Older bearded dragon walking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeT

Rocky is about 8 1/2 years old. I cannot tell if he is eating properly. He usually poops at bath (Wednesday and Sunday). Now it is once a week.I will sometimes force him to eat fruit (he loves bananas). I dust his food every day with the calcium powder and vitamins. His every day food is collard greens or kale with yellow squash. I am a little concerned about him not eating much.
More of a concern is his struggle to walk. He seems healthy in all respects but he seems like he throws himself for each step. He had a calcium deficiency when really young because of my lack of knowledge. A trooper a day of medicine for over a week fixed that.
I have not yet made an appointment with the vet.
He sleeps on me a lot. I seriously doubt he has a crushing injury.
Is it just old age? Could it be a calcium deficiency?
Any suggestions?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it does seem most likely that it's a calcium deficiency. The bulbs will greatly affect his ability to absorb calcium. What exact type + brand of lights do you have ? Can you post pics of Rocky as well as his tank set, including the lights ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

It could also be a vit. B deficiency. Does he get any reptile vitamin ?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
How long has he been doing this when he walks? It does sound like either MBD or a Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) deficiency, both of which can be caused not only by an inadequate diet, but also by inadequate supplementation of both Calcium and a Multivitamin, but also (and usually) due to inadequate UVB lighting. This can mean an inadequate UVB light all together, having the UVB light obstructed by a mesh lid, glass lid, plastic cover, etc., not replacing the UVB bulb/tube either every 6 months (T8 tube or any compact bulb) or every year (T5 tube), or having the UVB light too far away from his main Basking Spot/Platform.

MikeT

Original Poster
will post pics when I get home to my computer. That way I can get pics of the tank setup.
As for lighting, ReptiSun 10.0 UVA/UVB, 75w ceramic heater above tank, a regular 60w incandescent just for additional light, and a 75w basking lamp. I forget the brand name. Could be ReptiSun.
I use the Flukers powder - calcium plus vitamin B's.

Hot side of tank is 105-110. Cool side is mid 70s. Humidity is low. I don't keep a water bowl in his tank. He gets water at l at twice a week from his baths. He loves swimming during bath time.

He is in a 40 gallon breeder tank.

Here is a pic of Rocky sleeping in his food bowl

33500-4026245214.jpg

This is Rocky over the summer enjoying the sun in the yard
33500-1771307425.jpg

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
How long has he been having this issue? And your Reptisun 10.0 UVB is a compact or coil bulb and not a long 18" or 24" tube? Is it sitting on top of a mesh lid? And are you using either a Digital Probe Thermometer or a Temperature Gun to take the temps inside his tank? Or are you using stick-on thermometers on either side of the tank?

You are using sand as your substrate. I realize you've probably been using it for a long time with no issues, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't for some reason decide to lick a bunch of it up or accidentally ingest some of it. My guess is he actually may have a bad impaction that is pressing on his spinal column and causing partial paralysis, this is common and if he has only started having this issue within the last few days/weeks then I'd guess it's a combo of the sand combined with a 10.0 compact/coil UVB light and possibly improper temps (if taken by stick-on thermometers). This all is a perfect storm for a bad sand impaction that is causing paralysis.

If this problem has gone on for longer than a week or two, then it's most likely MBD or a Vitamin B1 deficiency due to improper UVB/UVA lighting due to using a compact UVB bulb that is only 13 watts and may also be obstructed by a mesh lid. I can't tell from the photos what you're using, but if it's not a long 10.0 tube then that's definitely an issue. It may be a combination of all of these things too.

MikeT

Original Poster
The ReptiSun 10.0 is a 24" tube sitting on top of the screen lid with the other lighting and ceramic heater.. The thermometer is digital and was bought at WalMart and can measure temperature at 2 locations and humidity at one.
I switched to sand when he became an adult and he was trained to do his business in the sink at bath time so he dies not do it in the tank. He has had no issues with sand. I know this group frowns on sand as a substrate, but I haven't had any issues with it.
It has been a few since he has had this issue. I ruled out an impaction since he dies have regular poops.
I was thinking calcium so whatever the vet gave me before i was thinking us what he probably needs now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he's pooing regularly you can probably rule out impaction, but sometimes there can be partial impaction. I don't think that's what it is . How close is the uvb bulb to his basking spot ? The Reptisun 10.0 is a good bulb, but only up to a certain distance and if unobstructed by screen. Can you post a pic of it on top of the screen and measure how far it is from his basking area ? Most people mount it under the screen for good uvb exposure. If it as a t5 instead of t8 it could still be effective even on top of the screen.

It's great that he had access to natural sun in the summer....how long ago was that ? And for now it would be good to get some liquid calcium for him + mount his uvb inside the scree, you can use wire to do that like I have done here :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

MikeT

Original Poster
all of the lights on top are resting right on the screen. The UV bulb I replace every July and December.
I can get a picture of it when I get home.

Can I buy liquid calcium or do I have to get it through the herpetologist?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's a nice set up. Is that him under the ramp ? I'm wondering if he's overheated and possibly dehydrated. If you have close to 200 watts of heat that might be what's happening. Keep the CHE off during the day.

Since he's not walking well is he able to get up nearer the uvb bulb ? I think you should mount it inside the screen like I have mine that I posted a link of. You just poke some sturdy but bendable wire through the screen and fasten it with the wire ends twisted at the top.

MikeT

Original Poster
he is under the ramp sleeping. it is close to bed time. timer had lights on at 7am and off at 7pm.
he just had his bath Sunday so it isn't dehydration. Next bath is Wednesday.
He is starting his brumation so he sleeps a lot.
When I take him out, eyes are wide open, he just has trouble walking.
I ordered liquid calcium and will set up a vet appointment. couple herpetologists not too far away.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely mount the UVB tube bulb underneath of the screen for better exposure for him.
I would consider trying to nudge him out of brumation a little bit so that you can get himm
going on his calcium & he can sit under his UVB.
Brumation phases can be a little rough on the older dragons. He looks good overall!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom