Sunken fat pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks very healthy , has lost a bit of weight but he had a little chub on him there anyway. :) Very handsome Brick !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You might want to call the clinic every day and ask exactly what is being done every day. Ask them to explain in a way that you can understand. If he were your child you'd be there every day so I'm sure they'll understand at least a phone call from a concerned owner daily.

tendo102

Original Poster
They did say they would call every day, but normally I wouldn't want to question too much, I guess I just trust a lot but now I will want full explanations every day like you said. I just hope the new environment hasn't stressed him out too much. Poor thing he didn't ask for any of this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Brick looks very handsome! Is he a leatherback?
So you initially took him because he wasn't doing real well?
I am willing to say that he may not have needed any treatment at all, or if he needed anything
then it wouldn't have been much. He could have possibly just been slowing down for brumation,
perhaps.

Let us know what the vet says!
Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":3sct4tx9 said:
You might want to call the clinic every day and ask exactly what is being done every day. Ask them to explain in a way that you can understand. If he were your child you'd be there every day so I'm sure they'll understand at least a phone call from a concerned owner daily.
i'd be visiting him every day .... he'd appreciate that .

tendo102

Original Poster
We got a heart breaking call from the vet this morning. Brick Top is no longer with us. This should never have happened, he was so lovely and the poor thing suffered for no good reason. I cannot explain how I feel. I have never felt guilt like this in my life. Thank you everyone for your help and concern.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no.....I just cringe to hear this and my heart breaks for you, it really does !!! :( I know your heart is breaking, I'm so sorry. I just hate to hear when the vet wants to keep the dragon when it's simply a bit lethargic due to a few parasites. This has been the outcome with a high percentage of the beardies on these forums. Of course there's a very, very slight chance that it was something else.

All my sympathy to you + your family. And don't blame yourself. You thought Top Brick was in good hands.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Please don't beat yourself up over Top Brick's death .... you did everything you could for him , it's not your fault that you and Top Brick lucked out and had to rely on a vet who is incompetent..

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
What? Oh my god, he looked extremely healthy and big, he should not have died over a moderate coccidia count. I'm so, so sorry. Did they tell you why they think he died?

I know this isn't your major concern right now, but you need to request copies of everything (every single little thing) they did, everything they gave him, fed him, everything, because my guess is he died from an unnecessary cause, namely a Sulfa allergy (very common) from the Sulfatrim, or an unnecessary procedure like an enema or something similar. You are owed a complete explanation and compensation, as something is very, very wrong with this. It's not in any way your fault, he was a big, healthy, well taken care of beardie who died due to unnecessary and inadequate vet care, and this is happening more and more every day. Please request a full explanation of what happened, and a necropsy at a different vet with blood work is a good idea. I knew the Sulfatrim was a very bad thing, but I just figured he'd be unnecessarily sick for a while after the meds finished, I never thought he would die, but if he had a Sulfa allergy and they did no culture to determine whether or not the strain of coccidia would be effected by the Sulfatrim and gave it anyway, they are to blame. I'm just so sorry.

tendo102

Original Poster
Hi, Its been a few weeks gone by now. We have been waiting for post mortem results and we have just found them out now for poor Brick Top.

His blood test results taken the day before his death showed that he had significant kidney failure. The vet believes this is the main cause of death. Since the day we got Brick Top he always had slight "bloodhound" droopy eyes. I posted here on the forum and googled about it online and even took him for the health check up the day after we got him and were told that it could be kidney issues, but it could also just be how he looks. I am now wondering if he had kidney problems the whole time we had him, I just don't know.

The post mortem also showed he had (excuse my poor spelling) hepatic liverdosis where there was a lot of fat around his liver. The vet said this could be due to his anorexia as he stopped eating suddenly 3 weeks before he passed. He was always fit and healthy before then. His small intestine also had almost completely broken down inside wall, which is apparently responsible for absorbing water as he was severely dehydrated. This could have happened after death but for a while before he showed signs of being ill, he was pass water when he pooed, but he would drink a lot of water every day (he would drink from a needless syringe or from the bath a lot, I thought it was excess water from being hydrated after finding out more about it online and even asking our vet).

This is all the information I was able to jot down whilst on the phone to her just now, she is going to send me the results via email later today. She said in her opinion the most likely cause of death was the kidney failure, and it could have been an issue he has had since before we got him at around 6 months old. She said it was the worst kidney failure she has seen herself.

This is the second time we have gone through this with a bearded dragon in the past year. Our Trevor died back in March, who had signs of suffering from MBD (we didn't know this until we had had him a few months and something just wasnt right). He was 2 when we homed him, and we only had him a year before he died despite our best efforts and we were utterly heart broken. It seemed he was doomed before we even got him and it was only a matter of time. To be told this again about Brick Top just feels like ground hog day. He barely even made it to a year old, and thats so unfair for him. we've decided to not get anymore beardies or reptles (we were going to get a second bearded dragon, I ordered 2 stacking vivs for them and was going to make the spare room the reptile room) and I was going to be getting my first snake (a royal python) but we just can't go through this again. I'm now in the process of selling off all the things (and the two brand new vivariums now sat in our hallway).

We may think about getting bearded dragons again in the future, but for now its just too painful for us, I realised I felt bitter towards people I know who have never had issues with their beardies and I feel like if we get another its just going to go wrong. Thank you all for all of your help and support. One thing I truly loved about having bearded dragons is the community and passion, and you have all been so supportive. Thank you for that.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I thought the same thing when we lost Puff suddenly .

But a few weeks after we lost Puff I decided to get another pair of hatchlings , mostly because breeders in my area are few and far apart and I saw an advert on GumTree , I procrastinated for week and finally decided to contact the breeder and get some details, and discovered she was only 45 mins drive away so we decided to pay per a visit , the rest is history (Peppa and Toothless came home with us) , they were a great way of keeping my mind from dwelling on my now gone very lovely and affectionate big boy , was too busy looking after the little 5 week olds and it helped .

I think you may well benefit , and certainly another pet lizard will, need not necessarily be another beardie , but you have acquired beardie care skills so you will find it easier to avoid the usual Noob traps and mistakes.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
tendo102":3veyeawp said:
Hi, Its been a few weeks gone by now. We have been waiting for post mortem results and we have just found them out now for poor Brick Top.

His blood test results taken the day before his death showed that he had significant kidney failure. The vet believes this is the main cause of death. Since the day we got Brick Top he always had slight "bloodhound" droopy eyes. I posted here on the forum and googled about it online and even took him for the health check up the day after we got him and were told that it could be kidney issues, but it could also just be how he looks. I am now wondering if he had kidney problems the whole time we had him, I just don't know.

The post mortem also showed he had (excuse my poor spelling) hepatic liverdosis where there was a lot of fat around his liver. The vet said this could be due to his anorexia as he stopped eating suddenly 3 weeks before he passed. He was always fit and healthy before then. His small intestine also had almost completely broken down inside wall, which is apparently responsible for absorbing water as he was severely dehydrated. This could have happened after death but for a while before he showed signs of being ill, he was pass water when he pooed, but he would drink a lot of water every day (he would drink from a needless syringe or from the bath a lot, I thought it was excess water from being hydrated after finding out more about it online and even asking our vet).

<<< likely the sulphur drugs buggered up his kidneys and may well have have wrecked his liver too. Poor little fellow.

This is all the information I was able to jot down whilst on the phone to her just now, she is going to send me the results via email later today. She said in her opinion the most likely cause of death was the kidney failure, and it could have been an issue he has had since before we got him at around 6 months old. She said it was the worst kidney failure she has seen herself.

This is the second time we have gone through this with a bearded dragon in the past year. Our Trevor died back in March, who had signs of suffering from MBD (we didn't know this until we had had him a few months and something just wasnt right). He was 2 when we homed him, and we only had him a year before he died despite our best efforts and we were utterly heart broken. It seemed he was doomed before we even got him and it was only a matter of time. To be told this again about Brick Top just feels like ground hog day. He barely even made it to a year old, and thats so unfair for him. we've decided to not get anymore beardies or reptles (we were going to get a second bearded dragon, I ordered 2 stacking vivs for them and was going to make the spare room the reptile room) and I was going to be getting my first snake (a royal python) but we just can't go through this again. I'm now in the process of selling off all the things (and the two brand new vivariums now sat in our hallway).

We may think about getting bearded dragons again in the future, but for now its just too painful for us, I realised I felt bitter towards people I know who have never had issues with their beardies and I feel like if we get another its just going to go wrong. Thank you all for all of your help and support. One thing I truly loved about having bearded dragons is the community and passion, and you have all been so supportive. Thank you for that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH no! Poor Brick, that is really quite shocking & upsetting. :cry: I hear of way too many
incidents of dragons have extended vet stays, only to not make it. A bearded dragon wont
develop a fatty liver in just a few weeks, so if he did have any liver or renal issues it is most
likely due to inbreeding.
I am sorry you have had so much trouble with the couple of dragons you have had. There are
a lot of dragons having health issues these days & it's no fault of the keepers.
I am so sorry you lost him.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Drache613":1art7wuf said:
Hello,

OH no! Poor Brick, that is really quite shocking & upsetting. :cry: I hear of way too many
incidents of dragons have extended vet stays, only to not make it. A bearded dragon wont
develop a fatty liver in just a few weeks, so if he did have any liver or renal issues it is most
likely due to inbreeding.
I am sorry you have had so much trouble with the couple of dragons you have had. There are
a lot of dragons having health issues these days & it's no fault of the keepers.
I am so sorry you lost him.

Tracie

Seriously, what is going on lately? There have to be at least 10 on here right now that have died either while staying overnight at the vet's office, or at home a day or two after coming back from the vet's office and being put on multiple medications that sent them downhill rapidly. I'm almost afraid to open any more posts...

I'm so sorry this happened to you guys, and twice yet, it's nothing at all you guys have done, you've gone above and beyond what 99% of beardie owners typically do to help their sick dragons. I don't even want to say it's "Luck of the draw", that sounds so cold, but it seems to be true. I've gotten 2 dragons from Petco and 1 from a couple who rescued 3 clutches of fertile eggs from a breeder who bred his dragon and then decided he no longer wanted to be a breeder and was going to freeze the eggs...My first Petco dragon I got at 2 months old, and lived to be a month shy of 13 years old, and my second Petco dragon I got at a month old and is now over 10 months and is in perfect health, never even had parasites...and my younger boy from the rescued eggs I took in at 4 weeks (maybe, more like 3 weeks I thing), I was trying to help this couple who rescued the eggs out early, as they had over 60 babies hatch...he's now 5 months old and perfect...yet I work with someone who got a baby beardie from the very same Petco I got my current 10 month old from, he got his about 4 months ago as a month old baby, and I went with him when buying his lighting, thermometer, etc. and I set up his enclosure for him, and instructed him on everything, the diet, the photoperiod, light replacement, etc. and his baby was diagnosed with Adenovirus and his not doing well...

There needs to be much more responsible breeding to begin with, there need to be laws or at least company protocols about the babies being old enough to sell, and there needs to be mandatory testing for Adenovirus before the babies are sold in the first place...and mandatory wellness exams by an experienced reptile vet, and that include fecal testing for parasites and skin scraping for Yellow Fungus...it's just too out of control and putting people, families, young children, etc. through such stressful, heartbreaking times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom