Weird belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeheehee363

96682-6341461008.jpg

Has anyone seen something like this before? What is it? It's not a stress mark and it doesn't go away, it's been about two weeks now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Unless he had severe diarrhea that might be black fungus. Is there anything you can think of that he would have laid in to cause this and did you just notice it ?

Teeheehee363

Original Poster
My roommate is her normal handler so while I just noticed it today, he said it's been there for about two weeks. He also just informed me that around that time he had given her a bath and then was trying to warm her up by holding her over her heat lamp and she jumped on it (he's very bright) so now I'm leaning towards a burn. I made her an appointment at the vet tomorrow so here's hoping it's easily treatable!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, I had thought possibly a burn but they don't usually look so dark. You can apply raw [ unpasteurized] honey to it to expedite the healing . There's really nothing that works better. Apply the honey and then a snug but not too tight gauze wrap and that should heal up very well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, just from your description I would say a burn, poor thing. The raw honey is very good
if you get him started on it.
Be sure you have him on a solid substrate, so the area doesn't get dirty. Let us know how he is
doing & how the vet visit goes!

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh my, that's either a very nasty burn, a fungal infection, or both. I'd be getting him to an experienced reptile vet ASAP and I'd request that they do a "Skin Scraping Test" and send it off for testing, this is the ONLY way to diagnose a fungal infection, what type of fungal infection it is, and what Anti-Fungal medication will work to treat it. A lot of vets, specifically "exotics" vets or general vets, will not do Skin Scraping test unless you demand that they do it, they'll just look at it and guess what it is, and even end up prescribing a freaking Antibiotic "just in case it's a bacterial infection", and often times the Antibiotic actually ends up making the infection much, much worse because it's not a bacterial infection at all but rather a fungal infection, and only Antifungal meds will treat it, antibiotics given to treat a fungal infection often end in a horrible mess that lasts for months and months of the dragon getting worse, multiple vet visits, all kinds of tests, etc. So don't allow the vet to prescribe ANYTHING until they do a Skin Scraping test and send it out for the results, which usually take a few days. They aren't expensive tests at all and are very necessary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom