After a Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
I am stuck at work and my SO just reported that our beardie, Bert, fell from the ledge around our stairwell while he was out exploring. He is estimating Bert fell 4-6 feet, but he is a terrible judge of distance, so I am not sure if that is accurate. He says Bert is behaving and moving normally and does not appear to have any injuries or be in any distress. Is there anything I should look for when I get home? Any signs that might indicate if he has anything broken or any internal injuries?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, hopefully your beardie just dodged a bullet [ it sounds like it ] If he was hurt, he'd be limping , blackbeardiing + acting either very aggressive or lethargic. If he's doing none of that and is active , eating, etc then he's fine.

For future, best to not let him roam around out of your sight. How sad when a pet [ and happens to children too ] gets seriously hurt when it was entirely preventable.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Bert was never out of Clayton's sight, I think Clayton just assumed Bert would have some self-preservation instincts when it came to heights? Clayton couldn't move fast enough to save him once he decided to leap off of there. I will definitely be blocking off that ledge before allowing Bert out of his viv again and I will keep an extra close eye on him this weekend for any signs of injury or trauma.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I went out and bought two of these to string together and block off the ledge around the stairwell. They are the perfect size. Only 9 inches tall and very stable when spread out in an accordion. I am very excited that Bert will be safe now!

http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/c...pens/kaytee-crittertrail-playpen-5112965.html

4192.jpg

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Bert seemed fine all evening. He was running around and looking content. No black-bearding, no limping, and no lethargy. His lights are off now and he has plopped down right where he happened to be when it was bed-time, which is his normal MO. Will keep a close eye on him tomorrow and Sunday, but I think we are in the clear. And now I have his little fence set up, so no more dangerous falls!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is absolutely perfect, he will be safe now!
I am glad to hear Bert hasn't shown any lethargic behavior, black bearding or anything else.
I would keep an eye on him all weekend though, just to be sure.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom