HELP bearded dragon black eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gibsoali000":dwz748q7 said:
Hi! I'm not a medical professional or anything, and I've only had one bearded dragon (which is only a year old), but do you know for sure that when he's shedding that he sheds his eyes completely? I had this problem for a little bit and the same hi g was happening where there was a buildup. I peeled off the top layer of skin that was dead just around his eye and it looked a lot better. Just be careful when you do, though, because they can get infections from new skin being peeled off to early. I decided to get a shedding aid spray, and it helped a lot. I'll post a pic of the spray.
91189-3807930690.jpg

I see you have blueish coloured gravel or sand in your beardie's viv, and it's even in his food dish !!!

VERY DANGEROUS , impaction risk , I can't advise strongly enough that you remove that horrible stuff immediately as it's impossible to keep clean , harbours bacteria/viruses/fungi and parasites and is a strong impaction risk.

Also very risky fiddling with a reptile's eyes/ eyelids , they are perfectly capable of removing the eyelid shed themselves.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
The OP has play sand or regular sand, which should be removed ASAP because it's most likely causing the eye issues, or at the very least it's getting in the poor beardie's eyes that are already infected. The bulging eye may be due to him shedding, they do that sometimes to stretch skin, but because the other eye is obviously infected, chances are the other eye that is swollen is also infected, as eye infections usually spread. So either way the sand has to go...

To the person who responded to the post that has either blue Calcium Sand or blue gravel all through your beardie's tank, PLEASE REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY! It looks like colored Calcium Sand, which is a death trap because it turns to cement rocks when it gets wet, it dyes their skin, and gets full of bacteria and fungi. If it's not blue Calcium Sand but rather some kind of blue gravel then you also need to remove it, as IT'S ALL THROUGH HIS FOOD DISH, which is just making the overall issue worse. Your beardie could eat that easily and I promise you he is eating it every single day, little by little he's licking it, and it's collecting in his gastrointestinal tract. Eventually he's going to have a bad impaction and the collection of gravel/rock hard Calcium Sand will eventually put pressure on his spinal column and cause a partial paralysis. I know, I took in a rescue male about 4+ months ago who was very loved, but was kept on Calcium sand and fed mealworms. He has a permanent paralysis in his back legs from it and it took me over two weeks of intense medical treatment at home and a total certified reptile vet bill to date of over $1,250 for many visits, multiple x-rays, multiple blood panels, an endoscopy, an ultrasound, and multiple medications. And after all of that medical treatment, 3 massive, rock hard poops that hurt him badly, and a specialized, expensive diet from now on for the rest of his life, 4+ months later he's no longer impacted and poops normally but only if he's in a bath and I help him, because the paralysis in his back end makes him too weak to push fecal matter out on his own. All because his very loving, caring prior owners kept him on a loose substrate from the time he was 1 month old when they got him to the day I went and picked him up at 10 months old. So please, save yourself and your beardie the pain, the permanent disabilities, the money, and the next 10 years+ of having to help him poop, eat, walk upright, etc. It's much easier to just remove the loose substrates people, really it is.

Didi93

Original Poster
Hi guys i really do apologise for the slow reply I haven't had chance to read every comment properly yet only just skimmed them. And it is sand in the tank. I will defiantly be changing it though to see if that helps what is the best thing to use? Thank you so much for all the comments it's nice to feel supported. My beardie was very alert earlier and enjoying some carrots his eyes are still bad at the moment. I might give the honey idea a shot. How long would you say to leave it on for? I have been bathing his eye with just normal water the little cutie lets me do it too. Once again thank you all so much

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ah, I apologize for my wrong guess...it looks like wrinkled up carpet. You can apply the honey to both eyes 2-3X a day....be sure there are no loose crickets in the tank and you should get the sand out.

When you bathed the eye is there any difference ?

Didi93

Original Poster
AHBD":2a6slkr7 said:
Ah, I apologize for my wrong guess...it looks like wrinkled up carpet. You can apply the honey to both eyes 2-3X a day....be sure there are no loose crickets in the tank and you should get the sand out.

When you bathed the eye is there any difference ?

It's okay, thank you for your advice do I leave the honey on his eyes or do I leave it on for x amount of time and wash it off? And I never leave insects in his tank I feel him one at a time. It's fun trying to get the cricket back out once he has decided he had enough lol. Once again thank you so much. Would you recommend carpet or like a brown paper? I have also noticed since using the drops from the vets both eyes now water a little is this normal?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Brown paper would prob. be better, carpet has to be cleaned but paper can be thrown away. Non adhesive shelf liner works well.

I can't tell you why his eyes water from the drops, it's either extra fluid or the drops may burn.

The watered down honey can just be dripped on the eye as you would the other drops. It shouldn't be thick.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wondering how he's doing and if you were able to get some honey for him ? Or something else ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom