Baby Beardie not eating for 4 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathruin

Hi, I got my baby about 23 days ago and when she first got home everything was great. She ate perfectly, basked normally, didn't show signs of stress and was generally happy. I was feeding her mini meal worms, small crickets and kale. About a week ago I got her some small super worms and she ate a few of those up as expected. But then about 4 days ago she had pretty much stopped eating. Her last poo was really small and she hasn't had a bowel movement since. Her belly isn't bloated or stiff. She still has energy when she's being held and her eyes and mouth seem fine. No mucus or puffiness. When all of this started it seemed like she was getting ready to shed her head scales, but only the scales around her mouth ended up shedding. I tried giving her a bath to try and spark her appetite and help a bowel movement. She drank the water and swam around just fine. I'm really concerned because I love my little baby and don't want anything to happen to her.

Here's the specs on the dragon:
-7ish inches long from nose to tail
-weighs 9 grams

Here's the tank setup specs:
-40 gallon breeder tank with 3 sides vision blocked
-Reptisun 10.0 UVB fluorescent tube light
-150w Heat lamp in ceramic fixture
-Basking temp 103f - 111f
-Warm side floor temp 85f - 95f
-Cool side temp 76f
-Paper towel substrate

P.S. She is sleeping a lot more lately as well, almost like she's bromating but she's just a baby so that can't be the case. I'm taking her back to Petco tomorrow for them to take her to the vet for me since they cover the cost for the first 30 days but I would still like to get your opinions on what's going on with m baby girl.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like a combo of a couple of things. Probably impaction from the meal + superworms as well as possibly not getting enough uvb. For the first problem you can try to use natural laxatives, any or all of these : baby food sweet potato, prunes or squash, canned pumpkin [ no spices ] unsweetened appleasauce , all with a drop of raw honey or olive oil. This can really help her to poo. A warm 5 minute bath can also help.

As for the uvb bulb, how far away is it from where she basks ? If it's on top of a screen + more than 8" away she won't get much uvb. Can you post pics of your set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I believe your Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube is mounted inside the tank and under the mesh lid, that's good, but it looks as though it may have some type of clear cover over it? It may just be a reflection from the photo or something that I can't see correctly, but if there is any clear plastic or glass over the actual UVB tube you need to remove it ASAP as UVB light cannot penetrate it and basically blocks all of it. Also, the UVB tube may be a bit far away from him, a T8 strength UVB tube must be within 6" or so of his basking spot (which should be directly underneath both the UVb tube and the bright white basking light, with both in the Hot Side of the tank, to replicate natural sunlight directly over his basking spot, so he gets both lights directly while basking). Also, be sure to replace the T8 UVB tube once every 6 months, as that is when it will stop emitting any UVB light (even though the tube won't be burnt out at that point and will still light up, it just won't be emitting any UVB light for him).

I'm pretty sure your main issue is that you were feeding him both mealworms and superworms and now he has an impaction from the shells, this is very common. You need to follow the directions given by AHBD for the laxative slurries that consist of a jar of Prune Baby Food, 2-3 tablespoons of plain, raw, canned pumpkin, and some water or unflavored Pedialyte. Use an oral syringe to drip it onto his snout, hopefully he'll lick it off. Then try a warmer than average bath for no longer than 15-20 minutes at a time, if he doesn't pass the impaction then put him back under his lights on the Hot Side of his tank (I'd double check your Basking Spot Surface Temperature to be sure it's between 105-110 degrees with either a Digital Probe Thermometer or a Temperature Gun). Then you can feed him more of the laxative slurry later in the day and try another warmer than average bath again. DO NOT FEED HIM ANYMORE SOLID FOOD UNTIL AFTER HE POOPS.

Mealworms are not meant to be a "daily staple" feeder insect for bearded dragons, they contain too much fat and hard chitlin shell, which bearded dragons cannot digest properly and it often causes this issue. Plus, mealworms do not have an adequate protein content to be a daily staple live feeder insect. And he's far too small and young to be eating any Superworms, regardless of the size of them. He cannot handle the shells yet. He shouldn't be eating any Superworms until he's at least 14" or so long.

Please look into buying him either live crickets, dubias or other species of roaches, Silkworms, or Phoenix Worms/BSFL/Calciworms/Nutrigrubs/Reptiworms as his daily live feeder insects. These live insects contain high enough protein for a baby beardie and low fat, with no shells he'll have issues digesting. Occasional treat insects can include wax worms, hornworms, or butterworms, at most a few a week. But please, stop the mealworms as part of his diet, or this could continue to happen...

Deathruin

Original Poster
Yeah, I knew about the plastic over the uvb so I took that off before I ever installed it when I first got the setup. As for the food I'll definitely be buying everything you two have suggested. The tall rock gets to the proper basking temp as well as being the closest area to the uvb. She mostly finds her way there on her own but sometimes I'll put her in an ideal spot if she doesn't find it herself. Should I still take her to the vet today just in case?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The vet won't be able to do much, sometimes it's a gamble....they may do more harm than good but once in a while someone actually gets a vet that really knows what they're doing. It's up to you.

Deathruin

Original Poster
Great news! When I got home from work today she had a good poo sitting in her tank. Definitely impacted before as there was clearly an undigested worm in her stool. Just to be on the safe side though I am keeping her on a liquid diet for one more day before I go out and get her some crickets since they don't sell dubias at Petco apparently. Just so excited that she had a good poo after almost a week of nothing.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great, she should hopefully be feeling better now. :) Be very careful of the cricket or dubia sizes. Pet store employees will sell you crickets that are too big and say they are fine, it happens all the time. Get ONLY crickets that are smaller than the space between her eyes. It's critical when they're babies.

Deathruin

Original Poster
Most definitely gonna make sure they're small crickets, there's about a good 1/4 inch space between her eyes. Even though she went poo though it seems her mood hasn't changed. Still basking with eyes mostly closed and very low on energy. What is a good replacement for solid foods in liquid form to get her energy back up and still get the protein and other nutrients she needs?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A bit of baby food chicken + squash [ no added salt or broth, etc. ] and you might add a few drops of Pedialyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom