Help my baby ate a bug from outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Unless it was a firefly [aka lightning bug ] it is probably safe. All sorts of flies, moths , even bees + wasps can be eaten with no ill effects in most cases.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah my dragon does that often (has eaten 3 yellow jackets just this summer which gave me a heart attack each time). I try to keep him close and stop him when I can and he doesn't go outside during firefly season though. Since it's so late in the season now I doubt what she ate will be harmful to her. Just keep an eye on her and watch for a dark black beard, vomiting, or other odd behavior. Based on what I've seen though it shouldn't be a problem.

AthenaStinson2017

Original Poster
Her beard got dark when she ate it but that was because the bug landed on me I didn't notice till she flipped around and ate it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It would be pretty clear that something is wrong. Her whole beard would go really dark black and she'd act lethargic or generally out of it. If it's something toxic it usually takes effect quickly so if she's acting OK now she's probably fine. That said, I find it comforting to carry a charcoal kit wherever I have my dragon. You can administer activated charcoal to help bind the toxins so they pass through without causing harm. At the very least it buys you time to get to a vet in a severe case. http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Charcoal_Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom