Beardie Dying - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvazquez

So Chubbs is not doing well. I've had him for 3 years today and he was an adult when I got him so I have no clue how old he is.

I work overnights and when I woke up today around 4:30 pm, my husband said that Chubbs had been "going crazy" all day and that he flipped off of his skull ornament and was on his back (this has NEVER happened before). I went right over to him and he looked pale and his beard was jet black. He never turns his beard black, even at the vet, so I knew something was wrong. I started calling my vet and then saw him pulling himself around with his head dragging. My vet and all herp vets within 20 miles was closed so I called the closest one that was still open. We went and they gave him SQ fluids, Baytril injectable, dextrose injectable, nutri-cal, and took an xray. The vet said he saw gas on xray and that he probably just has an infection or ate something weird. I know for a fact that he didn't eat anything weird and I honestly feel like this guy had little to no clue what he was talking about.

He is still moving around a decent amount more than usual and is awfully spastic. I've seen him fall onto his back twice already and he is still pale and the beard is jet black. Can anyone give me an honest opinion here? I just want to know if I'm on the right track and if he is dying. My vet won't be in until Monday and the way he looks, I don't know if he'll make it that long. I just need to know what to expect and how to make him comfortable.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Poor boy .... I'd be worried sick if this happened to any of my gang.

General vets are hopeless when it comes to reptile medicine as are exotics vets, and even reptile vets seem very hit and miss.

Get a copy of the Xray emailed to you and post it here .... someone may then be able to make a site only diagnosis (guess). No obvious broken bones or dislocations , even the most hopeless vet can pick these up on an Xray ,so that's a good sign.

Is he star-gazing ?

Or is it like a balance problem (gas/fluid -- is it in the ear ???) ==> inner ear problem can result in a very giddy lizard who can't balance. Inner ear infections BLOODY HURT !!! imagine a redhot poker in your ear !!! ( I know from personal experience - I had one and not even PANADIENE FORTE touched it .... my GP had to perforate my ear drum and insert a wick to drain the pus , I was laid up in agony for 2 weeks.)

I'd get him to a reptile vet immediately , they should have an afterhours contact number and will be available for emergencies no booking required - but call them and tell them you are on your way(this sounds like one).

Remove all opportunities to climb while he's having problems , don't want him falling off stuff that's high enough to injury him.

More information about his setup and lighting will be helpful too , my cheatsheet will help you zero in on any tweeks or changes needed : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

lvazquez

Original Poster
It's almost like a seizure. He goes crazy and then goes rigid and eventually loosens up. I ended up taking everything out of the tank after the last one because I was afraid he was going to hurt himself. Can't fall asleep because I can't stop worrying. His regular vet is amazing with reptiles and loves him but he isn't in tomorrow. Unfortunately there really aren't any other ones around, especially on a Sunday. The way he is right now, I'm feeling like putting him to sleep would be more humane. I feel horrible and helpless.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I would not lose all hope yet, nor would I think about putting him to sleep, he may have an infection in his gastrointestinal tract, that would cause excess gas...When is the last time he had a bowel movement? Was it normal looking/smelling? Is he still eating? Does he act the same way when he's outside of his enclosure?

The dextrose and Baytril injections were completely unnecessary and just plain stupidity and ridiculous. He gave him a broad-spectrum antibiotic injection without doing any blood work, cultures, or even a fecal to confirm a bacterial infection that Baytril would be able to treat, he may have worms or a parasite or a high coccidia count, or a fungal infection, or a bacterial infection that Baytril will not treat, so why in the world any vet would inject an antibiotic without knowing if he even has a bacterial infection is beyond me...And charge you for it too...And injecting sugar water into him is just plain *****ic, why did he think k he needed an injection of sugar water? My god, these people actually went through 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of veterinary school, plus an internship and a residency...Good God.

I would remeasure his temps inside his enclosure, basking, hot side, and cool side, make sure they're all within the normal ranges, and I'd actually give him a warmer than normal bath for 10-15 minutes and see if you can get him to poop, and take a look at it and make sure it looks normal. Tomorrow you need to try to get the x-ray sent to you or to your regular reptile vet, then call your regular reptile vet and tell them what's going on and I'm sure they'll see him immediately. Take the x-ray, and request blood work be done, that's what is going to give you some answers.

lvazquez

Original Poster
EllenD yes I completely agree about the vet. I won't even bother with a regular vet next time. Regardless of whether he's in or out of the tank he acts the same. He had a totally normal bm on Friday and the vet said he pooped and urinated while they were working on him too. It's never foul smelling either. He was treated 3 years ago when I got him for some sort of parasite, can't remember which one right now, and it hasn't smelled bad since.

Also, his enclosure, lighting, temps, everything, are all good. It's been 3 years with updating bulbs every 6 months. The last replacement was about a month ago so we're still good there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom