PLEASE HELP IS THIS TAIL ROT (SICK BEARDIE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahechme

he has not ate in two weeks almost I have been feeding with syringe. Vet gave me panacur for 3 days and a betryl antibiotic for two weeks and Carnivore care powder food mix for two weeks. But I have taken him to two vets and he isn't getting better. His tail looks like it's getting darker and its usually curved upwards. But it doesn't seem to have damage but it is getting darker and I am afraid he does have tail rot. I am. Going to buy the betadine solution and pain free neosporin right now but here are some pictures of my beardie. His beard is 50-80% black most of the day. I don't know why this happened or how. I take very good care of them. I have attached some photos I would love to hear back from somebody anybody at this point who knows more then a vet would obviously.

Ahechme

Original Poster
95260-2750380277.jpg

95260-464902036.jpg

95260-8924582125.jpg

95260-3728005542.jpg

95260-7230484648.jpg

These are all photos currently. The vet didn't detect anything. He just stopped eating and his beard started turning black. They said it might be parasites. So they gave me and panacur betryl antibiotic and metronidazole to make him eat. And I soaked his tail in the beta dine. And I have feeding him blended veggies and carnivore care powder mix with a syringe three times a day. He doesn't have solid poop. Only the pee. He has pooped in the last week tho but it was discolored. He is very aware and he still swims when I soak him. But he isn't eating still. And still stressed out under chin. He just started fighting back the syringe yesterday. But tail seems to be getting darkwr. Here are some extra photos of the tail.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, no tail rot at all, lots of beardies have dark tail ends , esp. when distressed. Can you post pics of his entire set up and also list what he was eating before ? What was he eating before the vet visit ?

Ahechme

Original Poster
Thank you so much for answering so quickly I appreciate it with all my heart I just want to let you know he was eating crickets and I bought him from PetSmart he was eating crickets from PetSmart dusted with calcium and he was also eating mealworms from PetSmart and I used to dust them with calcium as well he was eating fresh vegetables containing kale cucumbers red and green peppers carrots and it was all fresh cut and I would cut it myself and I would serve it other than that he just had a freshwater ball and I would always put bottled water it was purified water I would soak them every other day or so and I would mist them every night I'm not sure what to do at this point I'm not sure if I'm hurting him with the medication or if I am helping him the tail does seem very skinny at the very tip and then gets thicker going up I'm not sure if its tail rot or not but if you're saying it's not then I'm taking your word for it I have already done treatment for tail rot I have already given antibiotics I am force-feeding him with the syringe for now and hopefully the medication will make him eat again here are pictures of my setup please let me know if there's anything I can do to make it better or if I'm doing anything wrong it is a 23 gallon National Geographic tank I have a 50 watt basking bulb a 50 watt heat lamp for the night time and a 24 watt UVB bulb it is 90 degrees in there and at night it only gets down to 80

Ahechme

Original Poster
I just took the water dish and veggie dish out before the picture. As you can see spotless tank.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks + sounds like you take really good care of him. :) The uvb bulb you're using is probably not putting out quite enough uvb, so that's one thing to do, get a long tube Reptisun 10.0 t5 or an Arcadia D3 12-14% bulb. It might also be too cold in there with only a 50 watt bulb, try a 75 or 100.

So did the vet give you 3 meds ? I can tell you that it's dangerous to put him on Baytril for 2 weeks when he has no diagnosis of an infection. And he's also on 2 dewormers ? That can make his appetite worse and it's also not good practice to give him meds. when the vet never looked at a fecal sample.
It IS possible that he has worms, so 3 days on the dewormer won't hurt him much but I would never give an animal 2 weeks of Baytril, it can really upset his system.

To get him to eat, try something new like hornworms or silkworms. But once you get his temps. up a bit he might eat more. When spraying him, do so during the day, offer water dripped on his snout but not at night.

Ahechme

Original Poster
No it was only two antibiotics one was for three days and the other one is for two weeks and the third one is a medication to help his appetite kickstart I'm not sure what to do because he's only 145 gram in weight so he's getting skinnier I guess I can change the bulb and up the heat temperature a little bit but he is the type that doesn't even like it that hot for some reason he usually moves away from the bowl when he likes to stay on the corners of the hammock where it's cooler he's not much of a basker unless the heat night lamp is on which is red he won't eat absolutely anything so I'm really not sure what to do I really hope you're right about the tail rot thingy I only put Neosporin on once and I only spoke to his tail in the solution once I'll keep soaking him and I'll keep hand-feeding him but the carnivore care seems to have a good amount of nutrients in it and I just added some of my own Blended vegetables his eyes seem to be sinking in what do you think

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He shouldn't be on anything for 2 weeks, especially Baytril. Is he done yet ? And please believe, he does not have tail rot. Tail rot causes the the tail to shrivel up + die. A blackish tail is very common and is asked about on this forum pretty often, at least every month.

Your syringe feeding is good, he's looking thinner because he's growing + not getting quite enough food right now, although he's not seriously thin, just slim right now. Still, he needs to eat so of course you need to find out why he stopped. You can try a probiotic like fruit flavored soy yogurt [ non dairy ] that can help an upset tummy , esp. since the meds. can wipe out the goo bacteria in his gut.

Ahechme

Original Poster
He also isn't having any solid poops so there is no way for me to test for anything inside of his poop but all the symptoms are leading up to an infection so that's why they said it's best to give an antibiotic I just don't know what to do because I would hate to have to amputate his tail if he does have tail rot and I would hate for him to die in my possession if he is dying he is very friendly and he is very cute he's very young and I don't know if this is any of my fault but of course as the pet owner I have nothing else but to feel guilty I'm not sure if changing a bulb is going to save his life and turn everything around I'm not sure if it's really that serious as opposed to the Heat it goes up to 100 degrees in there sometimes and he looks uncomfortable he goes to the cooler side because I always have the heater in the room that I turn on along with the heat lamps so what the heat lamps and the heater on it goes up to 100 degrees sometimes not to mention every morning he gets direct sunlight and that makes the tank goes up to about 100 degrees too and he always seems to move away from the sunlight as if it is bothering him and sometimes I feel like the light from the lamp bothers him to could this be an eye problem are dragons even known for eye problems he loves to close his eyes and when he closes his eyes it looks a little gray underneath the bag of his eye every time I put his head his eyes closed every time I turn on the light he looks at it immediately sometimes he'll be sitting in one eyeI will close only

Ahechme

Original Poster
Yes I felt the same way about the medication I was thinking of giving it a break and seeing what happens and you know what it's funny that you say that about the probiotics I have some probiotic pills there are about 30 billion a capsule do you think if I open one and I sprinkle it into his food that I'm feeding him through the syringe that would be good for him because it's a powder form of probiotic but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any dairy in it am I allowed to give him something like that or should I get the yogurt you're talking about I'm guessing you're talking about vegan probiotic yogurt the vet even told me to try and get him a stool softener but I think that's just another medication that might harm him I'm really stuck right now I don't even know what to do LOL

Ahechme

Original Poster
He still has another seven days on that medication that you keep telling me to not give him baytril. You advise me to stop now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom