My 2 month old breadie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa91

Hey everyone.

I am truly concerned.

I have a 2 month old bearded dragon but for 2 weeks now she is not opening her eyes, and stopped eating i have to help her eat. Today i noticed her eyes look greyish and there was like white puss-like stuff in her one eye the other one remains closed please i really need advice. Its giving me sleepless nights

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Can you please post photos of your beardie, and of her enclosure and lighting? And then please list details about what brand/model/type (tube, coil, compact) your UVB light is, and the same for your Basking light, including it's color? And then your basking spot, hot side ambient, and cool side ambient temperatures, and what type of thermometer you're using to measure the temperatures?

Usually a photoconjunctivitis occurs due to improper lighting, there are very specific lighting and temperatures a bearded dragon MUST HAVE, and there are many lights that can cause severe eye issues and even blindness. So let's get it straightened out before it starts causing other issues too, like failure to thrive, loss of appetite, lethargy, Calcium deficiency, stunted growth, etc. It may be necessary to take her to an experienced reptile vet for an antibiotic for the conjunctivitis, but fixing the husbandry issues is first.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur , urgent reptile vet assessment . I think the eye issue is a secondary issue and something more serious and lifethreatening is wrong with him.

And please thoroughly work through my cheatsheet , as I suspect he was already very sick when you got him , or there are some serious issues with the advise the seller gave and the petshop gave you .
Here is my cheatsheet : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

It covers :
>heating & lighting
>UV
>substrates
>lighting schedule
>feeding schedule
>feeder insects
>and other husbandry issues.

If you work through it methodically , the chances are there are likely a lot of issues that need to be tweeked or changed and they will pop right out at you, if you can give very detailed answers we will then be in a position to offer help. Is impossible to help you if you don't provide thorough details .

At 2 months old he's only a baby and should be very active and eating three meals of live insects per day (as many as he will take each meal). Lethargy in such a young dragon is very serious issue. and not feeding for more than a week is a very bad indicator.

Have you tried assist feeding her bugs to her ? See UTUBE for how : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVupVG9E06s
is she able to chew and swallow these ?

Melissa91

Original Poster
I honestly dont know how to put pictures on this chat forum. She has a SunGlo basking light 50watt and a uvb 5watt tube light

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Alright, you've got a lot of husbandry issues that you need to get corrected immediately or she's not going to make it. First and foremost you need to get all of the sand out of the enclosure immediately, completely disinfect the enclosure and everything in it inside and out (all decor, bowls, basking platforms, etc.), and once it's all disinfected with either F10SC disinfectant or bleach and then rinsed well and completely dry, you need to put down clean, dry papertowels on the bottom as her only substrate, and just throw them away and replace them as they get soiled. Bearded dragons should not ever be on ANY loose substrates, but particularly babies and juveniles should not ever be on any type of sand, crushed walnut shells, bark, mulch, wood chips, rodent bedding, gravel, pebbles, rocks, etc., nothing loose ever. They are all a huge impaction risk, especially for such a young baby, and they also harbor lots of bacteria, fungi, and parasites, and will just keep reinfecting her until removed. Plus, the sand is no doubt getting in her eyes and is probably one of the main contributes to her conjunctivitis. So please do that now, and after cleaning put the paper towels down. You can worry about a permanent solid substrate like ceramic or vinyl floor tiles, Non-adhesive shelf life, etc. later, for now just get that sand out, get it completely disinfected, and get the paper towels down.

You're lighting is completely inadequate for a bearded dragon, and her lethargy, eye-shutting, any appetite loss, etc. that is already happening (or no doubt will happen soon) is due to inadequate UVB and UVA light for a bearded dragon, along with inadequate temperatures, as there's no way a 50 watt basking bulb will get an enclosure that size up to the correct temperatures. And why do you have the basking light on with the UVB tube off? A 5 watt UVB tube is essentially doing nothing for her anyway, but you should have both her basking bulb and her UVB tube on together, right alongside side each other so she gets both at the same time while basking, and both alongside each other and directly over top of her main basking spot for at least 13-14 hours every single day! She is going to stop growing, stop eating, and develop Calcium deficiency and severe MBD without the correct UVB light on for at least 14 hours a day. And she cannot digest her food with inadequate temperatures, and definitely cannot digest mealworms and will become impacted from them.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
She does need a long, flourescent tube UVB light, but it must be a 10.0 tube (never a 5.0 tube for a bearded dragon!) and for that size of enclosure it must be a 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB tube, not a 10.0 T8 UVB tube, because the UVB tube must be strong enough to emit proper UVB light throughout the enclosure, and her main basking spot must be within 6-8" of the unobstructed UVB tube if you use a weaker T8 tube. Only a 10.0 T5HO UVB tube is going to be strong enough to provide her adequate UVB light in that size of enclosure, and with a 10.0 T5HO UVB tube her main basking spot must be within 11" of the unobstructed UVB tube, so the 10.0 T5HO UVB tube allows for the greater height of the enclosure. You must also make sure that the long, flourescent tube fixture is rated for a T5 tube and 24 watts, which I'm assuming yours is not. It must also have a reflector in the fixture behind the tube to get the UVB light down to her at a distance of 11" from her basking spot. The 24" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube is on Amazon.com right now for $24.99, and if you select the tube and then scroll down the page, Amazon will present a package deal that includes both the 24" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube and a 24" flourescent tube fixture with a reflector that is correctly rated, and it's at a good price. I'd order the UVB tube and the fixture immediately, as this is the time in her life she is supposed to be doing the most growing and developing, and she is not going to thrive at all without a proper UVB light.

Melissa91

Original Poster
My husband corrected me now the tube is 10 watt but a T8. I have a 13 watt spiral uvb lamp which is uvb 5.0 what should i use?...

I just had the basking lamp on to take pictures for you guys its her sleeping time now.

Melissa91

Original Poster
94347-1178426776.jpg

Disinfected and cleaned. Wood also disinfected and dried with hairdryer.

What happens next?

And i do give her calcium powder 1s a week

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
A young beardie will need calcium dusted on the bugs 5 days a week and vitamins the other two days. Your uvb tube is for forest species and beardies are desert species. Those are only putting out half of what he needs. I don't know about the coil bulb but they are not good either. I recommend getting arcadia 12%. You need to measure the closest distance to the uvb and your beardies back, the closest that they can get to it. They need to be able to get 6-8 inches of a T8. If it is around 12" then get a T5. Like this: http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t8-bulb-18/ Keep in mind you will need a fixture that will fit the T5 and the correct wattage. I don't know what size your fixture is so keep that in mind as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good advice from Kyleena + Ellen....your bulbs are not strong enough and the baby is not getting quite enough heat and definitely not good enough uvb. If you correct those problems you may see improvement soon [ hopefully ]

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would take him outside at least 30 minutes a day if weather permits, until you get a new uvb. Real sunshine is better than uv from a bulb. It also looks like you don't have a reflector for the uvb. I would consider getting one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom