Please help !!! New baby beardie not eating and sleeps a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The video says not available. I'm sorry you're going through this stress.

He probably was full from the 3 silkworms, they are very filling. Maybe try just one in the a.m. tomorrow, one in mid afternoon and one in the evening.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep , silkworms are big feed.

I've weighed different size silkworms and crickets this is a comparison:
12x MED = 3g
A 30mm long silkworm is 0.5g = 2-3 medium crickets
A 40mm long silkworm is 1.3g = 5-6 medium crickets
a 2 inch long silkworm is 1.8g
a large silkworm about 3in is 2.3g = 8 - 10 medium crickets

A little hatchling like your's will find 3 x small (meal worm) sized silkworms a very big feed. He likely just wants to sleep it off .

Danhm87

Original Poster
AHBD":2bzglm75 said:
The video says not available. I'm sorry you're going through this stress.

He probably was full from the 3 silkworms, they are very filling. Maybe try just one in the a.m. tomorrow, one in mid afternoon and one in the evening.

Would he really starve himself from relocation stress?
I'll keep feeding three a day

Thank you for helping..... I would have lost my mind by now without you guys

Danhm87

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2epz1ct2 said:

12x MED = 3g

A little hatchling like your's will find 3 x small (meal worm) sized silkworms a very big feed. He likely just wants to sleep it off .

Thank you so much for helping m

The silkworm's are stage one so about the size of a small mealworm

I got the temps down to 40-41c on basking and 28-30 on cool side... Are those temps ok?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Danhm87":3a74r5m6 said:
kingofnobbys":3a74r5m6 said:

12x MED = 3g

I got the temps down to 40-41c on basking and 28-30 on cool side... Are those temps ok?
Yes provide the thermometer is accurate .

Danhm87

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":6u1r8144 said:
Danhm87":6u1r8144 said:
kingofnobbys":6u1r8144 said:

12x MED = 3g

Just an update... I am using a infared temp gun for my temps

Yesterday I broke down and I force fed him some silk worms... I held his head with one hand... Opened his mouth with my thumbs and then put a little silkworm halfway in his mouth and then let him take it.... Which he did ... He ate 5 in the course of 3 hours.

He was a different lizard the next day... I had to force one and then I tried to let him hunt it down... And he did!!!

He just got done eating his 12th today. I think he is going to make it.

I am by no means an expert but I do reccomend learning to forcefeed without hurting or causing too my stress to a new arrival baby... I think the shipping procees was too much on him and the more time that passes without him eating caused him to be more and more lethargic, which ends in starvation... Force feeding him boosted his energy and apparently broke the cycle... I'll post one more update a week from now to let you guys know the final results. Thank you all for your help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great then, so far so good. :) There's a time + a way to force feed, some dragons are well enough to take it. Glad to hear this improvement !

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Danhm87":7fsa2gw3 said:
kingofnobbys":7fsa2gw3 said:
Danhm87":7fsa2gw3 said:
kingofnobbys":7fsa2gw3 said:

12x MED = 3g

Yesterday I broke down and I force fed him some silk worms... I held his head with one hand... Opened his mouth with my thumbs and then put a little silkworm halfway in his mouth and then let him take it.... Which he did ... He ate 5 in the course of 3 hours.

He was a different lizard the next day... I had to force one and then I tried to let him hunt it down... And he did!!!

I am by no means an expert but I do reccomend learning to forcefeed without hurting or causing too my stress to a new arrival baby... I think the shipping procees was too much on him and the more time that passes without him eating caused him to be more and more lethargic, which ends in starvation... Force feeding him boosted his energy and apparently broke the cycle... I'll post one more update a week from now to let you guys know the final results. Thank you all for your help.

He's become a little pig ! keeps going like that, he'll be just fine.

Sounds like he likes the silkworms ! Excellent ....he now has a new fav food ! and this one is very good for him.

At that rate you'll need more silkworms ..... time to order some more and maybe order some silkworm eggs.

Savora

Hatchling Member
This makes me so happy! I'm so glad he's okay. I hope his appetite keeps up!

Keep us updated with him and his future mate!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Danhm87":34smul6t said:
kingofnobbys":34smul6t said:
Danhm87":34smul6t said:
kingofnobbys":34smul6t said:

12x MED = 3g

Danhm87

Original Poster
I know I said I would wait a week but I can't...

I must say that I have been devouring every bit of expertise I can find on beardies. And I believe this expertise from you all has given me the tools necessary to give my little girl, Rustina, optimal living conditions...

She is a fat pig and I love it
24b6wlt.jpg

dzxod4.jpg

I'll get more pics later and make a post them in the appropriate place

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great job, looks happy + healthy ! Be careful of te size of the insect though....that roach is on the large side and impaction can kill a small dragon like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom