PLEASE HELP - 9yr old dragon-black beard, puke, constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lough040

Hi everyone!
Having some issues with my beardie, Marley. She is almost 10 years old. Earlier today she threw up a few solid superworms - she was near her water dish, so she might have just been drinking too much (sometimes when she drinks too much or too fast she pukes a little clear liquid). She was about to eat more superworms but I took them out because I didn't want her to keep getting sick. I put her on her rock under her heat emitter. She became pretty lethargic, eyes closed, etc. I put food in this evening and she seemed maybe a little interested. I noticed she felt a bit bloated so I gave her a bath - she strained and a little poo/urate came out but she seemed to still be straining. I tried giving her a bit of oil , continued with the warm bath and tummy rub, but she didn't poo anymore. Her beard became jet black. I took her out of the bath, she's pretty lethargic and almost limp?
She has been laying eggs on and off for about the last 5 months - so I'm not sure if something is going on, or if I am just over-reacting and she is just upset/weak from the vomitting earlier.
She has shown interest in water and I let her drink some, but not a lot because I didn't want her to puke again. I did soak her for quite a bit.

I plan on calling her vet tomorrow morning, but does anyone have any advice?

She is in a 40 breeder, on a 12hrs on / 12 hrs off light cycle (it might be 10/14, not sure), with heat emitter and basking spot. She is eating superworms, various berries/greens, sometimes a scrambled egg (not scrambled with any butter or seasoning, just plain egg).
Thanks <3

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like it could be a combination of things but they overdo it sometimes with the supers. A vet checkup is a good idea but in the meantime I'd keep her on soft foods that are easier to digest and keep her hydrated by offering small amounts of water but more frequently (so she doesn't overdo it on the water as you mentioned).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, sometimes they can drink too much at one time & then not digest well when they eat
supers or other types of insects. A soft food diet for a bit would be helpful.
Has she ever had any egg binding issues at all? I would definitely check into that, but hopefully
it isn't any complication there. If you can, keep her warm, around 80, overnight since she
isn't feeling well.
Let us know how the vet visit goes for Marley. That's great, she has done well for almost 10!

Tracie

lough040

Original Poster
Thanks for your input! No egg binding issues in the past.

She's very very lethargic this morning. Extremely bloated, black bearding. She has been regular with eating/drinking/pooping until yesterday with the vomiting episode, so with the bloating I'm worrying about an organ failure...is that a thing? I called her vet's office, her vet isn't in for another ten minutes but they will pass the message along and snuck me in for a 3pm (CST) time slot. I've got her snuggled in a towel for the mean time. Is there anything I can do? I just don't want her to be in pain. I just ache right now :cry:

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It sounds like she is either badly impacted (the continued straining in the bath and the sudden black beard are classic impaction signs), or she's egg-bound...It takes a day for any laxative protocols (prune baby food mixed with plain, canned pumpkin and Pedialyte) to get through them and then typically the next day they'll pass the impaction in a warmer than average bath. You could try another warm bath and see if she again strains to poop, she may pass it now if you have her oil yesterday, the black beard while passing an impaction is normal because it's painful to pass. If she's egg-bound the warmer than average bath can also possibly help her lay it, but honestly, if she gets in a warm bath, strains to go but can't, and continues to black beard, she's most likely egg-bound, and that is an emergency needing surgical intervention. An x-ray will definitely show if she's egg-bound to the point there's a whole egg she's trying to lay, but as I said, it could just be a bad impaction...What is the substrate in her enclosure? And when did she last lay a clutch of eggs?

I'd try a very warm soak again and see if she again strains to go, hopefully if she's impacted it will finally pass, but if she continues to strain and can't pass anything, she needs to get to a reptile vet immediately for an x-ray, because egg-binding is lethal if not taken care of pretty quickly.

lough040

Original Poster
Substrate is shelf liner. I gave her some gentle syringes of pedialyte and plain pumpkin baby food (not much of that) . I will try a warm bath today as well. Still waiting for a call from the vet, but at the very latest she goes in at 3.
Thank you!

lough040

Original Poster
After x-rays and an exam they determined kidney failure. she had been drinking increased amounts of water and losing her fat deposits.by the time we brought her in she wasn't moving.we had to let her go. Thank you everyone for your caring advice ... I ache.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that =(. I know how hard it is to lose a dragon. 9 years is a good run though. You must have given her great care and a great life.

lough040

Original Poster
After x-rays and an exam they determined kidney failure. she had been drinking increased amounts of water and losing her fat deposits.by the time we brought her in she wasn't moving.we had to let her go. Thank you everyone for your caring advice ... I ache.

Savora

Hatchling Member
I'm so, so sorry. That's heartbreaking. Please rest easy knowing she loved the time she had with you. I hope you decide to bless another beardie in the future with your gentle care.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear she was in renal failure, that's awful! She almost made it to 10
years old, poor girl. It's devastating to lose them. :cry:

Tracie

lough040

Original Poster
I'm so devastated today. Of course I had to google kidney failure and it looks like it might have been treatable. I had asked the vet and the vet had said that this was not treatable, just something to prolong. Is that true? Or could I have saved her? Did I do the right thing? She was black bearding since the night before, and bloated, and losing fat deposits, and she was almost 10 years old so she was pretty old. She wouldn't open her eyes. Of course, when they came in to do it, she opened her eyes. Is this regret and wondering normal? Or was I wrong? I can't help feeling like if I would have just brought her home she would have been okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom