My Juvenile BD is acting strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioR

So lately my BD has not been eating. She is about a month or 2 old. I am worried because she hasn't been eating anything I give her, I have given her live crickets (small), tried national geographics moist pellets: rejected, the juvenile bearded dragon sampler; tried one dried mealworm and rejected other offerings, she didnt even try the papaya, nor the small pellets. I'm not sure if I should go back to feeding her the small crickets or what. All she does is bask in her heating spot all day, sometimes she wanders her tank and I offer her food when she does but she just keeps rejecting the food. Do i have to assist her with her food? I am aware of what brumation is but I'm not sure if this is the case. Do I go back to feeding her live crickets? try salad? She also has been getting black stripes on her tummy when I mist her to give her a bit of hydration. Please help asap

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

While it could be some slow down due to the season, it most likely isn't because of her age.
How long have you had her?
Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
temperatures & how you measure them & the substrate too. If possible, please post some
pictures of her along with your tank so we can see the light placement, etc.
Are the crickets smaller than the space between her eyes?

Tracie

MarioR

Original Poster
I currently have 1 basking spot, reptile carpet, 2 dishes for food and water, and a half log on the cooler side of the tank. I have had her for a month or so but she was only a few weeks old when I got her. And yes the crickets were a bit bigger than her head but not too big for her to digest, she would eat about 4 when she did eat.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
What type of uvb light do you have? Is it a tube light, compact/coil or a MVB?
What brand of the uvb or MVB is it
If a tube light is it a T5 Ho 10.0, a t5 5.0, a t8 10.0 or a t8 5.0.
If compact/coil bulb is it a 10.0 or 5.0?
and is the uvb mounted inside or outside?
also how big is the tank?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, can you please list your UVB light? It will say right on the bulb or tube what it is as far as the brand, the wattage or strength (T8 or T5), and whether it is a regular compact bulb, a coil/spiral bulb, or a long tube in a long, flurescent tube fixture...And also, is it being obstructed by anything, such as the mesh lid of the tank, or if it's a long tube does it have a clear plastic cover on it that is obstructing the tube?

It sounds like inadequate UVB/UVA light, as a 2 month old beardie should be eating tons of live insects every single day. By the way, please never, ever feed him any freeze-dried insects, no mealworms at all, especially mealworms, as they are nothing but fat and hard chitlin shells that they have incredible trouble digesting and they can cause serious bowel impactions and obstructions. Most Bearded Dragons that are under a year old will not even eat many, if any greens or veggies either, they typically only eat live insects, which should be gut-loaded with the healthy greens and veggies that you try to feed him. The live insects should be smaller than the space between his eyes to prevent choking and bowel impaction, and freeze-dried insects have no nutritional value, they cause impaction and dehydration (Bearded dragons get most all of their hydration from the live insects that they eat and from the greens/veggies they eat when they are over a year old, they typically don't drink standing water, as they are from the Australian Desert and have no concept of it), so freeze-dried insects are extremely bad for them. Also, rarely do they eat any type of pellets or commercial foods.

They do most all of their growing and developing during their first year of life, and as such they eat pretty much nothing but live insect protein daily. He should be eating on average between 40-60 appropriately sized live insects every single day up to about 8 months old, then it starts to subside. There are of course variations in this number, but that's on average. When they are not getting at least 13-14 hours of adequate, strong UVB light from a strong, long UVB tube or have a proper temperature gradient within their tanks, they lose their appetites and become lethargic...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let us know how your little one is doing & about your tank setup so we can direct
you further.
Do try not to feed any cricket that is larger than the space between the eyes. Too large
of prey will cause a myriad of problems.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom