Tail rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazzii16

I have about a year and half your old beardie and he is a citrus color and I had notice some discoloration in his beard and his tail I think it’s tail rot how do I know if it really is?? The beard looks like someone sprinkled black powder on it and it’s just starting to turn the dark color and the tail and just a gray color

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Upload a picture of the tail and beard to there, and then to post them here when you go to reply hit the XIMG tab to select and post it.

The tail sounds like a normal shed however im not sure about the beard as black beards usually indicate pain or stress however since i cant see it im not too sure.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Usually when both the beard and the tail darken, it's not a problem like "tail rot" at all, as when they black beard, for whatever reason they are black-bearding, their tails also turn black. So no, this is probably not at all "tail rot".

Has he had an injury or retained shed on his tail? In order for them to develop "tail rot", they have to have had either an open wound to the tail that got infected, or they have to have something cutting the circulation of to their tails, like a band of retained shed around the tail, which causes the portion of their tail below the circulation barrier to become necrotic and die. "Tail Rot" is simply a general term for an infection in the tail, usually bacterial in nature, that causes the tissue below the infection to become "necrotic" (tissue turns black and dies), and unless they get medical intervention with antibiotics the infection continues to spread up the tail towards their body, killing all of the tissue along the way, and eventually it will reach their bloodstream, they become septic, and will eventually die without medical intervention. That being said, "Tail Rot" is not something that just starts on it's own out of nowhere. He'd have to have had an open injury or circulation barrier of some kind first, for a while, and you'd be aware of that.

Again, you can post a photo for confirmation, but if he was also black-bearding then it's just a result of the black beard. Now as to why he's black-bearding I don't know, that is caused either by pain or discomfort of some sort, high stress caused by something, or hormones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom