Our herp vet broke Mandrakes ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my beardie to the vet because he was having some tail twitching. He had already had a calcium deficiency as a baby and I was concerned it was something to do with that. Anyway we decide to test four atadenovirus which needed a coaccal swab. After he was taken in the back the vet tech said he got pretty angry, which I laughed. When we got home he was clinching his side and he was stiff. Every time I gently touched it he cringed. I called the vet and he said there's nothing that they could really do for the ribs and to give him pain meds. I have a very crooked little guy and it breaks my heart. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Akire

Oh man, if my vet or a technician broke one of my animals ribs there would be hell to pay. That is totally unacceptable! They are supposed to know how to subdue an animal without hurting it. :banghead: I would definitely want to speak to an owner or something. They need to know that is not okay. I'm so sorry your beardie had to go through that (and you!).

Hopefully someone with more experience than me can give you advice to make him more comfortable. Good luck! :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Did they even tell you there was something wrong when you left the surgery with him ?

If this happened in an accident ( lizards do move fast and the floors at vet surgerys are hard lino or tile surfaces and it's long way from the standing bench to the floor ) then if the vet was upfront and apologetic (profusely) and offered free pain relief and treatment for an accident while in their hands I'd be very miffed but would accept that accidents happen - we've all had a dragon leap off a chair , off our laps.

BUT .... if he told you nothing about it and hoped you wouldn't notice anything was wrong and only admitted something happened causing a SERIOUS injury ( broken ribs are a VERY SERIOUS & PAINFUL INJURY !!! ) to my pet ONLY when after I got home with it and then blew me off
>>>> gutless !!!
>>>> untrustworthy
>>>> uncaring
>>>> bloody incompetent
..... I'd be beyond miffed , I'd be seeing red and wanting his blood !!! I'd be threatening to lawyer up on the j3rk and demanding they pay for all required treatment ( and taking my business elsewhere and telling EVERYONE about this ).

Mandrakesmom69

Original Poster
I already had the pain meds from when he was recovering from mbd. He told me to use that. Nobody said anything to me. When I emailed him about what I was seeing I told him I know he's a squirmer. However, I was left to discover his ribs, they are crooked now! He told me that they could do x rays but not much they could do for broken ribs. It is terrible to see my baby in pain like that. I get it if it was an accident, but I do know that a vet is not supposed to perform anything if the animal is in distress until they have calmed down or given a sedative.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, seriously, you need to take him back and get the x-rays done, obviously for free, because if you can actually see crooked ribs then he's very seriously injured, and you do realize that actually fractured/displaced ribs (as opposed to ribs with a hairline fracture or "crack") can actually puncture his lungs and cause them to collapse...I had a very serious car accident in 2012 where my Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution went head on into the back of a Subaru wagon at 45 mph. Since the Evo is a rally car it had 9 airbags, including a knee bag. I'm very lucky I lived, I got hit with 4 different airbags. Anyway, my left side 3 lowest ribs were all "cracked" (hairline fracture in all 3 ribs, but they were not broken the entire way through or displaced). It was one of the most painful things I've ever been through, Dilaudid didn't even help the pain much...But the real problem is that ribs are made of "flat bone", which is very poorly vascularized, and they heal extremely slowly. Well 3 months after the accident my ribs were occasionally sore, but not bad. Then I slipped on the ice in my driveway, fell flat on my back, and the jolt not only opened up the cracks in all 3 bones, but this time all 3 broke completely in half and we're displaced, meaning the pieces didn't line up. At that point you could visibly see that my ribs were broken through my skin if you just looked at me (I am 5'6 and weigh 130 Pou day, so not too much padding to cover them up). That was so painful that I thought I was dying, and the doctors were very concerned about the displaced bones puncturing either my lung, the pericardium around my heart, or a large blood vessel that would cause me to bleed to death. So they operated and put plates and screws in to hold them in place while they healed back together...I was fine for the next year and a half, but no joke, I can't make this up, at the end of 2015 I again fell, this time on my stomach, and the damn things cracked AGAIN.

So if you can see that his ribs are visibly "crooked" then he not only needs an x-ray to see how bad the break or breaks are, but you want documentation that this happened, because let me tell you, if a veterinarian's office knowingly sent my beardie home with me while he was injured from something that happened there, and they didn't tell me, hoping that I didn't notice, I'd have my lawyer on the phone so fast they wouldn't know what hit them. That is one of the most irresponsible, shady, and potentially catastrophic acts I've ever heard of a vet doing. What if one of the broken ribs punctures his lung and he dies, and you'd have no idea why...Not to mention they knowingly left your beardie in excruciating pain, they didn't care about it, and didn't tell you about it? All because they made a mistake or he had an accidental fall or something and they didn't want to upset you? That makes no sense...

Did they even apologize to you? I mean, how did you even find out about it? Did they tell you what actually happened, like he fell off the table, or the vet or vet tech squeezed him too hard, or did they not admit that anything actually happened? Or what, you called them and said "hey, I just got home with my beardie from his appointment and he's now in a ton of pain and is holding his size. Something is wrong, do you know what?", and then the vet tech on the phone just said "Oh yeah, while he was in the back with us he broke a few ribs. We didn't tell you because there nothing that can be done about it"...? I mean, I'm really confused about how that could even happen...

If I were you, and I hope you feel the same way about your pets, I would just show up at the vet's office tomorrow morning first thing with your beardie (take lots of photos of his ribs and how he's holding them all scrunched up, prior to taking him back), and demand to see the owner of the veterinary office immediately. I'd demand a full explanation of EXACTLY what happened and why the hell they didn't tell you about it before you left the office, and why they didn't feel it was necessary to get your poor beardie treatment for the broken ribs at once (had you not had left over metacam at home, he'd have no pain meds!!!). Then I'd demand they do a full set of x-rays immediately, for free, and they give you a digital copy immediately so you have them. Then I'd tell them you want a full refund of your money that you paid that day, and you want full treatment for the broken ribs for free, including the x-rays, more pain meds, and anything else that might pop up. And if they refuse I'd make it very clear that you're going to blast your story all over your local social media, call all the local news stations and newspapers, and make sure that everyone knows the kind of Medical practice they really are, and that they don't care a thing about the welfare of animals.

And never, ever, ever let any vet take your pet away from you. You demand to be with your pet every second they are in that vet office. Period.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This is unreal. They should do Xrays free of charge but I'd be afraid to take him back, and your dragon would be afraid as well. Poor little trooper, can you show a pic of how it looks ? I would be very insistent on getting any money spent back and possibly take him to another vet and have the first vet pay for it.

Is he eating today ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I definitely wouldn't ever let them touch him ever again , it will be terrifying for your beardie to even see them again (they do remember when they are hurt and who did it).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is extremely disturbing. I am not sure I would take him back to the same vet,
because your dragon would probably be scared of him & would cause undue stress. I do
think you should definitely get a refund as well.
How is your dragon doing this evening?

Tracie

Mandrakesmom69

Original Poster
Thank you all for the concern over my little boy!! To give you an update he has had free x rays to make sure his internal organs are good! What I would have to get out there to other pet guardians is that you have every right to hold your pet in any situation that doesn't cal for surgery! I should've never let them take him back if he was so uneasy! That being said, no practice should perform anything, no matter how miniscule it might seem, if the pet is stressed!!!
I'm sorry, I don't have a pic uploadable to show you of him.. I will say he is still full of p*** and vinegar with a personality of a dinosaur!!
Again, thank you for your concern!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful news to hear Mandrakes is feeling better. :D
I'm glad he got some free x-rays out of it also. I agree, we have the right to go back with
our dragon, in the exam area, absolutely!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom