Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5 month old (on the smaller side) had some crickets last night to hold him over until my Roach shipment got here today and this morning I woke up to a giant poop. Like huge. I could still see a whole cricket head in there and after that he did poop normally but the big one was concerning. Now he isn’t eating his morning breakfast. Could it just be that he’s been living such a good life eating yummy roaches that he won’t eat crickets? Is there something wrong? He’s acting normally otherwise, just basking. I have proper UVB and basking lighting. Please help. Is he alright?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He may have just eaten too much of the crix which he is not used to. Were they very large crix and/or was it late in the day ? He should feel better later, even in cases where they over eat or eat too late and sometimes even vomit [ I highly doubt he will ] they usually bounce back after a day or two, just like we do . :)

AtticusTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":3ln9q4e6 said:
He may have just eaten too much of the crix which he is not used to. Were they very large crix and/or was it late in the day ? He should feel better later, even in cases where they over eat or eat too late and sometimes even vomit [ I highly doubt he will ] they usually bounce back after a day or two, just like we do . :)

Thank you! That makes me feel so much better! I felt his belly, no lumps, hardness, or anything. He’s cuddling with me normally right now. I’m glad it sounds pretty normal. Thank you thank you!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
diamc":ef7lcct3 said:
What are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using?

I agree that you should retest his Basking Spot Surface Temperature, his Hot Side Ambient (air) Temperature, and his Cold Side Ambient (air) Temperature using either a Digital Probe Thermometer or a Temperature Gun, just to make sure they are all within the correct ranges. I do this once a week in all three of my dragon's tank, just to be sure that none of the temp ranges are off, because there are many factors that can effect the temps inside the tank, even though I've been using the same lights and haven't changed anything in the tanks at all. I actually often find their Basking Spot Surface Temperatures in particular can fluctuate quite often, and there is a bight difference between 105 degrees and 99 degrees in the Basking Spot Surface Temperature of a 5-month old dragon. That 6 degree drop can certainly result in improper digestion of their live insects. I've had this happen suddenly and for no obvious reason at all from week to week, and had as big a drop as 10 degrees in the Basking Spot Surface Temperature.

So any time you see undigested, whole insect parts in his poop, I strongly suggest you check all 3 of his major temperature zones inside his enclosure with either a Digital Probe Thermometer or a Temperature Gun only, being sure to allow the Probe (if you are using a Digital Probe Thermometer and not a Temperature Gun) to sit on each of the 3 spots you're measuring for at least 20-30 minutes before you read the temperature. It's just good practice to get into to ensure that something hasn't effected his temps and is causing improper digestion.

AtticusTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":uc74ufym said:
How is Atticus doing now ?

Seems to be getting back to normal! Poops are normal, he’s eaten a few roaches today, temps are higher, very active. I also added some insulation to the back and sides of my tank because I live in very northern Vermont and we are a frozen tundra right now. That has helped hold in temps incredibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom