Is my bearded dragon healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NozdormusDad

Hello I have had my Bearded Dragon for a couple days now and the first two days Nozdormu ate fine but now he no longer eats crickets (don't have easy access to roaches and I'm trying to figure out how to breed them) but he does always eat his fruits and veggies. He moves from his basking spot under the heat light to the uvb and also moves into his hide away but I'm worried he might have tail rot. When I got him they said it was a birth defect. They also didn't know his morph, age and weren't 100% on the sex. Please help
94446-8981420830.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he looks quite healthy.....he may have eaten a few crickets that were too big. What size were they ? Is he pooing every day ?

Did you get him from a breeder or a store. The tail is 99.9 % always due to being bitten off by a cagemate. Once in a while another accident causes it [ like getting caught in a door ] Can you post a few closer up pics of his tail only ? It's pretty common for the end to be dark like that but just keep an eye on it that it doesn't look infected.

While you're posing here, can you put up a few pics of his entire set up + list what lights he has ?

NozdormusDad

Original Poster
94446-2237944519.jpg
94446-7423734972.jpg
The crickets were smaller than the space between his eyes and he poops everyday but today he pooped 3 times. I got him from PetSmart and i kind of regret not going to a breeder just from seeing stories about PetSmart. 26W uvb and a 100W heat bulb.
94446-4040985410.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K., dragon's from pet stores come from breeders so sometimes you get healthy ones. A tail nip is not a big problem unless it gets infected, his looks like it healed well. :)

Your set up looks good, one big thing to do ASAP is get a good uvb bulb. The coil + compact bulbs are not going to give him proper uvb. Order a Reptisun 10.0t5 ASAP or an Arcadia D3 12% . Those can set on top of the screen. Less powerful uvb needs to be mounted under the screen.

NozdormusDad

Original Poster
Okay thank you so much for your help. I will get the Reptisun 10.0t5 asap but one last question is how many crickets should he be eating a day?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
When the dragon is just in a new home they my eat less, but once they're on a good schedule a small juvenile could eat 20-30 or so a day in 2 feedings. If the crckets are VERY small they'd need more, if they're on the large side [ be careful of this ] then the 20-30 is a good amount. Some will eat more but you don't have to go crazy + do the 50-80 that you'll hear about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom