Had some bad panic attack and is really not looking well

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseethan

I wasn't presently home when the panic attack happened but 2 days following after it, his health dropped. His beard is black all day. His eyes are sunken and his head looks dehydrated. He continues to try to poop even though he has yesterday. Constantly moving his body in a wave fashion. He was trying so hard to poop that we could hear his bones cracking. He has black dots forming on the top of his head and down his spine. I have given him 2 baths in the past hour, one of which has 1/2 water, 1/2 Pedialyte. I have a vet appointment today at 4:30 PST. Is there anything I can do to comfort/help him? He seems like he's in a lot of pain.

He seems to be really trying to poop. He is using all his strength to get something out that doesn't seem to be there. I dont feel any lumps in his stomach

The black dots are now getting worse

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
It sounds very much like he's impacted, is it possible he ate something that is causing a blockage, like a piece of plastic plant? I have a rescue I adopted who had severe MBD and the worst mealworm impaction ever, and he continuously strained, squirmed, and snapped his hips trying to pass the blockage, which took a week and a half and 3 huge poops of shells...What is his daily diet? What substrate is in his enclosure bottom? I don't know what you mean by a "panic attack"?

Pedialyte in a bath does absolutely nothing unless he actively drinks the water through his mouth, they absorb zero hydration through their vents or skin, so WARM baths serve only to encourage a bowel movement through relaxing their muscles and stimulating their vent area with warmth. You need to start an impaction and hydration protocol immediately, giving him natural laxative slurries and unflavored Pedialyte THROUGH HIS MOUTH ONLY. After a few slurries by mouth and then a warm bath after the slurries he should pass a normal fecal impaction of mealworm shells, superworm shells, or loose substrate like any type of sand, crushed walnut shells, gravel, rocks, etc., but if he has a blockage consisting of fake plastic plants or other enclosure decor, or even some very nasty loose substrates like crushed walnut shells, Calcium sand (hardens when wet into cement like rocks), rocks or gravel, etc. then he may need surgery to remove it and repair any internal bleeding caused by it. Also, all of these impaction risks I've spoken of can cause pressure on their spines causing pain, spasms and muscle twitching, paralysis, and death, so the vet needs to be an experienced reptile vet who knows about impactions in bearded dragons and does x-rays and an ultrasound to find the blockage and identify what it is, because some will not pass on their own.

The natural laxative slurries can be made with prune baby food, plain canned pumpkin (from the canned veggie aisle at the grocery store, not pumpkin pie filling but rather raw canned pumpkin that is plain), unflavored Pedialyte, a pinch of Calcium powder and a pinch of multivitamin powder, and even a pinch of Psyllium Husk, which can be bought at Walmart in the laxative/peptobismal aisle in a bottle of capsules that are just plain Psyllium Husk (I have a bottle of the generic Walmart brand on hand at all times for my rescue boy, works wonderfully). Empty a jar of the prune baby food into a microwave-safe container, then add 2-3 tablespoons of the raw, canned pumpkin and then mix it very well. Add a pinch of Calcium powder, a pinch of multivitamin powder, and a pinch of the Psyllium Husk (empty a capsule and add a pinch of the powder). Add in some of the unflavored Pedialyte to the mix to thin it out enough to be able to be dispensed in an eyedropper or oral syringe, and mix it all up very well. Microwave it for a minute, then again mix it really, really well. You want it warm but not hot, and like a baby bottle test it on your wrist. Then drip it on his snout, let him lick it off, drip more, let him lick it off, etc. Give him as much as he'll eat, then let him bask under his UVB and basking lights. Give him this slurry twice daily, he'll get not only the laxative, but also hydration and electrolytes, some nutrition, and his Calcium and multivitamins. I usually do this twice a day, then the next morning do it again, let them bask again, then give a warmer than normal bath, and typically after 5-10 minutes in the bath they'll pass the impaction. But if you're going to the vet today at 4:30 then an experienced reptile vet should run the correct imaging tests to identify the impaction or blockage, and recommend either a similar impaction protocol or surgery if he has a blockage. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO GIVE HIM ANY MEDICATIONS LIKE ANTIBIOTICS, ANTIFUNGALS, ANTIPARASITICS, OR ANTIPROTOZOANS WITHOUT RUNNING ANY FECAL TESTING, CULTURE AND SENSITIVITY TESTING, OR BLOOD WORK TO ACTUALLY DIAGNOSE AN INFECTION THAT REQUIRES THESE TYPES OF MEDS!!!! A lot of vets, especially "exotics" vets or general vets just give Antibiotic, antifungal, antiparasitics, etc. by injection or orally "just in case" they have an infection, or more often because they don't know what to do or what's wrong, so they prescribe a "broad-spectrum" Antibiotic hoping it might help, or they guess that they might have worms or parasites or a high coccidia count without running any cultures, fecals, or blood work, and just give them the antiparasitic medications, and all of these meds are not only unnecessary 99.9% of the time, they actually make the dragon much sicker than they were to begin with, causing secondary problems on top of the reason you took them in in the first place, which at the end of the appointment is still not diagnosed. ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT, DO NOT LET THE VET DO AN ENEMA!!!! This is a very popular way for "exotics" vets to try to pass an impaction in a bearded dragon rather than surgery or laxative slurries, and usually the bearded dragon dies of being literally drowned by the enema.

wiseethan

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the extremely detailed response.
I don't think it is an impaction considering he made a decent sized poop yesterday. He didn't eat for the rest of the day yesterday. The plants all are intact other than some bits marks. He doesn't have sand in his aquarium/ I don't feel him any worms. For the panic attack, i should've specified more. He got extremely aggressive and was willing to attack anything he saw including me. His beard grew black and was very defensive. I brought him to the vet earlier so they could keep an eye on him. I'll let you know what the vet had to say.

wiseethan

Original Poster
I'm sad to say that I was informed that he had passed away. They tried to give him calcium and vitamins and he was unresponsive. Thank you for giving a detailed response, I very much appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom