Worried that he’s sick :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisaacs02

My bearded dragon, Alex has been acting a little different lately, he was constipated but I finally got a good stool out of him but it looked a lot different than normal, around his eyes has also been getting kind of an orange color, and his head is squishy. I’ve looked up the squishy part and from what I saw it said as long as it isn’t concave it should be good? I just gave him a bath (which relieved his comstipation) and he has definitely perked up I’m just worried about what was in the stool and with his head, since it’s above his eyes and behind them. Any help would be amazing! Thank you :)

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Sounds like the squishy lumps on top of your bearded dragon's head are natural fat stores. These are an indication of good health. When they disappear or become concave, that is a sign of very poor health.

The orange coloration around the eyes sounds like normal pigmentation.

About the constipation, how old is your beardie, and what have you been feeding him?

Kisaacs02

Original Poster
He is around 2 years old and he gets a diet of pellets, some greens, and Dubia roaches, I tried feeding him crickets and he never ate them as a baby and I knew that worms weren’t good to give them all of the time. I thought I was doing the right things for him but I’m just worried. And the stool that did come out it was stringy and mucusy almost? It wasn’t moving at all so I didn’t think it was worms..I hope it’s not worms

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
From what I can tell, you're doing a great job. :)

I asked because some bearded dragons get impacted (constipated) if they are on a high protein diet or the bugs are too big. At that age, your beardie should be getting about 60-80% vegetables with a little fruit, and 20-40% insects.

These articles on bearded dragon feeding might help:
https://www.reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care-packet/bearded-dragon-insects-supplements-water/
https://www.reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care-packet/bearded-dragon-vegetables-fruits/

Your beardie may have been slightly dehydrated, which could lead to impaction. Do you have a water dish in the enclosure?

Kisaacs02

Original Poster
Thank you so much! That saved me a long trip and an expensive vet bill, I’ll keep a good eye on him for a while to make sure he’s still feeling better, he’s already acting much much happier.
And yes, I couldn’t find any medium or large bowls when I was getting a water one for him so there’s two small ones in his tank that I make sure are always filled.
You’re the best :)

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Happy to help! It's good to see that you were so willing to go to the vet, but it's also nice when you don't have to go — vet bills are a real pain in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom