idk what's wrong with my beardies please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangmarie

Ive had Medusa for a while now and he (got him from an ex) was fine up until yesterday morning. I noticed his beard was black and his eyes shut as if sleeping. I'm unsure of his age and he eats and goes to the bathroom regularly. His temps and everything are fine. I'm unsure what's wrong :/ He's just laid for 2 days now and will sometime adjust himself but won't open his eyes. Please Help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of the entire tank set up as well as Medusa and can you list the exact brand + type of lights you have. Proper lighting is critical to good health. What was he eating before this ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics to your post

mustangmarie

Original Poster
I feed him greens, lettuce, crickets and carrots on occasion. I'm insure of the light brand because I threw the box away but I know it's both UVB and Heat. He was running around like crazy on Tuesday which is why I'm so worried. Idk if it's brumation or if he's sick

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If he has a black beard it's not brumation, a black beard is an indication that he's in pain or very uncomfortable and extremely stressed, especially if it's lasted for longer than a few minutes. Combined with his eyes being shut and him not moving at all, he's most likely very sick, impacted, or injured. If you're using a Mercury Vapor Bulb, which is the All-in-one bulb, you still need to have it at the correct distance from his basking spot on the Hot Side of his tank, still need to replace it every 10 months to a year, and still need to check all 3 of the temperature zones inside his tank with either a Digital Probe Thermometer or a Temperature Gun regularly to make sure that all 3 zones are within the correct temperature ranges, even more so with only an all-in-one bulb...it's most likely either a MegaRay, a PowerSun, or a SolarGlo mercury vapor bulb, so if you can look on the bulb itself that would help, it will have the name of the bulb and the wattage on the bulb itself. We need that information, as well as how many inches it is away from his main Basking Spot, and how old the bulb is.

What is his daily diet? How often do you dust his live insects/fresh salad with calcium and with a multivitamin? And how old is he?

Can you please post some photos of both him in his current condition and his entire tank and lights?
It's sounds like he is in very critical condition and needs to get to an experience reptile vet ASAP if he still has a black beard after 2 days, and is still just laying in his tank with his eyes closed and he's not moving. Something is very wrong. When they are getting ready to brumate or are in brumation they don't have a black beard and they get away and stay away from their lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom