Vomiting beardie :( advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been out of crickets for a couple days now, we are waiting for a shipment of crickets to come in but in the meantime I've been feeding off my calcium worms, medium meal worms, and medium super worms, also giving dandelion greens and some clover greens as a treat. Yesterday I came across a bag of beardie food, anyway I gave it to them as directed I wetted it, and a few minutes after showing them the food they started eating the meal worms that came in the food, one of my girls vommited up the food within 15 min of eating then proceeded to hide for a good few hours.. :( came out at night time to sun bathe..

Today, I noticed after giving them their greens that theirs something that's either poop (it's in the shape of their poop) but it's not brown and white it looks like undigested food and it's slimy! I'd post pictures but the uploader appears to not be working for me no matter what I try.

Any advice? Should I do Pedialyte? I gave them both water last night and a bath and they drank for a good long time! Should I just stop giving food?

percyandwinston

Damn :/ its really hard to say what to do tbh. I would continue to offer food to him, if he eats its a good sign. Whenever I hear of beardies throwing up a lot of the time its impaction. That might not be the case it could be something else but I would honestly take him to the vet ): I know it can be a lot of money but if he is impacted that way you can get it cleared out asap.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Never ever feed any freeze-dried insects to them, they have absolutely ZERO nutritional value, and ZERO moisture. So not only are they getting no nutrition but they also get dehydrated and very impacted!

If you ever want to try a commercially available beardie pellet food, never ever buy one that has freeze-dried insects in it. You're a lot better off going to Petco or PetSmart and buying Repashy Grubpie, or for pellets buy either Repcal Juvenile beardie pellets or Mazuri Bearded Dragon pellets, I offer both at all times, I've always done that with all 3 of my beardies, and both my male that lived to be 12 and my current 9 month old girl and my 3 month old boy love them dry. I always have done that, just so they always have food after they finish their greens, and both the Repcal and the Mazuri pellets are very healthy and well rated. I would never feed the Zilla pellets or any other commercial dry food with freeze-dried insects in them, I guarantee that the insects made them sick.

What you're seeing in her poop are the undigested freeze-dried mealworms. Mealworms are hard for them to digest even when they're alive because of the hard chitlin shells, so if they eat freeze-dried mealworms that have all moisture removed it's nearly impossible for them to digest them, so they just come out whole. I would keep offering water or unflavored Pedialyte from a dropper for as long as she will drink it, and you probably will want to go buy some prune or squash baby food and a can of plain, raw pumpkin (with the canned vegetables in the grocery store) so you can make a slurry of the baby food, some raw, canned pumpkin, a little unflavored Pedialyte to thin it and add electrolytes, and a few drops of vegetable oil or olive oil. Mix this up, heat it up in the microwave, stir well so there are no hot pockets, test it on your wrist like a baby bottle because you want it warm but not hot, and use an eyedropper to drip it on his snout. Usually they'll lick it off, then drip again, lick, drip, etc...Give as much as she'll eat. Hopefully by tomorrow you can give her a warm bath and the slurry will cause her to pass the impaction. When she does finally go in the bath, be prepared to see a bunch of undigested mealworm shells...

Hopefully she vomited up most of what she ate, but I'm guessing she's impacted, possibly both are. How many of the freeze-dried mealworms did they each eat?

Lovinonmybell

Original Poster
Well it was definitely poop the last time because I picked it up and their was that white stuff.. can't remember the technical term . I think your right she was impacted, last night she threw up all over the place the meal worms we fed her. I feel so bad. Grabbed some baby dubias out of our starter colony and she gobbled them up no problem. She hasn't been hiding either so maybe she will be okay. Will take her to the vet if she changed though. Thank you :)

I had no idea about the food.. I always planned on giving her insects and fresh greens but the food is definitely what made her sick. Luckily she's back to herself now but that was scary! Thank you for the advice

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm glad she's doing better, it's a good thing that she vomited them up actually. It's not your fault, they shouldn't sell that garbage in the first place. Like I said, I always keep Repcal Beardie pellets in their enclosures, it's not necessary but I have always liked them to have food at all times. Just so happens they love them! But any freeze-dried insects or freeze-dried greens/veggies, which is another thing being sold for beardies now, are just no good and have zero nutrition. So nothing wrong with the high-quality pellets like Repcal or Mazuri, but nothing freeze-dried. And if you ever run into this situation again and you need a food supplement in a hurry, Petco and PetSmart both sell Repashy Grubpie, that's your best bet, it's almost as good as live bugs...

Lovinonmybell

Original Poster
Alright, I actually ordered some rephashy grub along with the Guy load for the crickets and dubias that is coming along with the crickets so that will be here any day as well. I'm just gonna throw the freeze dried food away, I was gonna give it to the Dubia but if it's not good for the beardies then it's not of use giving it to the Dubias .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lovinonmybell":9je9pvde said:
Alright, I actually ordered some rephashy grub along with the Guy load for the crickets and dubias that is coming along with the crickets so that will be here any day as well. I'm just gonna throw the freeze dried food away, I was gonna give it to the Dubia but if it's not good for the beardies then it's not of use giving it to the Dubias .

Probably wisest thing to do ... ie ditch the freeze dried bugs.

Live bugs is your best option , if you are out of them, GrubPie seems to be very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom