Bearded dragon's mouth is very swollen

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeodette

Original Poster
I live in Alaska so it's just about never that hot outside. The heating pad is only a little warm to keep his body temp. up, and he's still inside. I just put him on a sun spot on the floor in my room.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Ah I see, just keep in mind they can't get uv from the sun through glass though he should be fine for a while and enjoy the warmth and it sounds like he's happier with some outside the viv time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear his eye is doing better now, & that he's using it also. :D Hopefully there isn't
any damage done.
Those juices look fine. You can just dilute them to a 1 part juice, 3 parts water to cut down
on the sugar amount for him. Did he enjoy sitting in the sun on the patio?

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

zoeodette

Original Poster
Hello Tracie! So I just got the juice, and you're suggesting I should dilute the juice with water before mixing it with the baytril? Also, how much water should I be giving him a day? I know baytril makes them dehydrated so I usually mix his .17 ml of baytril with 1ml of water. So he gets about 2ml of water a day, is that too much or too little?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The 2 mls of water daily is perfectly fine.
If you are already diluting the Baytril with water then you can substitute a little bit of juice in
place of the water when mixing it with the Baytril. That should help the flavor out a lot.
That way he gets water, juice & his meds. You can still make up any more fluids with water too.

Tracie

zoeodette

Original Poster
I did his nightly meds about an hour ago, and added a 1:3 juice/water mixture to his baytril and he tolerated it so much better. So I'm hopeful giving his meds won't be as stressful for him anymore.

zoeodette

Original Poster
Update: So I have an unfortunate update... The baytril Little Foot was trailed on didn't work at all. I immediately had the mouth swab sent in (I know I should have done that to start with), and the results just got back today. He apparently has Pseudomonas and a growth. They said it is not treatable and the vet wants to put him on antibiotics for the rest of his life.. I don't think that will help since the last time I put him on antibiotics he completely stopped eating. I've read raw honey could possibly help, but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this infection and has any insight on how to help.. Thank you..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well many reptiles carry pseudomonas naturally so that in itself doesn't cause them to be ill. Is there a growth in his mouth ? Can it be seen , and can you get a picture of it ? I understand your hesitation to put him on antibiotx, how long was he on the Baytril ? Poor little dude, you say he still eats though except when he was on the meds ?

zoeodette

Original Poster
The lady who called didn't seem to know much about the results other than he has "a growth and a secondary infection that is incurable".. He does eat though! He gets very excited when I give him his breakfast. Here is a picture of the growth in his mouth.
94421-522937268.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor sweetie, that's got t be painful but it's really great that he's eating, always a good sign. :) He seems to have some type of infection but it's odd that he's still eating....with a sore mouth that's usually the first sign, they don't want to eat. I don't know why they think he'd be on antibotix for life. There should be something that could clear that up. Raw honey can certainly help, it's one thing you can use until you get better answers. Maybe Drache613 can do some research on this + consult with someone . Have you asked your vet to consult with other vets via skype or anything like that ?

zoeodette

Original Poster
Yeah his mouth doesn't seem to bother him at all when he eats, which is weird to me too.. But I'm just happy he eats at all.. But my vet did consult a reptile vet and thats the person who said it was a growth and it was incurable. I'm definitely going to give raw honey a try though. I will say I'm quite apprehensive to start him on another antibiotic since for one, he stopped eating entirely when on Baytril and two, he's almost 9 years old and I'm not sure how well he would react to such extreme treatments..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Definitely p.m Tracie, she might get to it more quickly. I agree not to treat it aggressively but I would think that there'd be something that could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom