My beardie had seizures and now neurological problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurenB

Original Poster
95320-7205266650.jpg
ok here is his poop pic

Thanks for the doseage guidelines, in any case I can't see to get that much in him daily, regardless. I'll just do what I can with what he lets me

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You could decrease his stress by leaving out some of the baths, especially if he hates them
that much. You could give just a few a week. His body will shed when it's ready! There is
no sense in making him miserable if he just doesn't like them.
The beardie bites are fine if he likes them & has done well on them then continue to include
them in his regular diet & just add or make changes as needed. Do your best with getting the
food & fluids into him with a dropper. Will he not take much off of the end of his nose for you
yet?
I hope he is having a good day!

Tracie

laurenB

Original Poster
I will decrease his soaks for sure then. He hates them! Although the first soak I gave to him, he drank from it. But he hasn't done it since. I just took him outside in the sun since it is nice and warm today. He drank quite a bit in one feeding and I am happy!! He does both, he will sometimes drink off the edge of his nose, and he will also let me insert the syringe into the side of his lip where he will drink. How does his poop look? Normal for a liquid diet?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, his stool looks about on par for a liquid type of diet! LOL
That's great you have been able to take him outside for some great sun!
At least he took in some water during his feeding today, I hope he feels better soon.
It sure helps when they let you get the syringe into their mouth to give them food. LOL
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm just curious about one thing you wrote....you left him with a friend for 1-2 weeks and all his symptoms began after that ? You mentioned that he was fine until the. Does your friend have any kids that might have done something to him ? You'd be surprised how kids these days think it's funny to hurt or torment another person or animal. Or dd your friend maybe have a group of people over where one person might have done the same ? I know when I was younger I had neighbors that had kids that were cruel to animals + did things I won't mention here . Or even an accidental drop . Just an example.....but I'm asking this because you say he's been fine this entire time until after you got him back from them.

laurenB

Original Poster
AHBD":crq6f0uy said:
Hi there, I'm just curious about one thing you wrote....you left him with a friend for 1-2 weeks and all his symptoms began after that ? You mentioned that he was fine until the. Does your friend have any kids that might have done something to him ? You'd be surprised how kids these days think it's funny to hurt or torment another person or animal. Or dd your friend maybe have a group of people over where one person might have done the same ? I know when I was younger I had neighbors that had kids that were cruel to animals + did things I won't mention here . Or even an accidental drop . Just an example.....but I'm asking this because you say he's been fine this entire time until after you got him back from them.

Hi, no she doesn't have any children, I think it was just a coincidence of timing, honestly. I was only gone for a week. His lights were set on a timer. She came to my house to feed my cats and dogs and play with them for a bit and then left. I trust her completely also, she's a fellow volunteer at the local animal shelter. The kids these days being cruel is an unfortunate reality, all I know is I better not ever be a witness to such cruelty, I don't care who's children they are...

laurenB

Original Poster
Hello all, this is a report for Mr. Lizard. Yesterday he did his thing where he opened his mouth again, and my gf sent this pic of him where he is holding himself up. He hasn't done this since the seizures. He looks like he is trying so hard to be his old self and possibly coming around, but his expression looks like he still doesn't feel his best yet. Hoping for more positive baby steps of progression.
95320-4456504621.jpg

In case anyone didn't catch it in the original post, he was missing his leg when we bought him as a baby at the reptile expo. I don't remember if the lady said he was born that way, or if it was injured. My gf said she knows what happens to little guys like him who don't sell at the end of the expo's. We felt sorry for him and "rescued him" :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
laurenB":1tsmd0fx said:
Hello all, this is a report for Mr. Lizard. Yesterday he did his thing where he opened his mouth again, and my gf sent this pic of him where he is holding himself up. He hasn't done this since the seizures. He looks like he is trying so hard to be his old self and possibly coming around, but his expression looks like he still doesn't feel his best yet. Hoping for more positive baby steps of progression. [ximg]95320 4456504621[/ximg]<<< that's very encouraging , he looks more with it now too.

In case anyone didn't catch it in the original post, he was missing his leg when we bought him as a baby at the reptile expo. I don't remember if the lady said he was born that way, or if it was injured. My gf said she knows what happens to little guys like him who don't sell at the end of the expo's. We felt sorry for him and "rescued him" :)
<<<< so do I , I know a lady who used to work for a pet shop , and all their dogs and cats and snakes were very well fed .... that's where lizards who were injured or sick to sell and not "COST EFFECTIVE" to get proper vet treatment for it or they where taken out the back for "BOOT HEAL" treatment (out of public sight) prior to being used as food.

I'm sure this is very common practice.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":l9x9ljb5 said:
<<<< so do I , I know a lady who used to work for a pet shop , and all their dogs and cats and snakes were very well fed .... that's where lizards who were injured or sick to sell and not "COST EFFECTIVE" to get proper vet treatment for it or they where taken out the back for "BOOT HEAL" treatment (out of public sight) prior to being used as food.

I'm sure this is very common practice.

Jesus, how cruel can people be o_O That makes me sick to my stomach :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like Mr. Lizard is doing better now, with his behavioral changes. I hope he is starting
to feel better also!
At least he got adopted by you instead of likely euthanized. It's horrible what happens to them
just because they have a missing limb or something, sick.
Did he eat anything today?
He is definitely trying so that is great to see! :D

Tracie

laurenB

Original Poster
Hey everyone, ok so Mr. Lizard just definitely had a bloody poo. I'm very worried and concerned. Parasites?? Going to call the vet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
possibly parasites. It could be straining or an upset stomach. Having a vet check it out isn't a bad idea but it's not necessarily a big problem unless it continues.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm glad he's starting to come around, it will be a slow process and you'll probably see little baby steps every day...Now about the "blood" in his poop, are you sure it was actually blood and not just his urates being stained red? I don't doubt you at all, I just want to make sure because it's not uncommon for their urates to look like they have blood in them when in fact it's due to too much calcium. So if it was only his urate that appeared to have blood in it, then it was most likely due to excess calcium in his urate, and I'd wait for his next bowel movement before rushing to a vet. If the blood was actually in the fecal matter part of his bowel movement, then it may be parasites, or it could just be from straining, like Cooper said...if the blood was in the fecal matter portion of his bowel movement, was it a bright red color, or was it a very dark red color? The difference is that if it was a very bright red blood then that's indicative of "rectal bleeding" (for lack of a better way to describe it) caused by straining, as if it's bright red blood it most likely came from right inside his vent area, where if it was dark red blood in the fecal matter then it may be due to parasites.

The reason I'm trying to get you to be cautious about this is that if a vet does a fecal test and diagnoses a parasite like Coccidia or Pinworms, but it's in a low to moderate count, you probably do not want to treat him with the prescription anti-protozoan medication for the Coccidia or the Panacur for the Pinworms, because #1) Unless they are in high or "too numerous to count" numbers and they aren't causing any symptoms like a lack of appetite, lethargy, etc. (which he already has due to the inadequate UVB light) then they don't need to be treated, dragons live with low to moderate counts of Coccidia and Pinworms throughout their lives with no issues and they are horribly overmedicated by vets for them, and #2) Putting him on one or more anti-protozoan or anti-parasitic prescription meds right now could really do more harm to him than good. It's going to take a while for him to start to come back from the MBD and get back to normal, and it's not at all uncommon for prescription meds to completely ruin their appetites and make them extremely lethargic, and this causes a downward spiral that is hard for them to come back from sometimes, especially if they are already suffering from MBD. So I'd be very, very cautious about putting him on any meds right now...Just my opinion, but that's a big worry right now when he's just starting to show little signs of improvement.

Honestly, one poop with some blood in it isn't anything to freak out about, I'd wait and look at his next couple of bowel movements to see if their is still blood in them before you go rushing him to a vet, even just the stress of the vet visit could really cause him a lot of issues right now, and hinder his recovery.

laurenB

Original Poster
I'm positive it was blood, it was bright red, and I saw him straining to pass a loose, watery and mucusy stool. I've suspected blood for a while because his mucus-y stool appeared to have a dark red tint to it. He seems to tilt his head a lot more recently too. I honestly don't know if his behavior changes are signs of improvement or decline. When I took him to the vet, she mentioned a medication for parasites even though they do always have a small amount in them anyways. He can't possibly have too much calcium at this point can he? He doesn't make it easy for me to feed him his liquids. It's such a fight that I know he's not even getting his daily feeding recommendations. I get about one feeding doseage in him per day, instead of 3 feedings. He just fights me too much and I don't want to stress him more. Yesterday he turned white for a few hours. That happened twice. Then it went away. I don't know what's going on with him, I just know he must feel like crap and it's stressful watching him suffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom