Swollen limbs and not shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikilou

I'm new here and looking for help. My daughter has a bearded dragon that was active and seemed healthy until one day she seemed to stop using her right front leg and shortly after that her other limbs started to swell. She's been to the vet, had an x-ray and her one foot had a stress fracture, the vet said no mbd and she was treated for a parasite. She seemed to be acting better for a day or two but the swelling didn't get any better. She doesn't seem to be growing or shedding either and she is not quite 1 year old. I don't know if that means anything but I hope somebody can help me figure out what to do for Marduk, that's the dragon's name btw. Thank you for reading and any tips or advice would be appreciated.
~ Viki

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A lot of times, health issues like this are related to diet or lighting (or both). Can you provide some details about which lights you use, how far they are from the basking area, surface temps around the tank, and typical diet? I'll certainly do as much as I can to help you.

If you can post some photos that would be helpful as well. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

Vikilou

Original Poster
I knew I was leaving something out but I was afraid to make my post too long. We have a Reptisun 10.0 uvb florescent 15 w lamp about 12" - 14" above. She did have a tree in there but since she isn't climbing, we replaced it with a lower rock, but she usually sits on the bottom of her terrarium. The temperature is 101.8 at the moment, which is about average. Her daily diet consists of a salad every morning, collard greens, butternut squash and occasionally blueberries. In the evening about 10 - 15, 1/2 to 3/4 inch roaches. She used to eat crickets but the roaches were easier and she seemed to like them better. She also gets vitamin supplement and calcium spray on her food.
I hope I've given you enough information,
~Viki

Vikilou

Original Poster
95291-8621794670.jpg
I hope this works. I only got this one at the moment, she was resting and i didn't want to disturb her too much.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Poor girl. Looks like gout. You can give black cherry juice and cut down on the roaches. The only way to know for sure its gout is blood work. I hope she improves.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is definitely not metabolic bone disease, or a fracture, but likely gout. Can you get a
blood test done on her to determine for sure?
How many other limbs are swelling & how long has this type of swelling been going on for now?
How often do you give the calcium & or vitamins to her? What do you feed the roaches prior to
feeding her?
Are you using a digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures?
Is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb on top of or underneath of the screen top?

Tracie

Vikilou

Original Poster
All of her limbs have swelling in them, some days one might be more swollen than others. It has been going on for a couple months now. She has had 2 trips to the vet, which I'm surprised she hasn't had a blood test. We have been trying different things also. She gets the calcium and vitamins daily sprayed on her salad and roaches. She has also been getting a tart cherry supplement sprinkled on her food for a couple weeks now. The roaches get fed ground up dog food and bee pollen. (That's what I was told by my daughter)
The bulb is on top of the screen and there is a digital probe in the tank to check the temperature.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, the swelling is going to continue to worsen because I can just about guarantee that is
going to be gout. A blood test should really be done to see what the uric acid values are,
& she needs to be started on allopurinol quickly to get that managed.
The roaches are being fed too high of protein diet, from the dog food, which has a high
level of purine in it. We have been seeing a lot of cases here lately due to feeding issues
as well as other problems.
I would highly recommend changing the feed out for the roaches to a lower purine diet.
Roaches can be fed greens daily, along with a dry feed or other feed. Repashy makes some
decent mixes I believe that you could consider. Other veggies like squash, carrots, are fine.
If you use a dry feed, you can also mix in some bee pollen for supplemental & natural B complex
vitamins for them.
Will the vet do a blood test, or not?
Continue with the cherry juice extract right now, daily. For this instance, it wont be enough
to fix the problem though, she will need the medication.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom