Eyes closed, trouble eating, not moving

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie Artemis keeps having her eyes closed all the time and she is having trouble catching her food. I just noticed last night I was using the wrong bulb I was using a coil bulb instead of the long tube bulb. I went and got a tube bulb this morning but it feels like the damage has already been done to her eyes she's having trouble catching her food and doesn't seem to react to my hand in front of her face or if I'm going to go poke her in the eye she doesn't close her eyes. I've only had her for roughly a week. She's probably about 3 months old maybe. The place I got has a 15-day return warranty. But if she's blind I know they're going to kill her but I also don't know what to do if she is blind because that makes me sad. Any suggestions?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
First of all, please, please do not return her to the pet store or breeder, as you're correct, they'll probably euthanize her so they don't have to deal with the problem, which may very well resolve itself...That shouldn't be an option. I'm assuming that when you got her she could see just fine? What brand/type/wattage of coil bulb was this that you used? Does she have any goop or crust in her eyes at all? Do her eyes actually look different than they did?

If you could please post a photo of her and a photo of her enclosure and lighting, and then give us the details of what UVB and basking bulb you're using now, along with what her Basking Spot, Hot Side, and Cool Side temperatures are, and what type of thermometer you're using to measure the temperatures with, we need to make sure her setup and lighting is now correct, that's the most important thing to get corrected while she's this young and hasn't been exposed to it for long. This will prevent other issues from occurring, and assure that she'll grow properly and stay healthy from this point on. Her eyes need time to adjust, but we need to make sure that her lighting is now adequate wavelength, strength, and at the appropriate distance from her Basking Spot and if it's obstructed in a way that will prevent her UVB and UVA absorbtion. If she's only been out from under the bad coil bulb for a day or so then you'll need to give her eyes some time to recover, unless she has goop/crust in them, as some bulbs are known to cause photoconjunctivitis, in which case she needs to see an experienced reptile vet ASAP for proper medication.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
Thank you for responding. I have a class for another hour and a half and then I will post pictures of the enclosure and my dragon. I am just very scared that my lizard is in a lot of trouble. Part of me hopes that you're right and she is just adjusting to all the new lighting or she just needs your eyes closed to take a rest because of the old lighting I don't know. Hopefully you can help me out because I don't want my lizard to die and I also don't want to Blind Dragon

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
94226-3159609768.jpg

This is her with her eyes open which doesn't happen really unless she is being held outside of the enclosure

94226-7187275798.jpg

Eyes closed

94226-4837342007.jpg

Those are all my bulbs. I am no longer using the coil bulb. Due to its badness. I am using a 75 watt basking bulb pictures. A 75 watt normal bulb. Ignore the nighttime bulb. The ceramic heater there in the picture. And I was using a red basking bulb but o returned it because it's apparently bad for her. Then my new uvb bulb is a Reptisun 10.0 tube.

94226-2163877669.jpg

There is her enclosure there in the picture. The most left bulb is the 75-watt Basking bulb. The middle bald is not actually a bulb it's my ceramic heater the right bulb is a normal 75 watt bulb. And then I don't have the UVB light on but you can see it in the back of all the other light fixtures I don't have it on because I'm giving the lizards eyes a break which is something I read online. I also bought some turtle eye drops. Something else I also read to help the lizards eyes. My thermometer on the cool side is not working but frankly I'm not sure I need the other normal 75 while bulb at all. I could probably get away with the just the Basking bulb in the ceramic heater in the middle of the tank it is roughly 87 degrees. The Basking side is roughly 95 to 100. So I don't know what the cool side of the tank is going to guess the 75-watt bulb isn't keeping it all that cool.

Anyway please help I'm very scared for my buddy. I've only had her for a week but she means a lot to me I don't want anything bad to happen to her. I don't want to have to take her back to the pet store because I know she'll be killed. And if I can avoid going to the vet that would be wonderful because I'm a poor college student. But I'd like to do whatever I can to fix my buddy. I am here to answer any questions you have I just want her to be okay.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
EllenD":dq9mgmtw said:
First of all, please, please do not return her to the pet store or breeder, as you're correct, they'll probably euthanize her so they don't have to deal with the problem, which may very well resolve itself...That shouldn't be an option. I'm assuming that when you got her she could see just fine? What brand/type/wattage of coil bulb was this that you used? Does she have any goop or crust in her eyes at all? Do her eyes actually look different than they did?

If you could please post a photo of her and a photo of her enclosure and lighting, and then give us the details of what UVB and basking bulb you're using now, along with what her Basking Spot, Hot Side, and Cool Side temperatures are, and what type of thermometer you're using to measure the temperatures with, we need to make sure her setup and lighting is now correct, that's the most important thing to get corrected while she's this young and hasn't been exposed to it for long. This will prevent other issues from occurring, and assure that she'll grow properly and stay healthy from this point on. Her eyes need time to adjust, but we need to make sure that her lighting is now adequate wavelength, strength, and at the appropriate distance from her Basking Spot and if it's obstructed in a way that will prevent her UVB and UVA absorbtion. If she's only been out from under the bad coil bulb for a day or so then you'll need to give her eyes some time to recover, unless she has goop/crust in them, as some bulbs are known to cause photoconjunctivitis, in which case she needs to see an experienced reptile vet ASAP for proper medication.

I don't know how this works but hopefully you get notified I responded

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
Is it at all possible that she is sleeping? Because I just fed her again not that long ago and she wasn't missing her crickets. But after she ate she pretty much is just like closing her eyes and then laying still not moving then every once in a while shell like open her eyes move around for a second then closes eyes and then stop moving for a while

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I know Ellen will get back to you but until then I think you def. need to turn off the ceramic heater and possibly even the other basking bulb. If you have to choose, turn off the CHE, the other light will brighten the tank [ if you need that much heat] Her sleepiness may be due to being overheated. I'm pretty sure that's what her problem is, so take care of that ASAP. Offer water dripped on her snout to give her a drink, too. Not if it's late but you can do so tomorrow.

But it's great that she's eating ! I doubt very much that she's blind, beardies aren't really fazed by a hand in front of them if they're in the zone looking at something else.

As for your uvb bulb, is it a t5 or t8 ? It will say on the bulb. If it'd the t8 you can mount it inside by using wire to thread through the screen like I have in this [ bad ] picture. Hope you can see it O.K.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

If it's a t5 you can leave it on top.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
AHBD":2p32gyny said:
Hi there, I know Ellen will get back to you but until then I think you def. need to turn off the ceramic heater and possibly even the other basking bulb. If you have to choose, turn off the CHE, the other light will brighten the tank [ if you need that much heat] Her sleepiness may be due to being overheated. I'm pretty sure that's what her problem is, so take care of that ASAP. Offer water dripped on her snout to give her a drink, too. Not if it's late but you can do so tomorrow.

But it's great that she's eating ! I doubt very much that she's blind, beardies aren't really fazed by a hand in front of them if they're in the zone looking at something else.

As for your uvb bulb, is it a t5 or t8 ? It will say on the bulb. If it'd the t8 you can mount it inside by using wire to thread through the screen like I have in this [ bad ] picture. Hope you can see it O.K.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

If it's a t5 you can leave it on top.

So are you suggesting that I take her off of all forms of heat as a whole? If so for how long. Right now where I live is about 9:45 p.m. so I'm going to bed and probably about 3 or 4 hours. And our room as far as temperature of our household is around 71 72 degrees are you suggesting I go the entire night from now until morning without any heat source or just for a short amount of time

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can turn off all heat for the night but not for daytime. Put all the lights on during the day , including the Reptisun uvb, just leave off the CHE. It's too hot with the 3 heat sources, that will make them sick. And can you check to see if your Reptisun 10.0 is a t8 or t5 ?

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
AHBD":23ded68n said:
You can turn off all heat for the night but not for daytime. Put all the lights on during the day , including the Reptisun uvb, just leave off the CHE. It's too hot with the 3 heat sources, that will make them sick. And can you check to see if your Reptisun 10.0 is a t8 or t5 ?

So what if I just use the Basking bulb and the ceramic heater or was you just suggest for turning the ceramic heater I bought all together and just use the normal house bulb of 75 watts and the Basking bulb plus the UVB light. I just want to make sure he's all good. Also the Reptisun is a t8. Why would it matter to move it into the enclosure?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, just the 2 bulbs IF you need them to achieve the proper temps. The basking side should be about 105, but one end of the tank needs to be no more than 80. You were using all 3 at the same time ? That would def. be too hot.

And the reason for the uvb to be mounted inside is to be sure she's getting enough uvb. If it sits on the top she will only get uvb if she's up high on a taller basking perch, and the screen will cut about 30% of the uvb. So it's best to mount it inside, especially since she's not climbing much in her condition.

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing because I really love my dragon. Everything I've read has said use a ceramic heater. Should I just use the ceramic heater at night? Used to bulbs during the day? I mean trust me if I can get rid of the ceramic heater altogether that saves I mean trust me if I can get rid of the ceramic heater altogether that saves me like $35 I can take back to the store tomorrow. I want to make sure Artemis is happy and healthy. Also is it possible that she hasn't pooped because she's been overheated?

pinkrambo13

Original Poster
AHBD":2r8lexjr said:
Yes, just the 2 bulbs IF you need them to achieve the proper temps. The basking side should be about 105, but one end of the tank needs to be no more than 80. You were using all 3 at the same time ? That would def. be too hot.

And the reason for the uvb to be mounted inside is to be sure she's getting enough uvb. If it sits on the top she will only get uvb if she's up high on a taller basking perch, and the screen will cut about 30% of the uvb. So it's best to mount it inside, especially since she's not climbing much in her condition.
Forgot to quote you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Right, you don't need the CHE at all unless it gets below 67 in your house at night , like if it's colder in the winter. They can take it colder than that but for a baby I like to have it at least 67.

So how long since she poo'd ? That can be from a couple things....what EXACT size are the crickets ? Can you post pics of them next to a coin ? If they're even slightly too large they can cause impaction. Or if she's dehydrated that could make her constipated. Has she drank anytime since she's been with you ? If she's been too hot + is dehydrated that may cause constipation.

Offer water dripped on her snout ....do it for a minute or so to see if she'll drink. You can drip, stop, repeat until she drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom