Kermit has gas in belly and I'm worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Well, it's good that his liver function and kidney function was fine, that's a big load off your mind...you know, I hate to say it, but if he had a 20g+ poop in him then that could have been effecting things as well, we all know how we feel when we have abdominal cramping, bloating, etc.

Definitely lethargy due to being overweight is probable, just like a person, dog, etc. It's tough when they refuse to eat many greens/veggies as an adult, I know, I had a boy like that too, he weighed around 680 grams during the last 4 years of his life or so, and I was always worried about Fatty Liver Disease, but he never showed any signs of it either...

I am glad that you chose to not give him the Baytril...see what I meant? No infection at all, and he would have most likely be made to feel worse than he did by being given an oral antibiotic that he didn't need at all. Then it would take him forever to start eating again, you risk a secondary fungal infection from the antibiotic, etc. I'm sorry if I got agitated during my first post, as I said it certainly wasn't at you but rather your vet, who by the way I don't think is trying to "take advantage" of you at all either. Some vets certainly do try to milk every cent they can out of people, your vet actually did the opposite, he didn't run all the possible tests that he could. It's usually the vets who work at large veterinary chains that do this, like Banfield Vet Hospitals (the ones owned by Petsmart), because that's their corporate business plan, and they actually have a flow chart of tests they have to try to milk out of people at each visit (I know multiple vets and vet techs that have worked for Banfield, all of which have quit after only short periods of time...stay away!) If they don't at the very least offer every diagnostic test and/or medication/prescription as they can possibly justify to ever patient then their monthly statistics will be lower than the country-wide average, and this causes issues with corporate, who will then send in instructors to tell the vets how to do their jobs in a way to maximize profits for their particular clinic/hospital, with absolutely no regard for the animal as long as they "do no direct harm" to them...it's sickening, they actually do go over the monthly statistics and compare them against the country-wide high, average, and low, and then have to figure out what they aren't offering and/or demanding that patients pay for.

Your vet was simply following what many other exotics vets do when they don't have an answer for what's wrong with a reptile or a bird, they prescribe an antibiotic "just in case", usually Baytril, and then "wait and see". It's becoming the norm unfortunately. But it's not typically a money-making thing, it's a lack of knowing what to do next thing...

I'm glad he's feeling better and that his gas is almost resolved, that can't be comfortable at all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great Kermit is doing so much better now!
I think moving the lights to a better distance should help out a lot for him. If he is more
active, that is a great sign for him.
At least the gas has subsided in him right now which is terrific, without the use of any
medications. I think if he slims down some & is able to become more active he will be
just fine!
He is a very handsome dragon. :D

Tracie

Dianah

Original Poster
He is a such a good boy. I'll do anything to keep him as healthy as he can be.

I suspect he's trying to brumate. He seems to be avoiding the really warm basking areas. He has a huge enclosure with 160 watt Mega Rays on the right and left with two 22" bulbs with good refection fixtures inside the enclosure about 12-14" above him. He spends a good bit of time under his logs lately. I often don't get home until 10pm and by then he's pretty sleepy. My husband says he's more active during the day, though. He will stand at the glass sometimes looking to be picked up--he's so dang cute. So, during the day hubby has been giving him a cuddle and then putting him on the floor so he can explore a bit--but, he'll usually just go find something to get underneath. He's not refusing food but he's definitely not eating as much as he was before it turned cold. I hand feed him (yes, he's spoiled rotten) and when he turns his head I don't force food. If he's beginning to brumate I don't want him to keep a full belly. I've read that a full tummy while bruminating isn't good for dragons. Is that correct? He could stand to lose a bit a weight, anyway. I'm weighing him often. He's running about 760-765 grams.

His belly is nice and soft and it's no longer tender; so, whatever was going on it seems to have resolved itself when he had that huge poo.

I really appreciate all the advice--and, not to worry--I don't get offended easily. It's not about me--it's about the wonderful little dragons who depend on us.

I'll let you know if anything changes; but, right now we're stable.

Thanks again, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom