Dragon was choking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneCat

So ive been having poop issues with my 4 yr old girl Ms Zeus which is a whole other story but I've had to cut back her live insect count. Well shes a very aggressive eatter eith huge eyes and a small belly lol so i have to feed her a couple crickets at a time or shell go to town. Well this weekend i accidently poured in like 20 at once and she was going nuts. She was catching like 3 in one bite and barely chewing and eventually she started to choke. She was opening and closing her mouth and flaring out the bottom of her beard making gagging sounds and i didnt know what to do. I googled bd cpr and there was no info so i just quick reached in and massaged her throat till the pressure relieved( her throat was rock hard) well eventuslly it passed and immediatly afterwards she took a Huuuuuggeee poop. She was freaked out the rest of the day and didnt move much and upon further inspection i realized her besrd was slightly bulged out still. So i rubbed it a lil and she kinda made a gagg sound and openex up and i can still see a cricket back there she is storing. Now i know its normal but its a large cricket and its now been 24 hrs and its still back there i believe and i think its stuck and she cant swallow it but she can breathe fine now. Anyone know what i should do?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That had to have been pretty scary to see that! I'm glad she is breathing better now.
Were the crickets larger than the space between her eyes? Since she is an adult, I
know it doesn't seem possible that they could get impacted by insects, but sometimes
they can. Do you feed with or without the wings?
It should pass but if she continues to have issues, you could consider taking her into the
vet if she needs help on clearing it out. Have you offered her some oral fluids, that might
help her out some.
Has her beard been black since the incident?

Tracie

ToneCat

Original Poster
They were wingless but still large. She normally has no issues eating them at all. She used to eat about 60 a week but ive had to cut back to 30 due to her poop issues but she hasnt black bearded at all since then and actually seemed to enjoy me massaging her beard on the lump. It just scared the **** out of me because she kept making the noise all day 2 days ago then yesterday didn't make it once but i know shes still gor some in her beard and im not sure why ya know

ToneCat

Original Poster
Also they were way smaller then the soace between her eyes. I make sure of that because i know shes an aggresive eater

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, good because sometimes the wings can get caught up in their throats! Since she is an
adult, 30-50 feeders of mixed variety or so, is good along with some vegetation.
How is she doing today? That's good to hear she hasn't black bearded today & seems to be
all calmed down now. I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie

ToneCat

Original Poster
Shes doing better. She was shedding around her mouth and went off greens for a few days but her diets back to normal. I really need ti get her some probiotics. Is bene bac for birds and reptiles a good one?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, the benebac probiotics for birds & reptiles is good & very effective.
That's great her mouth shed now. It sounds like she is getting back to normal now,
with a good appetite!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom