Baby Beardie with gout, sudden decline

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudyCat

Hey everyone..
I'm really worried about Quinn. She's gone way downhill over the course of a few hours. Her eyes are both very sunken in and her fat pads are sunken in too, despite that she eats and is at a good weight and is not dehydrated.
She is really, really dark. Also appears to be lethargic and her poop is very runny but the urate is white.

I have no idea what could have cause such a fast decline. I have photos of her from yesterday, her eyes weren't sunken in and she was very active.

Please help..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry to read this. :( Is this the one who you thought might be going in to brumation ? Or the other one is an 11 month old, sorry if I'm getting them mixed up. Is she on meds. for gout + been diagnosed by a vet ? Can you post pics of Quinn right now ?

CloudyCat

Original Poster
This is Quinn, my six month old.
Sorry pics are bad you can’t really tell a whole lot from them
93440-9149579322.jpg
93440-8371316809.jpg
93440-557877911.jpg

She isn’t on any real meds but she is taking tart cherry concentrate. I really hate to jump into real meds with her so soon, but she seems to need it.. What should I order for her?
It has not been confirmed by a vet but she has tophi in her mouth and swelling of the joints. The gout actually isn’t getting worse but she’s not doing good.. I hate to see her like this

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's def. not feeling well, but it's good that she's eating + drinking. Do you have a good, qualified reptile vet ? If so, they would need to draw out some fluid [ fine needle aspiration ] to determine if this is truly gout. What is she eating ? Does she limp ?

Vets usually prescribe Allopurinol for gout , many owners see good results after a week or so.

CloudyCat

Original Poster
AHBD":u0rup8y8 said:
She's def. not feeling well, but it's good that she's eating + drinking. Do you have a good, qualified reptile vet ? If so, they would need to draw out some fluid [ fine needle aspiration ] to determine if this is truly gout. What is she eating ? Does she limp ?

Vets usually prescribe Allopurinol for gout , many owners see good results after a week or so.

She is perking up now. I gave her some oral fluids and she perked up pretty quick. I've got 9 reptile vets in my county lol, the office I use isn't open today. She's eating phoenix worms, bok choy, apple, and occasionally carrot. I'm switching her over to mustard or dandelion greens this week.
She doesn't limp and does not appear to be in pain.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, oral fluids are important. Greens are much better than apples, you can cut those out of her diet. Use turnip, mustard, collard greens you mentioned as well as endive, arugula and squash. Those are much healthier choices.

CloudyCat

Original Poster
I’m so sorry to inform everyone of Quinn’s death. I’m heartbroken, to say the least. She was fine this morning, she ate and played and everything.. ?
She died at peace but I feel like I could’ve done more..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What ? Oh no, she didn't seem to be so critical , of course you had no idea, don't blame yourself ! I'm so sorry.....I know that no words can comfort you. I'm just so sorry to hear this. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, Quinn passed already? I am so sorry you lost her so suddenly like that. :cry:
Wow, that is shocking, poor girl. At least she wasn't alone though, that is so sad.

Tracie

Hi, I’m very sorry that your beardie passed. I’m afraid I am in the same boat. I know this post was awhile go but I think my baby beardie has gout, based on pictures and some research and it all happened very suddenly. He isn’t able to lift himself up and only waddles to get around, which he barely even gets around. I’ve read that it is very painful and fatal for babies who have it, I need advice. Should I just comfort him until he passes or fight to give him medicine. I feel lost and like it is a lost cause since it says babies will die and have a small chance of living.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Kayla, please PM me, & or start your own thread so that we can all review your tank setup
for your dragon. Gout is serious & does need to be treated.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom