Impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Hi my 9 month old girl has barely eaten in the last couple of weeks and not pooped in nearly 5 days she's getting quite sluggish and much less friendly. Annoyingly I'm on holiday and my cousin is looking after her so don't have her to hand. Initially I thought it was just change of season but the lack of movement and poo is worrying me.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
What foods have you been feeding her? It could also be another person that they are not familiar with that might be causing a little bit of stress. My beardie knows me but whenever a family member comes in to see her she gets a little spooked, not sure who that person is.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My cousin has lived with me and periodically fed her over the last 3 months so they get on well. I usually feed her calci worms but had to get her some locusts and meal worms last week as the calci worms weren't available. She's not a big locust fan but will eat them eventually usually. I wonder if having them in her viv isn't helping but figured as they don't bite she.' d be ok and I only put 4-5 in at a time

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It may very likely be an impaction from the mealworms all of a sudden, it's very common and they should be avoided as a feeder because of this, as well as they are basically just shell and fat, very little protein, vitamins, minerals, nutrition in general.

4-5 days without pooping isn't awful, I don't worry until it's been 10 days or so for an adult, but I'd be giving a warmer than average bath at least once a day until she goes, she may need the warm water to help her go. If that doesn't produce a bowel movement in a day or two then you'll need to start feeding her laxative slurries with an oral syringe and then a warmer than average bath. Mix Prune Baby Food, plain raw canned pumpkin, and water or Pedialyte or an equivalent electrolyte solution, slightly warmed in the microwave.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I took her to the vet yesterday. They think she's semi brumating and as is the way of things the poo came a few hours after getting home. Going to change her lights on times to 16 on 8 off for a while and hope that gets her back to normal but much less worried now we have poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom