Baby hasnt pooped in several days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Targ

Hi guys, I'm cross posting this from the health section. I am eliminating super worms asap. What else can I do for her?

Hey everyone! I have a lil baby leatherback who is about 3 months old, only about 8 inches long. She's a skittish little thing! A week or so ago, we ran into some appetite issues. Turns out I have the 5 watt bulb instead of the 10. Since the fix, her appetite has picked right back up. I was really scared there for a while! These forums have helped tremendously, so thanks to everyone who helps us noobs!

I am concerned because it has been about 4 days since her last poop. When I first got her, she was taking healthy dumps just about every day, every morning. I haven't seen a turd though, since she regained her appetite earlier this week. I have been giving her collard greens and veggies, and a few super worms -- I used supers because I was so desperate to tempt her to eat.

How can I help my baby poop? We tried a warm bath earlier, she hates it - lol. I tried to rub her belly a bit while in the water, but it's hard to massage her tummy because she is so small. I tried to drop some butternut squash baby food onto her nose, but she also hated that and ran away.

I read somewhere about feeding a bit of olive oil via syringe, but not sure if that's the best route.

Thanks everyone!

Targ

Original Poster
I offered her some pumpkin and she was NOT having any of it! I gave her about .02 ML or less of olive oil via syringe. I'm going to let her run around my bathroom a bit too to get things movin

Targ

Original Poster
Update: gave her .02 ML of olive oil via syringe! Let her sit for a bit, then took her into the bathroom to run around a bit.

She hopped up on my leg, made herself comfortable.. and took the most massive dump on my leg! Haha, I'm just relieved she pooped! Thanks everyone!

Targ

Original Poster
Update: gave her .02 ML of olive oil via syringe! Let her sit for a bit, then took her into the bathroom to run around a bit.

She hopped up on my leg, made herself comfortable.. and took the most massive dump on my leg! Haha, I'm just relieved she pooped! Thanks everyone!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Lol, I'm glad she finally went...Can I give you a bit of husbandry/diet advice though? Please, do not feed her anymore superworms at all until she is at least 14" long, because at 8" long she is way too small to eat any size of superworms, even the micro/small ones, and the same goes for mealworms, do not feed her even the small mealworms at 8" long, or this will just continue to happen. The mealworms really shouldn't be fed to any bearded dragon at any size or age, simply because they have too much fat, hardly any protein, and are made of like 80%+ shell, so there's no nutritional or health benefit to feeding a dragon of any age or size mealworms at all. Superworms are good feeders for ADULT dragons if they are used as a supplemental live feeder insect only, and are not fed to adult dragons every day or in quantities of more than 1 or 2 at a time. When I say that superworms should only be fed to dragons as a "supplemental live feeder insect" what I mean is that you should only feed him one of the 4 main, healthy staple feeder insects (always live, never freeze-dried or already dead, they cause impactions too and have no nutritional benefit and no fluids) every day in high quantities at least twice a day. If you decide to feed him superworms at all when he becomes old enough and large enough, he should be at least 14" long (16" long is better, basically over a year old) and should only get 1 or 2 superworms to supplement his regular staple insects, and should only get 1 or 2 superworms maybe once or twice a week. Choose either live crickets, Dubias or other species of roaches, Silkworms, or Phoenix Worms/Reptiworms/Calciworms/Nutrigrubs/BSFL (all the same thing), and you should gutload any of these live staple feeder insects with the same healthy, appropriate, fresh greens and veggies that you offer him every day.

Also, it's not uncommon for Bearded Dragons to not poop every day, or every other day, or even once a week. Babies typically have bowel movements more frequently than juveniles and adults, it seems the older they get the less often they go. I don't get worried until it's been at least 10 days since one of my guys has last had a bowel movement. So don't be surprised or freak out if he starts going less and less often as he gets older. Now at only 3 months old and 8" long, and knowing that you fed him superworms, this was a case where you knew he was at least slightly impacted, so yes, worry in this type of instance, but I just wanted to let you know what typically happens as they get older, as a lot of people get extremely worried when their 6 month old beardie who used to poop every day starts going once every 4 days and so on.

Also, as far as a Natural Laxative Slurry recipe for future use/reference, it's a really good idea to go out and buy the stuff you need now and then keep it in a "Bearded Dragon First Aid Kit" so that you have it next time, and you'll know what to do next time. You should always have either an Oral Syringe or a few disposable Leur-Slip Syringes that have a tip on them to use (Tractor Supply $3 for a box of 6). A very good Natural Laxative Slurry recipe is taking a microwave-safe container and emptying a jar of Prune Baby Food into it, then add 2-3 tablespoons of Plain, Raw, Canned Pumpkin (it's very bitter so you have to mix it in other things for them to tolerate it), and then add 2-3 drops of Vegetable Oil, or a better thing to keep on hand is a bottle of plain Psyllium Husk, which is sold at Walmart in the aisle where the laxatives and enemas are in a white bottle with an orange lid, and the generic, Walmart brand is called something like "Daily Fiber". A bottle of 100 capsules costs $4-$5. You can break open a capsule and add a pinch of the Psyllium Husk powder to the Prune Baby Food and the Raw, Plain, Canned Pumpkin. Then add enough Unflavored Pedialyte to thin the slurry to be used in the oral syringe. Mix all this up very well and then microwave for 39 seconds, then mix it again very well and microwave it for another 30-45 seconds. Fill the Oral or Leur-Slip Syringe and test it on your wrist, you want it warm but not hot. If it's warm they are more likely to lick more of it off of their snout on their own.

You should learn how to force-feed liquids/slurries with an oral syringe/Leur-Slip syringe, it's very easy once you figure it out and do it once or twice, and this will help you out tremendously, because if you can get at least 3ml of the Laxative Slurry into him and then let him bask under his lights for at least 1-2 hours, chances are that he'll pass the impaction within 24 hours of eating the slurry, possibly sooner with a warmer-than-average bath. I always buy the boxes of Leur-Slip Syringes at Tractor Supply that are the 3ml size so that I know I need to feed them one entire syringe full. Plus, you get a box of 6 Leur-Slip syringes that are the 3ml size for under $3, and they can be sterilized and used many times before you have to dispose of them. I also have found most Oral Syringes to be too big and bulky for force-feeding Dragons or my Parrots, and they usually have a tip that is pretty large for feeding a dragon, especially a baby. The Leur-Slip syringes have a perfect-size tip for feeding a baby dragon...FYI, check and make sure you get the Leur-Slip syringes that have tips on them and not "Leur-Lock" syringes, Tractor Supply has both and the boxes look exactly the same, the only difference is that the "Leur-Lock" syringes have no tips on their ends at all, just an internal thread for the needles to screw-into, in contrast to the "Leur-Slip" syringes which have tips that the needles slip onto.

You can start out by dripping a little of the laxative slurry onto the very tip of his snout and letting it drip down over his mouth/lips, usually if the Laxative Slurry is warm and you've mixed the Prune Baby Food in with the Raw, Plain, Canned Pumpkin, this will sweeten the raw Pumpkin up a little bit and they will lick a bit of it off, but not even close to enough to pass an impaction quickly. That's why I add a pinch of the Psyllium Husk instead of adding any type of Oil to the slurries, the Psyllium Husk is all-natural, bulk fiber, and even only a pinch mixed in with the bulk of the pumpkin and the liquid from the Baby Food and the Pedialyte usually causes them to pass the impaction in under 24 hours while in a bath. But again, they won't lick even close to enough off of their snout/lips to help, so here's the method that I use to force-feed them using an Oral syringe, and it works extremely easily and quickly to get the full 3ml of laxative slurry (or whatever you're force-deeding him from an Oral Syringe). It is also much less stressful on your Beardie and on you...

So all you have to do to force-feed your Dragon from an Oral Syringe is this: First, fill your Oral Syringe or Leur-Slip Syringe with 3ml of the warmed Laxative Slurry. Put your dragon on a flat surface and hold onto him firmly but gently with the hand you're not using the Oral Syringe in. Next, insert the tip of the syringe under his upper lip on the side of his head that is facing you, back towards his ear. After you have the tip of the syringe under his upper lip on the side of his head back towards his ear, gently slide the tip of the syringe up the side of his mouth towards the tip of his snout/the middle of his mouth, being sure to keep the tip of the syringe under his upper lip the entire time you are sliding it towards the tip of his snout. Now I don't know why this happens but it always does, as you slide the tip of the syringe that is under his upper lip from the back side of his mouth towards the tip of his snout, he will automatically just open his mouth up as you get the tip of the syringe close to the tip of his snout. They ALWAYS open their mouths while you're doing this, I've never not had a dragon open their mouth while doing this. As soon as he opens his mouth you just stick the tip of the syringe (only the tip, don't shove the barrel of the syringe into his mouth, lol) between his teeth. He'll bite down of the tip of the syringe that is in between his teeth, but he won't be able to shut his mouth or bite the tip of the syringe off, not even an adult will be able to bite the tip off. Once you have the tip of the syringe between his teeth then you can slowly start to apply even pressure to the plunger of the syringe to SLOWLY feed him the Laxative Slurry. You'll need to hold him firmly with your other hand throughout this entire process, because he'll most likely start to squirm and shake his head a bit. However, what I've found with any Beardie I've force-fed this way is that they'll squirm and carry on up until the point where you start to feed them the slurry into their mouths, Then they stop squirming around and they start to work on swallowing the Slurries. It's extremely important that you push the Slurry into his mouth slowly and allow him time to swallow what is already in his mouth. This sounds a lot more complicated than it is, once you do it a few times you'll totally understand how to do it. You'll most likely have to start over by inserting the tip of the syringe under his upper lip on the side of his head, back towards his ear, and then again slide the tip of the syringe up the side of his mouth towards the tip of his snout again until he opens up his mouth again and you can get the tip of the syringe back between his teeth.

What I typically do once they have opened up their mouths and I've got the tip of the syringe between their teeth is I push a little of the Slurry (or whatever it is that I'm feeding them) into their mouths, about 0.5ml at a time, and then I stop and let them swallow what I've put in their mouths (which actually looks like they are opening and closing their mouths up, like they're "chewing" on the tip of the syringe. So they're "chew" a few times and then stop, and that's when I'll push another 0.5ml into their mouths and then stop again, and so on. I have volunteered at an Exotics Rescue for years that only takes in Reptile/Amphibians and Birds, so I've done this literally hundreds if not thousands of times to any number of different species of lizards and turtles (a whole other task, lol), and I can easily get a full 5ml of liquid into a dragon using this method in under 2 or 3 minutes and with only having to re-insert the tip of the syringe maybe once or twice the entire time. I try to hold them very firmly with my left hand (I'm right-handed) and have them right in front of me while I'm doing this, I usually have them on either an exam table at the rescue or on my kitchen table at home and then I sit down in a chair and pull them close to me. Usually I can get them to hold their heads up high with their snouts in the air looking up at me, and with the tip of the syringe pointing downward into their mouths. I find this the easiest way to control them and to be sure not to push too much liquid into their mouths so that they are able to swallow it all and none gets aspirated into their lungs, which is why you can't just push the entire syringe-full of liquid down their throats, they'll not be able to swallow it and some will go down into their lungs, which can cause pneumonia and kill them (you have to use a Crop Needle that you actually insert down their throat and directly into their esophagus in order to feed them large quantities quickly).

So the bottom line to this method of force-feeding is that after you do it a few times it will be easy for both you and your dragon, and you won't be stressing him and yourself out by trying to poke the tip of the syringe through his lips and into his mouth, or trying to actually "Pry" his teeth apart while he's clenching his jaw shut. That method is very stressful on both of you and can cause damage to both his lips, his gums, and you can actually break his teeth. Doing it this way where he will willingly open up his mouth on his own enables you to get the tip of the syringe in between his teeth without hurting his lips or the inside of his mouth, and will allow you to get a much larger amount of the Laxative Slurries or any other liquid or Slurry into him so it will be effective. Be sure that after you get 3ml of the Laxative Slurry into him that you put him back in his tank and on his Basking Spot/Platform under his UVB and his Basking Bulb for at least 1-2 hours so that he will start to properly digest the Slurry and get it into his Gastrointestinal System. Also, if and when he ever becomes Impacted again, it can help immensely if you bump up his Basking Spot Temperature 5-10 degrees (never allow any temperature inside his tank to go higher than 110 degrees ever, 110 degrees is the absolute max temp for a bearded dragon!) so that after you feed him a Laxative Slurry he will absorb and process the natural bulk fiber quickly. Also, after allowing him to bask
for 1-2 hours after you feed him the Laxative Slurry, then try putting him into a Warmer Than Average bath for no longer than 15-20 minutes, any longer than that can stress him out and he probably is not ready to go if he hasn't gone at that point. Try to encourage him to swim on his own in the Warmer Than Average bath, the more he moves his back legs in the warm water on his own, the more likely he'll start straining to have a bowel movement. Usually it takes 2 feeding of 3ml of Laxative Slurry, each time followed by 1-2 hours under his lights and then a Warmer Than Average Bath for them to pass the impaction, depending on what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom