HELP! Beardie breathing problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristian

My baby dragon has been gaping a lot today but it doesn't feel the same? It's 108° in his tank and he's always loved that, he hasn't been eating as much lately and has acted fairly lethargic. He's been puffing his beard out quite a bit and it looks as if he's taking long breaths, I'm not sure if it's too hot or if he's sick, any suggestions?? In addition, after i gave him a bath today he was puffing his beard out and i heard a slight popping noise each time.

94931-9624350625.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kristian, it's O.K if ONLY the hottest basking spot is 108 at the most but what are the temps. through the rest of the tank ? You need to have at least part of the tank no more than 78-80 [ the cool side ] and a gradient in the upper 80's to 90's also.Can you post a pic of the entire tank ? He may be thirsty, offer some water drops on his snout. Drip, stop repeat to give him a chance to drink.

Kristian

Original Poster
AHBD":2hbvm05u said:
Hi Kristian, it's O.K if ONLY the hottest basking spot is 108 at the most but what are the temps. through the rest of the tank ? You need to have at least part of the tank no more than 78-80 [ the cool side ] and a gradient in the upper 80's to 90's also.Can you post a pic of the entire tank ? He may be thirsty, offer some water drops on his snout. Drip, stop repeat to give him a chance to drink.

I offer him water on a daily basis but i do believe he's a bit dehydrated. Another thing is the humidity in his tank, I can't seem to keep it low, i don't really know what to do to get it low.. ( Photos of tank i can post later on in the night when I'm home! :) ) [Edited] The side closest to me resides around 75-83 and on the right side it lies around upper 80's! Forgot to mention that prior.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Are you using only a stick-on thermometer? If so, this is the problem, as stick-on thermometers can only measure Ambient (air) temperatures, not Surface Temperatures, and his "Basking Spot" Temperature is a Surface Temperature...

Basking Spot Surface Temp: Between 105-110 degrees F maximum

Hot Side Ambient (air) Temp: Between 88-93 degrees F maximum

Cool Side Ambient (air) Temp: Between 75-80 degrees F maximum

What AHBD was saying is that if you're only using stick-on thermometers and the one on the Hot Side of the tank is reading 108 degrees F, then that is not his Basking Spot Temperature, it's actually his Hot Side Ambient (air) Temperature, which should only be betwee 88-93 degrees maximum...And if his Hot Side Ambient (air) Temp is that high, then obviously the Basking Spot Surface Temp would be way higher than 110 degrees F, which is the hottest it should be ANYWHERE inside a Bearded Dragon's tank...

So if you're not using either a Digital Probe Thermometer or an Infrared Temp Gun to actually measure the Basking Spot Surface Temp, and you're just getting 108 degrees on a stick-on thermometer that is located in the Hot Side of the tank, it's about 17-20 degrees too hot!!!

Kristian

Original Poster
EllenD":3elg7sw9 said:
Are you using only a stick-on thermometer? If so, this is the problem, as stick-on thermometers can only measure Ambient (air) temperatures, not Surface Temperatures, and his "Basking Spot" Temperature is a Surface Temperature...

Basking Spot Surface Temp: Between 105-110 degrees F maximum

Hot Side Ambient (air) Temp: Between 88-93 degrees F maximum

Cool Side Ambient (air) Temp: Between 75-80 degrees F maximum

What AHBD was saying is that if you're only using stick-on thermometers and the one on the Hot Side of the tank is reading 108 degrees F, then that is not his Basking Spot Temperature, it's actually his Hot Side Ambient (air) Temperature, which should only be betwee 88-93 degrees maximum...And if his Hot Side Ambient (air) Temp is that high, then obviously the Basking Spot Surface Temp would be way higher than 110 degrees F, which is the hottest it should be ANYWHERE inside a Bearded Dragon's tank...

So if you're not using either a Digital Probe Thermometer or an Infrared Temp Gun to actually measure the Basking Spot Surface Temp, and you're just getting 108 degrees on a stick-on thermometer that is located in the Hot Side of the tank, it's about 17-20 degrees too hot!!!

Oh, no the stick on reads around 88, i used an infared temp gun to measure everything to check for heat, the lethargic attitude he was having was from shedding, which started the day after. My lil boy is fine now, thank you though! :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great to hear he is fine now. When you get a reading of the basking surface temp, make sure to hold the temp gun about 2" from the area you're checking. ;)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So you have rechecked your temperatures & they are all alright?
The temp guns are very accurate so that's great you are using one for him. I'm glad
to hear that he is ok now.
They do tend to slow down some during shed phases & even stop eating, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom