Someone PLEASE HELP!! First time having a sick beardie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmahony

Hi, my beardie isn’t himself the past few days..he is lethargic, not eating and his eyes look weird to me..like he won’t even open them all the way and it seems to be black/dark on the skin on his bottom eye lid below the eye ball..he also isn’t moving around like normal..he’s been staying in one spot and when I got him out to check him out he started “scooting” or pushing himself around on my lap just barley though..he doesn’t seem to want to move his legs around or use them to walk. I am extremely worried about him and this is the first time I’ve had any issues from him since we got him. He is about a year old we got him this time last year. I don’t know a lot about beardis, my husband surprised my little boy with his and he’s only 3 & my husband works a lot so the responsibility was put on me to care for him and I’ve become very attached to him. Just hope I haven’t done a poor job of it :( He has always been very happen and eaten well and been pretty active until the past few days. I’m not sure how to attach pictures or a video but I did take some to share for help. Please help me and also tell me how to attach pics/video if you don’t mind. This is my first time on the site. Thanks a million!!

Mmahony

Original Poster
Also, I forgot to add that his nose seems to be blocked on each side..I had a similar issue with him before but it was just shedding that was stuck and I was able to pull it out..this doesn’t seem to be the same..his breathing also seems a little off when I am holding him or have him out and “awake” he isn’t opening his mouth but he is breathing strange with his mouth closed. I can see it in his neck/throat area and it seems like he’s taking deep breaths. :(

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Go to user image uploader, upload the images and then come back here and hit "XIMG" to select the pictures. Make sure to take a picture of his setup and can you tell me what his temps are, his uvb brand, and what he normally eats along with what his substrate/bedding is?

Mmahony

Original Poster
He eats meal worms, he has never wanted to eat greens much at all..I’ve tried and he has ate it maybe a handful of times..I will post pictures of his enclosure and lights too.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Yikes, i'd quit the mealworms immediately and go out and get some healthy foods like dubias and crickets, and calciworms. Get a new uvb bulb as well, the wrong lighting and diet may be the problem with him. I recommend getting a reptisun t5 ho 10.0 tube light so he can have some good uvb, the coil uvb is most likely the main problem with his eyes. Get him a new heat lamp as well, the red/colored ones hurt their eyes as well and they can see it too.

Mmahony

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":3i9qmk0w said:
Yikes, i'd quit the mealworms immediately and go out and get some healthy foods like dubias and crickets, and calciworms. Get a new uvb bulb as well, the wrong lighting and diet may be the problem with him. I recommend getting a reptisun t5 ho 10.0 tube light so he can have some good uvb, the coil uvb is most likely the main problem with his eyes. Get him a new heat lamp as well, the red/colored ones hurt their eyes as well and they can see it too.

Thank you, I’m using what I’ve been told to use..the people at the pet store where I got him told me all of these things..I just bought this big enclosure and this big strip on top to put lights in..can the lights you are talking about be put in this same thing? I seriously am clueless but I want to learn and help my little guy. All I know is what I’ve been told by the place I buy his thinsg from and the lady who helps me there has two beardies so I thought she would know what she’s talking about :( would you mind giving me a list of things I need for him and things I need to change?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
He doesn't look well at all, I'm sorry you're dealing with this, but I'm suspecting this is a nutritional deficiency that has to do with inadequate UVB//UVA lighting and improper temperatures, along with a bad diet. He looks quite small/stunted from being a year old, could you please post a photo of his entire enclosure and lights, and a couple of full-body photos of him? It may just be the angle and the fact that the photo is only of his head and neck, but he really looks like he's quite stunted. Do you know how long he is in inches from the tip of his snout to the very end/tip of his tail?

I suspect that the UVB light that you have been using since you got him is not adequate for a bearded dragon, as this is usually the main cause for these problems. There are actually very few UVB lights sold that are adequate for bearded dragons, even most of the ones that are labeled as being for bearded dragons. If you are using either a compact UVB bulb (looks like a regular lightbulb) or a coil/spiral UVB bulb, it is most likely inadequate and he has gotten very little to no UVB/UVA light at all since you got him. This is unfortunately very common, people who buy bearded dragons at pet shops get horrible advice from employees who know nothing about desert reptiles, who have very specific lighting and temperature needs. Without 13-14 hours of adequate strength UVB light a bearded dragon's body cannot manufacture any of it's own Vitamin D3, and without any Vitamin D3 they cannot absorb or process/use any nutrition that they take in from their food or from their calcium and multivitamin supplements. This causes bone density and vitamin deficiency disease, such as Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) and Vitamin B1 deficiency. It also stops them from growing and developing correctly and they typically become stunted and have mobility and paralysis issues.

If you can tell us exactly what brand, model/wattage, and type (compact, coil, or tube) of UVB light you use, whether or not it is obstructed by anything, specifically a mesh lid on his tank (which blocks around 40% of the already too weak UVB light), and how many inches the UVB light is away from the main Basking Spot/Platform that he basks on in the Hot Side of his tank? And how old is his UVB light, have you replaced it in the year since you bought it? This information will tell us if this is the issue.

Also, what wattage and color of basking bulb does he have over his main Basking Spot/Platform in the Hot Side of his tank? And what type of thermometer due you use to measure his temperature zones inside his tank (stick-on, Digital with a Probe, or a Temperature Gun)? Do you know what the temperatures are for his Basking Spot Surface Temp (should be between 100-105 degrees), his Hot Side Ambient (air) Temp (between 88-93 degrees), and his Cool Side Ambient (air) Temp (between 75-80 degrees)? Do you use any other lights besides a UVB light and a Basking bulb? Also, how many hours do you leave both his UVB light and his basking light on every day?

I'm also assuming his diet is not good, mealworms are not a live insect that should be fed to bearded dragons as a daily staple insect, they are mostly all very hard chitlin shell, which dragons cannot properly digest and may have also caused a bowel impaction, this is very common. The rest of mealworms is mostly fat, so this is also contributing to his stunted growth and sickness for sure. Bearded Dragons continue to grow up until they are 2 years old, but 80%+ of their growth is done during their first year of life. This is why not many babies or juveniles eat many greens or veggies, because they don't need them and don't have to. If a baby or juvenile dragon under a year old does eat greens and veggies, it should only be considered a bonus and not a real part of his daily diet. They need tons and tons of live, healthy staple insects every single day up until they are at least a year old. They should be fed these live insects in at least 2 daily feeding sessions every single day, 3 feeding sessions daily is better up until at least 8 months. Each feeding session should last between 10-15 minutes and during that time period they should be allowed to eat as many live, healthy, staple insects as they want to. These insects include gut-loaded crickets, Dubias and other species of roaches, Silkworms, or Phoenix Worms/BSFL/Caciworms/Nutrigrubs/Reptiworms (all the same thing just different brands).

For example, I currently have a 6 month old boy who eats BSFL/Phoenix Worms as his primary daily live insect. I gut-load his BSFL every day with the same healthy greens that I offer him every day, which include collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole, endive, bok chok, swiss chard, and arugula (no kale and no spinach, bad for dragon because they bind any calcium they eat and prevent calcium absorption). I turn his UVB and his bright white basking light on first thing in the morning and let them on for at least 1-2 hours before feeding him anything so he will be better able to digest and absorb his nutrition. Then I give him his first 10-15 minute live insect feeding session of the day, where he typically eats between 15-20 large BSFL. Then I put a salad of fresh, healthy greens in his enclosure (though he doesn't eat much at all) that I leave in until I turn his lights off for bed. He gets his second live insect feeding session around 1 in the afternoon usually, sometimes later, where he usually eats the same, between 15-20 large BSFL. Then he gets his third and final live insect feeding of the day around 7 at night (you must allow him at least 1-2 hours under his lights after he eats his final meal of the day before you shut them off for bedtime). During this 10-15 minute feeding session he usually only eats around 10 large BSFL. So at 6 months old he usually eats between 40-50 live, large Phoenix worms every single day. I dust one feeding of his worms per day in calcium powder 5 days a week, and one feeding of his worms per day in a reptile multivitamin powder 3 days a week. I order their live insects online in bulk, as most owners do (I have 3 dragons), you save a fortune and this makes healthy feeders available as most pet shops only carry crickets, no roaches, silkworms, or BSFL. I give them live insects that are considered "treat" insects 2-3 days a week, and they include wax worms, butterworms, and hornworms (and superworms for my year old girl who is 19" long and can digest them; never feed a dragon any size of superworms until they are at least 14"-16" long, they cannot digest them otherwise). Mealworms in my opinion should not be fed to dragons at all because there is no nutritional benefit to them at all, only bad stuff. They don't contain much protein, hardly any fluid for hydration, most just hard shell and fat. Some people choose to feed their dragons mealworms as occasional treats, which is fine, but we're talking a few a week.

I'm so sorry your son's dragon is not well, but we will do everything we can to help you get him on the right track once we have more info on what's going on...

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, just saw your photos, he isn't nearly as stunted in size as he appeared to be in that first photo, thank God...his eyes are definitely hurting as a result of both the Coil UVB (known to commonly cause eye damage and neurological damage) and the red basking light. Dragons see in full color just like we do, so any colored bulbs cause confusion between day and night as well as a host of other issues. Plus, it's your main goal to replicate natural sunlight for him directly over to of his main Basking Spot/Platform, which is located within the Hot Side of his tank. You do this by putting a long 18" or 24" T5 UVB tube over the Hot Side of his tank and putting a Bright White colored Basking Bulb right alongside the UVB tube, so he gets both lights at the same time while he's basking. Both of these lights should be on every single day for at least 13-14 hours.

You'll need to get a Digital Probe Thermometer (they are digital thermometers that have a probe on a wire that you can place right on his main Basking Spot/Platform to take the Basking Spot Surface Temp), which cost $10 at any Petco or PetSmart, but you're most likely going to have to order his new UVB tube and the matching length tube fixture for it to be in online, the cheapest place is from Amazon.com, and they sell reptile Digital Probe Thermometers for under $5.

Unfortunately the new UVB tube will also need a new matching length fixture that is rated for the tube you buy. There are really only 2 brands of UVB tubes that emit adequate UVB light for a dragon and that do not emit any other harmful light rays (avoid the brands All Living Things, Zilla, and ReptileOne for sure). The 2 brands you want are either Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia. The long UVB tubes come in 2 different strengths, T8 (weaker) and T5 (stronger). We always highly suggest buying a T5 strength, as the T8 needs replaced once every 6 months (as did your coil UVB bulb), must be strapped to the underside of the mesh lid and inside the tank, and be within at least 6" of his main Basking Spot/Platform, whereas the T5 strength UVB tubes only need replaced once every 10-12 months and can sit on top of the mesh lid as long as the main Basking Spot/Platform is within 11" of the T5 UVB tube (the reason the UVB bulbs/tubes must be replaced either every 6 months or every year is because at those ages they stop emitting any UVB light at all, even though the tubes will not be burnt out at those ages and will still light up and turn on).

The Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB tubes come in lengths of 16", 22", 34", etc. and fit into T5-rated tube fixtures in the lengths of 18", 24", 36", etc. I order 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tubes on Amazon.com for $23 a piece for the UVB tube (they cost almost $40 in stores, if you can find them, usually pet shops only carry the T8 strength tubes in 18"). Amazon also does special "Package-Deals" where once you select the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube at the price you want to buy, if you scroll down the page they will show you several package deals that include the UVB tube you selected along with a matching 24", T5-rated tube fixture for it.

*****The only thing you must make sure of is that whichever tube fixture you choose must include a metal reflector with it that sits behind where the UVB tube sits. The metal reflector will reflect the adequate UVB throughout his tank.*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom