Baby with Coccidia- don’t trust vet help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! My almost 3 month old had starting have small seizures, long story short i took her to a vet- he didnt have anything to tell me that i didn’t already know, he didn’t even rule in MBD until i had brought it up to him. He took a fecal test and i just got the results back. She has high counts of coccidia and pinworm.

Now my question is does anyone have any advice on what i should be doing. The vet told me i should clean her viv anytime she poos. I have also read that i should get a probiotic to help her recover from th meds she’s going to receive. Also, she’s hardly eating, what is a good mix of food that i can syringe feed her. Any other advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your baby has coccidia & pinworms. The levels were really high?
Which meds is he going to be getting? I do feel that probiotics are very helpful when they do
get medications.
Which UVB light are you using & what type of calcium are you using?
I like to recommend keeping them warm overnight when they are not feeling well, to help
boost the immune system. You can use a ceramic heat emitter & try to keep it around 75-80.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
cydneejasmine":2u3eey3n said:
Hi everyone! My almost 3 month old had starting have small seizures, long story short i took her to a vet- he didnt have anything to tell me that i didn’t already know, he didn’t even rule in MBD until i had brought it up to him. He took a fecal test and i just got the results back. She has high counts of coccidia and pinworm.

Now my question is does anyone have any advice on what i should be doing. The vet told me i should clean her viv anytime she poos.
<<<< this is essential otherwise she will simply continually reinfect her self by having contact with the contaminated poos.

> treatment for Coccidia is 3 pronged : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=235387
>>> anticoccidic meds to kill the parasite in the GIT
>>> antiubiotics to treat secondary infection in the gut
>>> sterisation of EVERY thing in the viv and everytime the reptile poos.
>>> anything porous needs to be thrown out as it's going to be impossible to sterilize.

I have also read that i should get a probiotic to help her recover from th meds she’s going to receive. Also, she’s hardly eating, what is a good mix of food that i can syringe feed her.
>>> I'm helping a very sick / injured wild water skink who my wife rescued a week ago , and am feeding it VetaFarm (Reptile) Critta Care by syringe , fortunately it's licking this off it's snout so I don't need to resort to using a feeding needle to force feed it directly down it's thoat into it's stomach. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=238063

You could buy Repashi GrubPie and make it as a sloppy paste and give this using feeding nozzle on a a syringe like this
SYRINGE_and_green_feeding_cone_from_Ebay.png

The steel needle in the image is the 18 Gauge feeding needle I thought I was going to have to use. It's the finest finest feeding needle I have in my lizard first aid kit ( I have 10G , 14G , 16g and 18G feeding needles).
Be careful on the volume of liquid / sloppy slurry food you give, a guide is here : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687 , you need to weigh her and dose her feeding according to her bodyweight.

Any other advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

Just a tip to help get her to eat the slurry/ paste , I find a droplet of honey on the front of the lips gets a good response, once that taste honey , they can't get enough of it and will lick it off their snout lips as soon as they smell it and get a taste.
I'm giving Fluffy a droplet of manuka honey from a syringe when she stops eating , this encourages her to start licking the Critta Care off her nose and snouth again.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh I'm sorry he has both Coccidia and Pinworms, yes, please do put him on a probiotic every single day starting ASAP, even before he starts the meds. He's going to most likely be on Panacur for the Pinworms and then an Anti-Protozoan medication for the Coccidia, so him being on 2 harsh meds is going to be extremely hard on his GI tract, and they can also wipe out all of the healthy bacteria that normally lives in his GI tract and keep fungus at bay. The probiotics daily will help to replenish the healthy bacteria throughout his GI Tract, because the last thing she needs is to develop an additional yeast infection in his gut secondary to the medications killing off the healthy bacteria. Plus, the probiotics if given before the meds can keep their stomachs settled.

Yes, you must disinfect the tank any time he poops in it, otherwise he will reinfect himself every time he poops. The medications don't actually kill the parasites per se, they actually just flush them and their eggs out of their system and keep the female pinworms from laying anymore eggs. So the poop will have live Pinworms and Coccidia in it. So use very hot water and the best disinfectant to use is called F10, it kills both Pinworms and Coccidia. Bleach kills Pinworms but it won't kill the Coccidia, it's tough to kill. You can order F10 on Amazon.com.

I'd also order some Oxbow Critical Care, as Knobby's already mentioned, it's a paste you mix up and it provides them with the adequate nutrition they need so that he won't lose much weight, as he probably won't have much of an appetite while he's on the meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom