BEARDED DRAGON ATE TOE PLEASE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadybot

My bearded dragon seemed like it was shedding on its foot so when i was him scampering around almost rubbing his foot against stuff I didn't think much of it. Now I'm sitting in my room and I hear a crunch I look up at my dragon and he see him bite one of his toe joints off (one of the smaller ones) it was horrifying I quickly put food in his cage thinking maybe he was hungry?? But he ate a lot today and has gone longer without food. PLEASE HELP I don't want my dragon to eat itself there is a little bit of blood on his toe now where he but the joint off. his whole nail is gone. The rest of his body including the foot looks normal. please let me know if there is anything i can do to prevent this from happening again i love my bearded dragon so much... his set up I think is good. he has good lighting tile substrate and a 40 gallon breeder tank. i feed him collard greens everyday usually with a bit of carrot or parsley every other day. and fruit like apple as treats. If the toe is ok and he wont do it again how can i clean him up so he wont get infected or at least so the blood comes off his mouth thanks. I need more advice other than "just take him to the vet" thanks again :( :(

jadybot

Original Poster
I dont understand how to upload an image its just taking me to a different browser and then nothing??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can't walk you through it other than how I posted the link. But just go ahead and wrap it like I said in that will keep him from biting it anymore. The raw honey acts as an antibiotic ointment. Just be sure there are no loose bugs anywhere in the tank to attack his toe.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it was irritating him so he bit it. That happens sometime if they snag + tear a nail or if the skin is restricting the toe. It will be fine if you wrap it.

jadybot

Original Poster
as you can see its his smaller toe. the entire nail and nail bed is gone and he swallowed it. So far he has not eaten any of his other toes and is acting ok. The area however is all bloody ripped up and red with toe bone exposed. I dont want it to become infected?? how can I treat the wound or should I just leave it alone?? what could have caused this how can i prevent it again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Raw honey is a natural antibiotic, that's why I mentioned it. Just put that on and wrap it. If you don't have any you can put watered down betadine on it + do the same.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jadybot":3f86197o said:
I dont understand how to upload an image its just taking me to a different browser and then nothing??

try this : viewtopic.php?f=30&t=236881 in future

That toe looks nibbled , apply some medi-honey to the stump , make sure no crickets are left in the tank and there is no particulate substrate in use.
You can also make up some dilute betadiene in luke warm water in a tumbler or small dish , a few drops until the water goes the colour of weak tea , and soak the injured toe in this daily for 10 - 15 minutes .
Keep it clean and it'll heal without becoming infected , but be sure to keep an eye on it and be prepared to take him to REPTILE VET if it looks infected .

jadybot":jk3y9p5y said:
i tried biting off more of the toe )): I dont know how to get him to stop
You mean HE tried biting off more of the toe right? I'm assuming that's what you meant but I wanted to make sure because I had a heart attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom