Is my friend neglectful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
EllenD":38v9vev9 said:
AHBD":38v9vev9 said:
I think Ellen burns about 500 calories per post. :lol: Seriously, a lot of good info..... I feel tired just trying to put my 3-4 sentences together. Must....find....her secret. :)

And I know that the other poster [ King ] just has a passion to try to help a dragon in bad situation, he hates to see or hear about b.d's suffering.

I did well in my 7th grade "Computer Keyboarding" class ?.

I didn't realize that you were in the UK, so you guys generally get beardies from private breeders then? Do you know if he was a small baby when she got him, or was he already an adult? That can always further complicate things for the new owner too, because you're having to figure out what bad husbandry the first owner did too... Hopefully this is just a case of some lighting, temperature, and diet tweaking and he'll get straightened out on on the right track.

It sounds like your friend lives her dragon and unfortunately is a victim herself of poor advice. It's a shame this happens so often, but we are certainly here to help her!

Sweet what info you can collect along with some photos and we'll start from there!

Knobbys, I'm glad I'm not the only one with computer issues right now, misery loves company! My Alienware gaming laptop (that I just had to have for the music/graphics capabilities and paid a small fortune for) seems to.be having a similar boot file issue. I love this laptop but I've had nothing but issues with the software since I built it and ordered it....But hey, who cares if it works, it's red, it has a little alien face on its front case who's eyes light up, along with little lights all over it and the keys all light up in whatever color schemes I want. Who needs a computer that actually works when it looks so good...?

The boot drive in mine is a SanDisk X400 SSD M.S 2280 128GB ( SD8SN8G-128G-1122 ) and I've checked SanDisk's tech site and found out these come with a 5 yr replacement warrantee. So one would expect them to be good for at least 5 yrs.
I didn't want either Win10 or a SSD but the 17R4 came with both as standard kit so I had no choice.
I bought my Alienware 17R4 I7 quadcore and bumped up ram to 32GB , I do a lot number crunching and process modeling and plan on doing some very resource intensive astroimage processing once I complete my 10" f4 Newtonian astrograph & my roll off roof observing shed (I want my telescope set up permanently as it's a PITB hauling out the big Vixen Atlux , Atlux HDuty metal tripod ,the telescope and counterweights , all up over 60kg and very awkward, and leveling and polar aligning every time I want to image some comet or deep space object or planet.

My computer history.

Laptops.

My first laptop was a Compact Pentium 14in with 1Gb ram running Win95 it lasted 8 yrs. Boot drive failed (only had one HDD but it did have a 3.5in FDD & a CD burner). I upgraded to a Dell P4 when I was needing more speed and better performance.

My first Dell Laptop was an Inspiron 5100 3.2GHz P4 w/ 1440dpi screen running XP-Pro and I had a great run with it, over 15 years before the M/board started playing up and the hinges started failing , still runs but needs repairs.
Bought an Inspiron 10N w/ Win7 Home for connection to my telescope's autoguider and for telescope automation , runs faster than the 5100 P4 but the battery lasts 10hrs !! It's very compact and very light !
Then I splashed out on a Dell Inspiron 17R I7 w/ Win7Pro and 16Gb ram, it's m/board failed (? , or hopefully only the DC cable assy failed) after 18 months and while out of DELL Warantee. Dell wanted more for the new m/board than it cost me to buy the whole computer new so it's been mothballed pending repair later and I bought the Alienware 17R4 i7 w/ Win10Pro & 32Gb ram.

Seems DELL have let their QC slip or are cheaping out on components lately.

My wife scored a elcheapo HP 15in (not even an i3) at her birthday from her dad. It's running Win10 home and does the jobs she wants. Personally - if I'd bought it I wouldn't touch a HP with a barge pole.

Desktops

First was a Generic Pentium build for me by a local computer shop running Win95. Lasted me 15 yrs and retired it when the HDD died and I decided I needed more speed and better performance.

Insurance company provided a HP P4 3.2GHz machine with 2Gb Ram and I had lots of issues with under warrantee , 3 m/boards , 2 HDDs and the video card and TV tuner card had to be replaced. Was a terrible unreliable computer - HP are mud to me as a result. When the last m/board died I had the HDD removed and mounted as a portable drive so I could access my stuff.

Then invested in Dell Inspiron i5 with 8Gb ram running WinPro and my wife uses that ,especially since I bought a bigger (24in FHD Dell monitor for it replace the old 1280dpi 19in Samsung LCD monitor that I had used with the HP desktop). She loves the bigger screen that fits more stuff on it.

Next desktop will be running at least a high performance i7 quadcore or perhaps i9 16core but I'll wait for prices to come down on these first. This next one will most likely assembled by me.

Get onto Dell Support and run some online tests , they will help work out what the issue is , you'll get an error code that you can look up .
If your Alienware is still under warrantee , get into Dell Support and chat with a tech , they can assume control of the computer remotely and make it run tests.

Make sure you have backed up and created an image of your system and contents of both the boot drive and the HDD (D Drive) BEFORE doing anything .

JellyfishQueen

Original Poster
Hello! So over this weekend I have been finding out about food etc as much as possible and it appears that she is feeding the recommended amount of live locusts and veg dusted with powder for an adult and the dragon is at least a year so from what I have learnt that seems right? Sorry I can't find out the exact age.
In regards to temp she has a heat bulb on one side with no probe and a probe at the cool area which read 24 Celsius I'm not sure what the temp gets to at night I know my living room can get to 11 Celsius? She does have a fluffy blanket that she covers the tank with at night (I assume to keep the temp up)
also one light on a timer (I think after looking everything that it might be that she needs a bulb that does uva as well as uvb)
I do know that the dragon has at least an hour or two of human interaction (not all at once and sometimes more or less and sometimes it's playing in the tank)
She has been giving the dragon little back leg baths to try and increase movement and build strength.
My boyfriend said that she did take the dragon to the vets twice recently which I didn't know about (was very happy to hear!) and we are not sure what came of it we think maybe laxatives?
Also when I was round this weekend I did notice movement in her back legs which again I was relieved to see?
I hope that info is good? The only think I think that can think of that matches with what I have learnt is the lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom