Summer Brumation!? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deanna

Hello :)

I am a little concerned about my 1 year old male. He has been off his food for about 5 days now, refusing to eat anything. I have bathed him to help him poo and still hasn't eaten after his toilet.
His been staying in his hide so I have been moving him to his heat/UV around lunch time and 20 minutes later he goes back. He is falling asleep on and off and going to bed at his own will about 6pm.
I have tried a new UV and heat bulb (no change, temps are fine). Yesterday he went to his hide around lunch time and was scratching for about 20 minutes, then he managed to pull his blanket from underneath him and create a wall in front of him with it so no one can see in and he snuggled into it and has been asleep since. Its now the day after (midday) and I've come home from work to find him still asleep, gave him a stroke to see if he was ok and it took a good few minutes for him to open his eyes the tiniest little squint and then close them again. Can any one give me any advice on what could be wrong or what I should try doing? Can they brumate in the summer months? (It's summer here in UK, dull and rainy though) His never brumated before. As far as I am aware he is a very healthy dragon and I have had him health checked a few months back. He is very well looked after. Should I take him to the vets in case its not brumation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank-you.

Deanna & Gladiator (his name) :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nasty weather coming or around in your area lately ?

.... my guys all hunker down when stormy weather is on it's way and while it's bucketing down and thundery , even in summer.

They are in a climate controlled home but still sense the nasty weather is coming. This could be what your boy is doing.

Deanna

Original Poster
Hello kingofnobbys

Thankyou for replying to my post.

The weather isn't awful. It's raining and then sun, rain, sun etc. But it's not like stormy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deanna":3codw1pl said:
Hello kingofnobbys

Thankyou for replying to my post.

The weather isn't awful. It's raining and then sun, rain, sun etc. But it's not like stormy.

That's enough , keep in mind their natural range is very dry tropical and subtropical woodlands and sevannahs and they can go their entire lives and never see rain or standing water or running water.
He's picking up on the humidity and pressure variations and responding to them by hunkering down.

Deanna

Original Poster
Ok, thank you ever so much. I hope it is just that and of course I'll keep a close eye on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom