Infection in the Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenof9

Hey, New here, I've been watching my sisters dragon spike, he is 20 inches long, well was, and a big boy, prob 5 or 7, anyways, a few months ago my niece and nephew somehow sliced up 4 inches of his tail, it was a metal lawn chair and they moved it and we are assuming they didnt realize spikes tail was there. Its thier pet, and in 5 years or so there has never been any issues. So i make my sister take SPIKE to the vet, he losses another few inches of tail so is left with around 4 inches of tail. Thank god they didnt hit his spine.

Anyways, he got pain meds and antibiotics and we saved him. My sister didnt go back to the checkup and hes been fine but end if his tail didnt have scales, was just dried hard skin i believe.

Well i told her weeks ago she needs to take him in and finish the job, but hes been fine for months. Well today i come home and i notice scales towards the end of tail were moved and looked black.

Then i see something crawling around, INSIDE HIS TAIL, I FLIP OUT, and scraped gently the little worm looking maggots or what ever they r, shower him, bandage and put meds on him and covered his tail.

What were these things, hes been fine for months, just recently we have had more bugs around and that's all i can think of that happened. My bearded dragon is my baby and i love her so much, i knew i could watch my sisters and give him love while she goes through a divorce. So now she says she dosent have money to go to vet, nor do i till payday n 2 weeks, it breaks my heart and i really let her have it.

Now she says shes just putting him down. I cant believe it, but i dont want him suffering, i can tell thier is rotting at end of tail and bugs ate into it. So horrid makes me so mad, nice clean tank, big, gets what lighting he needs, vitimins and food, they r my babies. Im just wondering how this jist suddenly happens. I will post a pic if i can. Hes big and beautiful

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is very sad & unfortunate. :cry: I have to say that it isn't fair to the dragon, either.
Could you take him in for awhile just to give more care until you can get him back to the vet?
Try getting some raw or unpasteurized honey to put on the end of his tail to help with the
infection. Keep the tail wrapped up & be sure that there aren't any types of bugs, etc in the
tank when using any type of honey.
Putting him down isn't right, because he looks good & very healthy. If it's just his tail, that can
be addressed. He looks healthy in the pictures. Honestly, most vets with a conscious wont put
down a healthy animal, but would rather take the dragon off of your hands, to adopt out or to
keep for themselves. That's an option too, but I don't think putting him down is an option.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It's disgusting that they want to put down an otherwise healthy dragon , he'll be just fine once the infection in the tail is sorted.

If the injured area is black, that indicates the flesh is dead , and likely full of bacteria , he needs to be seen by a reptile vet immediately and will likely require surgery to remove the necrotic tissue before it spreads (gang-green) up his tail to where his has important internal organs and the bacteria invades his bloodstream causing a lifethreatening systemic infection.

Tell them this is URGENT and needs to be attended to RIGHT AWAY , it can't wait , there are no effective home remedies that will either stop this or even slow it down , he's well beyond that now.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sevenof9":leje2k9f said:
Hey, New here, I've been watching my sisters dragon spike, he is 20 inches long, well was, and a big boy, prob 5 or 7, anyways, a few months ago my niece and nephew somehow sliced up 4 inches of his tail, it was a metal lawn chair and they moved it and we are assuming they didnt realize spikes tail was there. Its thier pet, and in 5 years or so there has never been any issues. So i make my sister take SPIKE to the vet, he losses another few inches of tail so is left with around 4 inches of tail. Thank god they didnt hit his spine.

Anyways, he got pain meds and antibiotics and we saved him. My sister didnt go back to the checkup and hes been fine but end if his tail didnt have scales, was just dried hard skin i believe.

Well i told her weeks ago she needs to take him in and finish the job, but hes been fine for months. Well today i come home and i notice scales towards the end of tail were moved and looked black.

Then i see something crawling around, INSIDE HIS TAIL, I FLIP OUT, and scraped gently the little worm looking maggots or what ever they r, shower him, bandage and put meds on him and covered his tail.

<<< if they are maggots , they are doing the dragon a service , the maggots will only eat infected and dead flesh and will tend to clean the wound very nicely .

In WWII the POWs held under horrible inhumane conditions , used as slaves , and worked to death by the Japanese Army in Singapore and Burma often had abscesses and ulcers which could only be treated by the captured corps medical officers using the most primitive instruments fashioned from sharpened spoons and sharpened bits of tin cans and maggots.
Essentially they would scrape as much pus and infected flesh as possible away , and let the flies at the open wound , and then when they observed maggots they'd loosely wrap the maggoty wound to keep the maggots there. This maggot debridement therapy was very effective .
Maggot debridement therapy are now used in some cased in modern wound care see https://woundcareadvisor.com/using-maggots-in-wound-care-part-1-vol3-no4/ where other treatments have failed.

What were these things, hes been fine for months, just recently we have had more bugs around and that's all i can think of that happened. My bearded dragon is my baby and i love her so much, i knew i could watch my sisters and give him love while she goes through a divorce. So now she says she dosent have money to go to vet, nor do i till payday n 2 weeks, it breaks my heart and i really let her have it.

<<< you should offer to take the older injured dragon off them PERMANENTLY. If I were in your situation I would. At least then I'd be sure he'd get the vet treatment he needs to survive this as the current owners are not doing the right thing by him at all.
There is no reason why with some proper treatment he can't come through this and have several more years of hopefully happy life , hopefully with someone who will give him the love and care he needs.

Now she says shes just putting him down. I cant believe it, but i dont want him suffering, i can tell thier is rotting at end of tail and bugs ate into it. So horrid makes me so mad, nice clean tank, big, gets what lighting he needs, vitimins and food, they r my babies. Im just wondering how this jist suddenly happens. I will post a pic if i can. Hes big and beautiful

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let us know how he is doing & how things are coming along. We are all concerned
about him, he is a great looking dragon.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If she can afford to euthanize him, then she can afford to have his tail amputated and a round of antibiotics. That's literally all it takes to heal him. However, the necrosis will continue to spread towards his body and he'll eventually become septic if the infected tail isn't amputated ASAP.

So the bottom line to this whole thing is that the injury was neglected, it got worse, and now an otherwise healthy dragon will be killed because it's injury was neglected, and it's just "easier" to kill him? WHY DOESN'T SHE JUST SURRENDER HIM TO A REPTILE RESCUE? WHY NOT PUT AN AD ON CRAIGSLIST ASKING FOR SOMEONE TO ADOPT HIM AND TAKE HIM FOR A TAIL AMPUTATION AND TREATMENT? Neither of those options will cost you a cent...Or YOU NEED TO GO GET HIM AND REHOME/SURRENDER HIM TO A RESCUE OR PERSON WILLING TO TAKE HIM FOR A SIMPLE AMPUTATION! It's that simple. Killing a healthy dragon so you don't have to pay for healthcare for it is just awful, the euthanization isn't cheap either, so as I said, if she can pay for that, she can pay for vet care.

On a different note, those 2 dragons shouldn't be housed together, especially if there are "bugs" in the tank, and their lighting is not appropriate at all, so I'm wondering how her dragon is so big and healthy looking. I will repeat what Knobbys said because you I guess are the owner of the younger, smaller dragon, and you seem to care about her, so if those red or black bulbs are your lights, your dragon does not have adequate UVB or basking lights, and you need to change them out immediately for a bright white basking bulb and a long, flourescent 10.0 tube UVB and fixture, either an 18" or 24" Reptisun 10.0 tube UVB or an Arcadia 12% tube UVB. No colored bulbs of any kind, no red, black, blue, yellow, green, etc. and no night lights at all. And you need to get a digital probe thermometer rather than stick-on thermometers and get the enclosure temperatures within the correct ranges once you get the correct lighting. Without an adequate and appropriate UVB light your beardie will not grow, will not absorb Calcium or any other nutrition, and will end up with MBD. And without proper temps he cannot digest food properly to begin with.

This is all secondary right now to getting the male to a reptile vet IMMEDIATELY for an amputation and antibiotics, whether that means surrendering him to a rescue or rehoming him to a willing and capable new owner asap, it needs to be done now before he gets very sick from septic infection. His eyes are swollen, likely from the bad lighting, so he's in a great bit of discomfort and needs help.

If she is willing to euthanize him then she certainly won't mind rehoming him or surrendering him to a rescue...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I really hope they have taken our advise and are too busy to update us but I doubt it as I have a very bad feeling about this beardie's situation and the priorities of the people involved.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, I was very confused about the OP's post to begin with, it's not his beardie but the 2 are together in a tank. So does he now have custody of her dragon? And if so, why hasn't he gotten the dragon to a vet? Surely he won't allow his sister to euthanize her healthy dragon who needs only a simple amputation, antibiotics, and new lighting if he already has custody of the dragon. I'm not real hopeful either, but I hope I'm wrong, because the remedy to this issue so simple, yet we're discussing killing the poor guy.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Just to add to what we're telling you, and while we're waiting for an update, I thought I would offer helping you guys find either a reputable reptile rescue near you, or a willing, knowledgeable, and financially able new owner to adopt him and who will be able to immediately take him to an experienced reptile vet to get the rest of his tail amputated and get him an antibiotic injection and oral antibiotics to take home. If you let us know what town or city you live in we can find the closest reptile rescue to you, or put a call out for willing and capable new owners to adopt him.

I'm really hoping this isn't going to be one of the situations where the owner of a sick beardie that desperately needs medical treatment, and who isn't able to pay for it, would rather euthanize him or just let him sit as-is until he suffers and dies than to surrender him to a reptile rescue or new owner. It makes no sense but it happens all the time. Reputable reptile rescues have agreements set up with their local reptile vets, they get discounted rates from the vets, and they take donations to pay for the medical care that the reptiles they take in need. So if this beardie, who is otherwise a big, healthy boy and can live a long, happy life after having this procedure and getting the meds he needs, can be saved instead of being euthanized, why not do it ASAP? I understand not having the financial capability to help him get medical care (though once again, euthanizing him costs money too), but I don't understand allowing him to just stay in pain and discomfort (his eyes look incredibly sore too) or killing him when it could be taken care of today. I don't know where you guys live, but if you're anywhere near the state of Pennsylvania, like anywhere near the Northeastern, MidAtlantic, or New England states, I'd be more than happy to drive a ways to come pick him up and get him to my certified reptile vet IMMEDIATELY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom