HELP!! Bloody vomit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peep18

EllenD":2cavgtkv said:
Peep18":2cavgtkv said:
EllenD":2cavgtkv said:
First off, that doesn't at all look like blood to me, but rather the remnants of blueberries or raspberries, whatever it was that he ate, and it does look like poop, as AHBD already mentioned, not vomit, as it looks like a small bit of urate present in it. When they either vomit blood or pass it in their stools, it either shows up as being extremely dark in color (almost black), or if it's from active, internal bleeding it shows up as extremely bright red, oxygenated blood. This doesn't at all look like blood, it's pinkish/purple. And if he recently ate either blueberries or raspberries, I'd bet that he had a bowel movement and passed them in his stool/urate, especially if he's acting "normally".

That being said, your dragon is extremely small for being 2.5 years old, and if you've had him under a compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb his entire life, and that is most likely on top of a mesh lid that is blocking 40% of the already far too weak UVB/UVA light for any Desert Reptile, let along a Bearded Dragon, that means that he has pretty much gotten no UVB or UVA light at all his entire life. This is the explanation for his stunted size and what is most likely a severe calcium deficiency and MBD. It's also most likely why he's not properly digesting his food, resulting in what you're seeing here. I'd ask you how old the compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb you have is (they stop emitting any UVB light at all at 6 months old and must be replaced) or how far away it is from his Basking Spot/Platform (they must be within about 4" unobstructed by the mesh or anything else to emit adequate UVB or UVA light to a Bearded Dragon), but just using a compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB light that is only 13 watts and is probably being blocked by a mesh lid means he's gotten no UVB or UVA light anyway, so the details of it's set-up or age don't really matter anyway. Also, you must dust his live insects in a Reptile-Grade calcium powder at least 4-5 times a week and in a Reptile-Grade Multivitamin at least 3 times a week for a Bearded Dragon's entire life; once a week is not nearly enough for either, but again, unless he's under a strong, adequate UVB tube that is unobstructed by a mesh lid/plastic safety cover on the tube fixture, is within the correct distance from his Basking Spot/Platform (T8 UVB tube needs to be within at least 6" and a much stronger T5 UVB tube, which is absolutely what you must buy him immediately, along with a matching length, T5-rated tube fixture with a metal reflector inside it, must be within at least 11" of his Basking Spot/Platform), and is replaced every 6 months for a weaker T8 tube and every 12 months for a much stronger T5 tube, then it doesn't matter how often you dust his insects in either powder, as he cannot absorb nor process/use any of it, it's simply being excreted in his bowel movements, along with most all of the vitamins, minerals, and nutrition he's eating in his food and supplements.

You really need to go onto Amazon.com (cheapest place by far) and order at least a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube or a 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube, along with a 24" (for either brand) T5-rated tube fixture for it immediately, as this is surely the start of the signs/symptoms of a severe calcium deficiency and MBD showing up, and he'll only get worse and worse. I don't know exactly how much the 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube costs, but on Amazon.com you can buy a 22" (shortest you should buy, don't bother with the 16" because the wattage is actually lower and he needs a very strong UVB tube to try to reverse any damage possible) a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube for around $24 and then the cheapest 24" tube fixture that is rated for a 24 watt, T5 tube that has a Metal Reflector included in it costs $28 on Amazon.com. So you can order both for around $50 shipped and have them within the week. For comparison, they don't sell the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes in Petco or Petsmart, all they sell is either a package deal that includes a T5 rated light hood and a 5.0 T5HO UVB tube, which is only a 5% UVB tube and not much better than what you're using now, for $60, and then both Petco and Petsmart sell just an 18" Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube for $37.99 just for the tube without a fixture, and honestly, not only would it be silly to order a T8 UVB tube that is weaker and needs to be replaced every 6 months for almost as much money as the stronger, longer T5 10.0 tube and a fixture for it cost, but your Dragon really needs the stronger T5 UVB tube ASAP.

In the meantime, again I don't know how old the compact 10.0 UVB bulb you have is, but if it's less than 6 months old and it's not causing him any eye or neurological issues, you need to remove the mesh lid and get the bulb within at least 6" of him for the time being, until the adequate T5 UVB tube is shipped to you. If the compact 10.0 UVB bulb is over 6 months old then it's not emitting any UVB or UVA light anyway...

Please get him a T5 UVB tube and fixture ordered ASAP and get it set up over the Hot Side of his tank, right alongside his bright-white colored Basking Bulb (not end-to-end but both right alongside each other sharing the Hot Side of the tank), and then get his Basking Spot/Platform set up directly underneath both lights so that he gets both at the same time while he basks, this is replicating natural sunlight as closely as possible.
sorry to post on this topic (im not a expert but it dosent look like blood) but for ellen you seem to stress about the uvb which is know is important. i have this
https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-solar-glo-all-in-one/dp/124025?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Exo%20Terra&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JZlFKP4pxQBP-Io_4RBhKZKiBOS4vGTtfgP3dlUiulMEY1IruWL6YIaAjnbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
is that enough uvb for a 40gallon tank & young bearded dragon. i also have a little uvb bulb that came with the tank kit i dont use. should i double up or is the all in one solar glo fine?

Your SolarGlo is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, so it's an all-in-one bulb that emits both UVB/UVA and heat/basking light, but unfortunately, of all the MVB lights on the market, the SolarGlo is rated by far the weakest of them all, and in my opinion and in the opinion of a lot of others on this forum (based on the Solarmeter tests done on the bulb) the SolarGlo is not at all adequate for a Bearded Dragon in the amount of UVB or UVA that it emits. It's fine for a Tropical Reptile that doesn't need strong, intense UVB light, but for a Bearded Dragon they are not at all recommended.

If you want to stick to a Mercury Vapor Bulb and not go to a long UVB tube and a separate bright-white colored Basking Bulb for the heat and basking light, I very highly recommend that you purchase a MegaRay MVB light that is the same wattage that you're using now (Assuming that all 3 of your temperature zones are being kept within the correct ranges by the wattage of SolarGlo you're currently using). For a 40 Gallon Breeder tank you want the 100 watt MegaRay, as the other option is the 160 watt MegaRay, and it will be way too hot for a 40 Gallon Breeder tank. The MegaRay will fit in the current light fixture you're using for the SolarGlo, and it needs to be within about the same distance of his Basking Spot/Platform as the SolarGlo does, I believe most people keep their MVB bulbs between 12"-16" away from the Basking Spot/Platform, depending on the Basking Spot Surface Temperature readings you get after you set the MegaRay up.

The other really good (more expensive though) MVB light for Dragons is the Arcadia MVB light, so that's another option. I'm honestly not very familiar with the PowerSun MVB light, though I know people who use it without any issues, but I've heard nothing but excellent reviews and seen wonderful results from the MegaRay, so that's the one I recommend as far as MVB lights go. Either way, I'd seriously get rid of the SolarGlo ASAP, as I've personally seen severe calcium deficiency and MBD in Bearded Dragons that have been under the SolarGlo since they were babies.

dang alright. right now i just have the solarglo and its 160watt in my 40 gallon tank at first i got the 125 watt or 100 watt cant remember and it wasnt near hot enough right now i have the basking rock at 107 but normal he is on the little wood branches which are about 100-106. cold side is about 81 (he rarley goes on that side though) ill look into getting a better uvb light for him as soon as possible.. if i do change to the tube setup which one is best? that not too expensive. and does the basking bulb matter? or its jsut good if i find the right tempature?

Peep18

Peep18":2lqyi8t5 said:
EllenD":2lqyi8t5 said:
Peep18":2lqyi8t5 said:
EllenD":2lqyi8t5 said:
First off, that doesn't at all look like blood to me, but rather the remnants of blueberries or raspberries, whatever it was that he ate, and it does look like poop, as AHBD already mentioned, not vomit, as it looks like a small bit of urate present in it. When they either vomit blood or pass it in their stools, it either shows up as being extremely dark in color (almost black), or if it's from active, internal bleeding it shows up as extremely bright red, oxygenated blood. This doesn't at all look like blood, it's pinkish/purple. And if he recently ate either blueberries or raspberries, I'd bet that he had a bowel movement and passed them in his stool/urate, especially if he's acting "normally".

That being said, your dragon is extremely small for being 2.5 years old, and if you've had him under a compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb his entire life, and that is most likely on top of a mesh lid that is blocking 40% of the already far too weak UVB/UVA light for any Desert Reptile, let along a Bearded Dragon, that means that he has pretty much gotten no UVB or UVA light at all his entire life. This is the explanation for his stunted size and what is most likely a severe calcium deficiency and MBD. It's also most likely why he's not properly digesting his food, resulting in what you're seeing here. I'd ask you how old the compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb you have is (they stop emitting any UVB light at all at 6 months old and must be replaced) or how far away it is from his Basking Spot/Platform (they must be within about 4" unobstructed by the mesh or anything else to emit adequate UVB or UVA light to a Bearded Dragon), but just using a compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB light that is only 13 watts and is probably being blocked by a mesh lid means he's gotten no UVB or UVA light anyway, so the details of it's set-up or age don't really matter anyway. Also, you must dust his live insects in a Reptile-Grade calcium powder at least 4-5 times a week and in a Reptile-Grade Multivitamin at least 3 times a week for a Bearded Dragon's entire life; once a week is not nearly enough for either, but again, unless he's under a strong, adequate UVB tube that is unobstructed by a mesh lid/plastic safety cover on the tube fixture, is within the correct distance from his Basking Spot/Platform (T8 UVB tube needs to be within at least 6" and a much stronger T5 UVB tube, which is absolutely what you must buy him immediately, along with a matching length, T5-rated tube fixture with a metal reflector inside it, must be within at least 11" of his Basking Spot/Platform), and is replaced every 6 months for a weaker T8 tube and every 12 months for a much stronger T5 tube, then it doesn't matter how often you dust his insects in either powder, as he cannot absorb nor process/use any of it, it's simply being excreted in his bowel movements, along with most all of the vitamins, minerals, and nutrition he's eating in his food and supplements.

You really need to go onto Amazon.com (cheapest place by far) and order at least a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube or a 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube, along with a 24" (for either brand) T5-rated tube fixture for it immediately, as this is surely the start of the signs/symptoms of a severe calcium deficiency and MBD showing up, and he'll only get worse and worse. I don't know exactly how much the 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube costs, but on Amazon.com you can buy a 22" (shortest you should buy, don't bother with the 16" because the wattage is actually lower and he needs a very strong UVB tube to try to reverse any damage possible) a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube for around $24 and then the cheapest 24" tube fixture that is rated for a 24 watt, T5 tube that has a Metal Reflector included in it costs $28 on Amazon.com. So you can order both for around $50 shipped and have them within the week. For comparison, they don't sell the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes in Petco or Petsmart, all they sell is either a package deal that includes a T5 rated light hood and a 5.0 T5HO UVB tube, which is only a 5% UVB tube and not much better than what you're using now, for $60, and then both Petco and Petsmart sell just an 18" Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube for $37.99 just for the tube without a fixture, and honestly, not only would it be silly to order a T8 UVB tube that is weaker and needs to be replaced every 6 months for almost as much money as the stronger, longer T5 10.0 tube and a fixture for it cost, but your Dragon really needs the stronger T5 UVB tube ASAP.

In the meantime, again I don't know how old the compact 10.0 UVB bulb you have is, but if it's less than 6 months old and it's not causing him any eye or neurological issues, you need to remove the mesh lid and get the bulb within at least 6" of him for the time being, until the adequate T5 UVB tube is shipped to you. If the compact 10.0 UVB bulb is over 6 months old then it's not emitting any UVB or UVA light anyway...

Please get him a T5 UVB tube and fixture ordered ASAP and get it set up over the Hot Side of his tank, right alongside his bright-white colored Basking Bulb (not end-to-end but both right alongside each other sharing the Hot Side of the tank), and then get his Basking Spot/Platform set up directly underneath both lights so that he gets both at the same time while he basks, this is replicating natural sunlight as closely as possible.
sorry to post on this topic (im not a expert but it dosent look like blood) but for ellen you seem to stress about the uvb which is know is important. i have this
https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-solar-glo-all-in-one/dp/124025?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Exo%20Terra&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JZlFKP4pxQBP-Io_4RBhKZKiBOS4vGTtfgP3dlUiulMEY1IruWL6YIaAjnbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
is that enough uvb for a 40gallon tank & young bearded dragon. i also have a little uvb bulb that came with the tank kit i dont use. should i double up or is the all in one solar glo fine?

Your SolarGlo is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, so it's an all-in-one bulb that emits both UVB/UVA and heat/basking light, but unfortunately, of all the MVB lights on the market, the SolarGlo is rated by far the weakest of them all, and in my opinion and in the opinion of a lot of others on this forum (based on the Solarmeter tests done on the bulb) the SolarGlo is not at all adequate for a Bearded Dragon in the amount of UVB or UVA that it emits. It's fine for a Tropical Reptile that doesn't need strong, intense UVB light, but for a Bearded Dragon they are not at all recommended.

If you want to stick to a Mercury Vapor Bulb and not go to a long UVB tube and a separate bright-white colored Basking Bulb for the heat and basking light, I very highly recommend that you purchase a MegaRay MVB light that is the same wattage that you're using now (Assuming that all 3 of your temperature zones are being kept within the correct ranges by the wattage of SolarGlo you're currently using). For a 40 Gallon Breeder tank you want the 100 watt MegaRay, as the other option is the 160 watt MegaRay, and it will be way too hot for a 40 Gallon Breeder tank. The MegaRay will fit in the current light fixture you're using for the SolarGlo, and it needs to be within about the same distance of his Basking Spot/Platform as the SolarGlo does, I believe most people keep their MVB bulbs between 12"-16" away from the Basking Spot/Platform, depending on the Basking Spot Surface Temperature readings you get after you set the MegaRay up.

The other really good (more expensive though) MVB light for Dragons is the Arcadia MVB light, so that's another option. I'm honestly not very familiar with the PowerSun MVB light, though I know people who use it without any issues, but I've heard nothing but excellent reviews and seen wonderful results from the MegaRay, so that's the one I recommend as far as MVB lights go. Either way, I'd seriously get rid of the SolarGlo ASAP, as I've personally seen severe calcium deficiency and MBD in Bearded Dragons that have been under the SolarGlo since they were babies.

dang alright. right now i just have the solarglo and its 160watt in my 40 gallon tank at first i got the 125 watt or 100 watt cant remember and it wasnt near hot enough right now i have the basking rock at 107 but normal he is on the little wood branches which are about 100-106. cold side is about 81 (he rarley goes on that side though) ill look into getting a better uvb light for him as soon as possible.. if i do change to the tube setup which one is best? that not too expensive. and does the basking bulb matter? or its jsut good if i find the right tempature?
KyIPUGk.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
The best one that i could recommend is probably the reptisun or arcaidia T5 HO 10.0 tube light with a reflective fixture. The reptisun i know you can get on amazon, however i believe arcaidia has a website of sorts and has a higher % of uvb bulbs.

As far as the basking bulb goes just make sure its a bright white light, and you could possibly continue using the solarglo for this until it burns out, but only for heat and not uvb. After it burns out i'd suggest going for a 75-120 watt regular heat lamp.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Well maybe the MegaRay 160 watt is what you need, I could be thinking of a large wooden enclosure, which holds heat in 1,000 times better than a glass tank with a mesh lid, so that could be the reason you need the 160 watt...

As far as getting a long UVB tube, the one you want is the T5 strength without a doubt, if for not other reason than they only need replaced once a year, just like the MVB lights, whereas the much weaker T8 strength UVB tubes must be replaced every 6 months, must be strapped to the underside of the screen, and must be within at least 6" of the basking spot/platform. So either the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube or the 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVb tube, those are the 2 best you can buy...

Honestly, you'll pay about the same for just the MegaRay MVB as you will if you order the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVb tube and a 24" T5-rated tube fixture with a Metal Reflector, assuming you were to order both from Amazon.com, which is by far the cheapest place to buy both the tube and fixture. The 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVb tube costs about $24 on Amazon.com, and then the cheapest 24" T5-rated fixture with a Metal Reflector is around $28 on Amazon.com...so around $50 or so is as cheap as you can buy both the tube and the fixture, and from what I've seen on Amazon and eBay that's about the price of a new MegaRay. So the choice is yours, remember you'll also need to buy a bright-white basking bulb the adequate wattage because the UVB tubes emit no heat at all...

Just an FYI, if you see a "Package-Deal" thing sold by Reptisun that includes both a 24" T5-rated tube hood and then a 22" T5HO UVb tube in a pet shop or online for about $59.99, DON'T BUY IT!!!! It only includes a Reptisun 5.0 T5HO UVb tube, not the 10.0, and it only emits HALF the UVB that a Dragon needs. I just didn't want to see you make that mistake, someone on here just did that, literally after I replied to her post and mentioned not to buy that package deal she posted "Damn it, I didn't read your post before I went to the Pet Shop!!!" LOL...

Peep18

EllenD":39yw2uo2 said:
Well maybe the MegaRay 160 watt is what you need, I could be thinking of a large wooden enclosure, which holds heat in 1,000 times better than a glass tank with a mesh lid, so that could be the reason you need the 160 watt...

As far as getting a long UVB tube, the one you want is the T5 strength without a doubt, if for not other reason than they only need replaced once a year, just like the MVB lights, whereas the much weaker T8 strength UVB tubes must be replaced every 6 months, must be strapped to the underside of the screen, and must be within at least 6" of the basking spot/platform. So either the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube or the 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVb tube, those are the 2 best you can buy...

Honestly, you'll pay about the same for just the MegaRay MVB as you will if you order the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVb tube and a 24" T5-rated tube fixture with a Metal Reflector, assuming you were to order both from Amazon.com, which is by far the cheapest place to buy both the tube and fixture. The 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVb tube costs about $24 on Amazon.com, and then the cheapest 24" T5-rated fixture with a Metal Reflector is around $28 on Amazon.com...so around $50 or so is as cheap as you can buy both the tube and the fixture, and from what I've seen on Amazon and eBay that's about the price of a new MegaRay. So the choice is yours, remember you'll also need to buy a bright-white basking bulb the adequate wattage because the UVB tubes emit no heat at all...

Just an FYI, if you see a "Package-Deal" thing sold by Reptisun that includes both a 24" T5-rated tube hood and then a 22" T5HO UVb tube in a pet shop or online for about $59.99, DON'T BUY IT!!!! It only includes a Reptisun 5.0 T5HO UVb tube, not the 10.0, and it only emits HALF the UVB that a Dragon needs. I just didn't want to see you make that mistake, someone on here just did that, literally after I replied to her post and mentioned not to buy that package deal she posted "Damn it, I didn't read your post before I went to the Pet Shop!!!" LOL...
i think im gonig to get the Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb it fits better on this tank the tank is weird it has like plastic on the sides and screen on the middle so im not even sure if a 22 inch light fixture would fit on the screen properly plus a heat lamp. and the amazon shipping would take longer for the reptisun 10.0

Peep18

Peep18":cq6uqe4o said:
EllenD":cq6uqe4o said:

i think im gonig to get the Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb it fits better on this tank the tank is weird it has like plastic on the sides and screen on the middle so im not even sure if a 22 inch light fixture would fit on the screen properly plus a heat lamp. and the amazon shipping would take longer for the reptisun 10.0
i got the 100watt also alot of people said they used it on their 40 gallon breeder tank and said the 160watt would burn it up lol. im not sure if the solarglo is just crap but yeah i was suprised that i needed 160watt to get it around 105

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree, the 160 watt has to be way too hot for a 40 gallon breeder tank, I know people who use a 160 watt MegaRay over a 120 gallon tank, lol..

Make sure that the MegaRay is within about 14"-16" of his basking spot, I also know people who use MVB lights and they end up putting the MVB too close to the Basking Spot/Platform because they are trying to get the Basking Spot Surface Temp or Hot Side Ambient Temp within the correct ranges, and the MVB ends up causing eye damage or just being too close.

Also, do not try to put the MVB close enough to control the Cool Side Ambient Temp of the tank and to get it within 75-80 degrees. Simply put the 100 watt MegaRay at about 14" away from his Basking Spot, wait an hour, then take the Basking Spot Surface Temp and the Hot Side Ambient, and make small adjustments up and down to get those temps within the correct ranges. Once they are correct, THEN take the Cool Side Ambient Temp, and if it's lower than 75 degrees, and often it is, you may need to just buy a cheap Clamp Lamp at Walmart or the pet store and a very low watt, secondary Halogen Indoor Flood Bulb or bright-white colored Reptile Basking Bulb, either will be fine, to put over the Cool Side of the tank to get it up to 75 degrees. .

I always tell people to NEVER change the wattage of either an MVB light or the main, high-wattage Basking Bulb that is over the Hot Side of the tank just because the Cool Side Ambient Temp is too low. If you get the Basking Spot Surface Temp and the Hot Side Ambient Temp within the correct ranges by adjusting the height of the MVB light, then wonderful, roll with it! I have 3 dragons, and the youngest is still in a very large glass Exo Terra, and I use a long T5 UVB tube and a high-wattage Halogen Indoor Flood Bulb over the Hot Side of the Exo Terra, and the Cool Side is not only too cool (I think on first temperature reading it was around 55 degrees or so), but the Cool Side is also often very dark, so it needs a light over it anyway. So I bought both a 30 watt and a 40 watt Halogen Indoor Flood Bulbs, and the 40 watt got the Cool Side Ambient Temp to 77 degrees, and it also brightened up the Cool Side. Perfect.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
The Solar Glo MVB is an ok bulb, with a nice bright light spectrum. It isn't a very strong bulb
but that makes it perfect to use alongside of a strong T5 tube bulb. The Megarays are strong
but are just a spot bulb & not a flood bulb. So you could also use a T8 or even a T5 placed
strategically for a great UVB + basking area.

Tracie

Peep18

Drache613":o2nw0uhs said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing?
The Solar Glo MVB is an ok bulb, with a nice bright light spectrum. It isn't a very strong bulb
but that makes it perfect to use alongside of a strong T5 tube bulb. The Megarays are strong
but are just a spot bulb & not a flood bulb. So you could also use a T8 or even a T5 placed
strategically for a great UVB + basking area.

Traceie
i just got the megaray 100watt it seems pretty good. not as bright as my other light but other then that basking spot and all the cage temps are just fine. but you think its not enough uvb for him? if not what is a good cheap light fixture for the long tube bulbs i was at petsmart today and they where like 60$ just for the fixture lol. and would the reptisun 5.0 work? i feel like the 10.0 is too big for the top of my cage

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you got the Megaray all set up now & that the temperatures are doing well also.
They are high quality UVB but have a very narrow beam of exposure so it is recommended to
use a tube UVB in combination with it to ensure a better UVB coverage for him. The Reptisun
5 tube would be ok, used with a light fixture that has reflective backing. You could probably
find one at Home Depot with reflective backing to use.
Adding a tube would also increase overall brightness in the tank for him, too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Peep18

Drache613":1e24ubm8 said:
Hello,

That is great you got the Megaray all set up now & that the temperatures are doing well also.
They are high quality UVB but have a very narrow beam of exposure so it is recommended to
use a tube UVB in combination with it to ensure a better UVB coverage for him. The Reptisun
5 tube would be ok, used with a light fixture that has reflective backing. You could probably
find one at Home Depot with reflective backing to use.
Adding a tube would also increase overall brightness in the tank for him, too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
the lid on my tank is weird its a 40gal tank but i just measured on the lid i only have liek 15 inches of screen to work with for a tube light and the smallest reptisun one is 18" so im not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom