Possible swollen leg - worried owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

First ever post here:

Our bearded dragon is male and 1 and a half years old.

Woken up this morning to what seems like a swollen front left leg and foot - he’s a hypo so struggling to tell if he’s just about to shred or not as it’s also gone distinctly white (see pictures)

He’s using the foot fine and will put weight on it and after having a warm bath has walked straight back to his basking spot no problem.

What are your thoughts based on this picture ?
96686-3450223110.jpg
96686-1692611939.jpg
96686-8498776271.jpg
96686-459471709.jpg
96686-6435893602.jpg

This is the back of his leg - he has just walked through some
Muck this minute so ignore the brown stain
96686-730715599.jpg

96686-481591588.jpg

This is him in his full glory
96686-8477760218.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's very beautiful ! I see a very slight difference but nothing alarming. It may be just that's it's in shed which can cause the leg to look slightly bigger.

drakeydragon

Original Poster
AHBD":1nt5c8g4 said:
He's very beautiful ! I see a very slight difference but nothing alarming. It may be just that's it's in shed which can cause the leg to look slightly bigger.

Thank you - I’m sure he’d head bop you for the compliment haha !

Thanks for your opinion, I’ve bought some shedding aid on next day delivery so I’ll start applying it tomorrow once it comes and hopefully that will help !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is quite stunningly handsome! LOL :D
I agree, the swelling doesn't look too much different from the other hand, so hopefully it is
just fluid underneath of the scales, from shedding.
He will shed that off pretty soon so let us know how he is doing after it all sheds off.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I see the swelling too, it's very slight and most likely (hopefully) due to the shed, which yes, he's going through a shed. As Tracie already mentioned, their extremities do tend to fill with a bit more fluid than normal to help the shed along. So that is most likely what is going on here.

Just to give you the best advice I can, if he starts limping or showing any signs of pain in that leg/foot or any other extremities that swell up, then that's not from the shed. So look out for limping or favoring any swollen limbs.

Other than watching for pain, basically what you need to do is just wait until his shed is completely over, and once it is check to ensure the swelling has gone. If he's done with his shed and his foot/leg are still swollen or any other extremities are swollen or showing signs of pain after the shed is completely over, that's when you've got a problem. Hopefully that won't happen, I don't think it will at all. He's a handsome boy and he looks very healthy...

drakeydragon

Original Poster
EllenD":3q094hus said:
I see the swelling too, it's very slight and most likely (hopefully) due to the shed, which yes, he's going through a shed. As Tracie already mentioned, their extremities do tend to fill with a bit more fluid than normal to help the shed along. So that is most likely what is going on here.

Just to give you the best advice I can, if he starts limping or showing any signs of pain in that leg/foot or any other extremities that swell up, then that's not from the shed. So look out for limping or favoring any swollen limbs.

Other than watching for pain, basically what you need to do is just wait until his shed is completely over, and once it is check to ensure the swelling has gone. If he's done with his shed and his foot/leg are still swollen or any other extremities are swollen or showing signs of pain after the shed is completely over, that's when you've got a problem. Hopefully that won't happen, I don't think it will at all. He's a handsome boy and he looks very healthy...

Thank you for your help and advice !

His other front foot has begun to turn the same white so we suspect it’s definitely just shed on his other leg ‘phew!’

The shedding aid seems to have helped settle down the swelling that was there :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great news the other arm is looking the same then! :D
It should return to normal size as soon as the shedding is done. How is he doing today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom