Beardie smoke inhalation, HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahLebrun19

Hi I have a 4/5 year old grey beardie (male) unfortunately his heat bulb caught alight and we have no clue how, one minute we left the house and left his heat lamp on as it had been off overnight and he was a bit cold so we left it on while we went to my grandparents for a few hours, next thing we knew we got a phone call to say that the smoke alarms at the house were going off, my beardie is still alive but when I got him out his cage he was gasping for air, hes no longer gasping and is now breathing normally, we have no idea how long the fire was going on for but his vivarium wasn't burnt the whole way, just near the heat bulb, he is hardly moving and seems so weak :( I need help here, will he pull through This, I took him to my mother's friends house and my beardie was alert and looking around, now we are taking him back to my house (as the vivarium can no longer be used) and he isn't moving again, maybe due to him being cold, but what should I do :'( I really dont wanna lose him! I'm thinking maybe it's cus he's now cold due to my beardie being active in my friends house.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear this . I think that if he's not breathing heavy, gasping or wheezing then he'll probably be O.K. Usually the only thing to do if there were symptoms of distress would be oxygen therapy + rest.

He may just be lethargic because of the stress of this experience + being ousted from his home. Just keep an eye out for the symptoms that I mentioned but it sounds like he's O.K. If in doubt you can take him to a vet though....use your judgement.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Fortunately smoke tends to rise (with the warm air from the ignition source).

Very important - have a sparky replace the light socket with a good quality all ceramic light fitting and make sure if it's secured under a timber or plastic viv lid that it's either mounted with some insulating material between the light fitting
http://www.reptiledirect.com.au/p/3182/AUR-006-Mounting-Block-for-Light.html
or on a metal bracket like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Komodo-Ceramic-Lamp-Bracket-sgl/1537354220?iid=272502596112 (better).
Here is a unit that the ceramic e27 socket attaches to : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProRep-Ceramic-Lamp-Heater-Holder-Bracket-Fitting-for-reptile-vivarium-/381864468875?var=&epid=1980567555&hash=item58e8e5618b:m:mAIzpRm9A2lq-5sawbq08Iw

Dodged a bullet there - houses have been burnt down in similar situations.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy!
If he is still acting ill, you could consider nebulization with a saline solution to try & help him
clear his lungs out.
Are you working on getting him a new home built or fixed up for him soon?
I hope he is going to be alright. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom