Gravid dragon laid two eggs, I have no laybox(Sorry is this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilcorook

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place. My beardie has just laid two infertile eggs, it's curently 3:12am. I don't have a lay box as I didn't see it coming (stupid of me) I tought se was glass surfing because I changed her viv recently. So I made a makeshift laybox out of a big container and some towels. I dripped some water on her nose and tried to feed her a locust she tried to eat it but I think she is too tired atm.

What should I do now, except for getting a proper box setup in the morning.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Did she just now lay them ? Just leave her in there, she may lay more or may just go to sleep. Then set up the lay box in the a.m.

wilcorook

Original Poster
Yes she just laid them, I woke up from her acting weird. I think she is going to sleep for now (looks like it). Her viv is in my room so I'll hear it when she has to lay more. Do you have tips for a laybox? I seem to not be able to get the same stuff as in america for example (I imported tube uv and repticarpet because we don't have it in the Netherlands)
edit just noticed I srewed up the title

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A big plastic storage container, about 80 cm long X 35 wide X 60 cm tall. [ In that size range ] Then you can use any of the following or a combination.....plain top soil, children's play sand [ or just fine sand ] , peat moss or Eco Earth , also known as bed a beast , sold in pet stores. Put in enough to make it about 25cm deep. Add enough warm water to make it damp enough to hold it's shape [ like cookie dough ] but not soggy or wet. Pack it in to a " hill ", higher on one side and start digging a " cave " by hand, she should continue digging and choose that area to lay her eggs.

wilcorook

Original Poster
AHBD":11fi9r0g said:
Then you can use any of the following or a combination.....plain top soil, children's play sand [ or just fine sand ] , peat moss or Eco Earth , also known as bed a beast , sold in pet stores.
I used to have her on sand a while ago, I have some left of that. Could I buy an extra bag and use that?

wilcorook

Original Poster
I made a laybox with moss. She was glass surfing en scratching the windows so I put her in the box but she didn't dig. She only tried to get out. Is it possible she only had to lay two eggs?

wilcorook

Original Poster
95497-9353191680.jpg
95497-5391512276.jpg
The lights from left to right are: Arcadia 15W t8 uvb and exo terra 75w basking lamp, 60w che for at night if it gets too cold, some normal lamp.
I don't think mixing sand with this moss is a good idea?
Also this is the biggest container I could find

wilcorook

Original Poster
She still hasn't laid any more eggs. She also won't eat or drink. I offer her insects every hour or so and drip some water on her nose. She still glass surfes every so often but when I put her in the box she just tries climb out and blackbeards.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sand can be mixed with anything, most beardies will use it for a nest site.

For now she doesn't want to be in there so just leave her in her tank to settle down. What you can do is get a shoebox + cut off one end or make a hole big enough for her to go in. Put that in the corner of her tank upside down foe a cardboard " cave ". She may decide to lay eggs in there . You can also let her spend most of her time in her tank and just put her in the laybox once a day in the afternoon, around 4-6 p.m for an hour. But it would be better to have dap sand mixed with the moss.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I strongly suggest using sand or top soil, or both, instead of moss. She needs to be able to dig an actual tunnel in order to lay her eggs inside it, that seems to make them feel safer about leaving their eggs in there. Moss isn't going to allow her to dig a tunnel, and she may refuse to lay until she's in a proper medium to to dig a tunnel and bury her eggs. I wouldn't think that moss is going to make her feel like she can dig a tunnel or properly hide her eggs.

The container size you found is fine, just dump out all of the moss and use regular sand piled up and filling the one side of the container, wet it and mix it all with warm water to the point that it's all damp but not at all soaking or actually has visible water in it, that's too wet. Then start a hole in the middle of the sand mound with your hand, and place her in front of the already started tunnel. She should continue digging the tunnel at that point. I just don't think the moss is making her feel comfortable.

The other thing that can help is that if you put one of her bright white basking lights over the laybox while she's in there, she will feel more comfortable and relaxed if she's warm.

wilcorook

Original Poster
thx for the suggestions!
Made a "cave" for now I don't have enough sand atm, tought I had way more. I checked her belly and I can feel one thing that could possibly be an egg. I was chilling with her and she also started trying to ding under my knee so she definitely has more eggs.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K, just leave her in her tank. Put the upside doen shoe box in it for a privacy cave in case she wants to start digging in her tank. You can also put one in her laybox [ upside down shoebox with a hole cut in the side ] Just let her be and put her in the laybox about 45 minutes a day , in the afternoon between 4-6 p.m or if you see her dogging frantically in her tank.

Keep in mind that some dragons are not happy with any laybox and may scatter the eggs right there in the tank. The majority of beardies will lay them in the nesting box though. And also, they do not like a bright light, just keep the laybox in a warm area, no bright light shining in it. They also seem to feel more privacy if it's a solid colored tote but they will use a see through one as well.

But just let her relax in her tank and be sure to keep her hydrated as well. Offer water mixed with calcium via eyedropper or spray bottle on her snout .

wilcorook

Original Poster
AHBD":1ubvzy7g said:
It's O.K, just leave her in her tank. Put the upside doen shoe box in it for a privacy cave in case she wants to start digging in her tank. You can also put one in her laybox [ upside down shoebox with a hole cut in the side ] Just let her be and put her in the laybox about 45 minutes a day , in the afternoon between 4-6 p.m or if you see her dogging frantically in her tank.

Keep in mind that some dragons are not happy with any laybox and may scatter the eggs right there in the tank. The majority of beardies will lay them in the nesting box though. And also, they do not like a bright light, just keep the laybox in a warm area, no bright light shining in it. They also seem to feel more privacy if it's a solid colored tote but they will use a see through one as well.

But just let her relax in her tank and be sure to keep her hydrated as well. Offer water mixed with calcium via eyedropper or spray bottle on her snout .
She is glass surfing almost the entire day. I have the shoe box in right now but she goes on top of it to glass surf instead of going in.. She did lay the two eggs in her viv at night. If I put her in the lay box and have it in my room is that warm enough? It's at least 22C in my room. I also read about a opaque container being better so last time i wrapped a towel around it.
How long could it take for her to lay her eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom