Our journey- Multiple bacteria, Adenovirus, no appetite....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chango04

I wanted to post whats been going on with Leonard for help, support, or even to educate others that may be going through the same thing.

We got Leonard 12/16 and he was 6 months old. Acted normal and ate crickets and greens well.
2/17: he was more lethargic, didn't eat or poo as well. First Fecal came back with coccidia, pinworms and flagella. Did treatment, which helped 50%. 2 rounds of ceftriaxone injections, and still not 100%.

5/17: Did culture of poo and came out with HIGH AMOUNTS of bacteria, 3 different types- one worried the vet. Now more antibiotics which were tailored towards the culture. Purchased F40 disinfectant and cleaned tank weekly. He continued to decline with lack of appetite, lethargy, and few and far between poo's.

7/17 Tested positive for adenovirus (they say mild form based on symptoms) and yeast. He was eating about 2-4 medium dubia's every 2-3 days but no greens/fruit. Started on fluconazole and Tamiflu. Activity is the same but now not eating dubia's either. Vet then added a supplement to help his liver "milk thistle/lactulose/dandelion root". Is a slimy substance, and he actually has poo'd 3 times since starting it. But still not eating.

7/25/17- vet recheck. Has lost 9 grams (no food intake x ~10 days). Last visit was 281 now 272. Today we are adding critical care 4ml 2 times a week.
Besides the not eating (now greens and proteins) and some lethargy (hangs out in his cave often during the day) he seems to be stable. Fingers crossed the critical care will give him some more energy and make him feel better.

Today the vet said that she thinks he may have gallstones as well. Will continue to monitor and recheck him in 3 weeks. Possible X-ray to come.

What I thought was going to be a nice first time pet for him teenage son has turned out to be a lot of money, work and time. But, we wouldn't have it any other way. He is part of our family now.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Hi Chango, very very very sorry to hear about Leonard's challenges, it's heart wrenching to be sure. He's incredibly lucky to have you as a family though! ;)

Tho we did not have the bacteria and pinworm issues, Lizzy also went thru lethargy and not eating only to test positive for ADV. In its mild forms they can have very happy lives and while our girl is only a little over a year old, my son and I wouldn't give her up either lol.

The meds for the worms are harsh and I'm very hopeful that once you get Leonard over all that he will be a really easy going buddy for your family. Hope to see more of what's happening with you all in future posts!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kudos to you for doing so much to help him ....

I wish more of the people who come here looking for free advise and free home remedies and for sympathy (for them (not their pets)) were as diligent and caring as you obviously are.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Leonardo, that is very rough!
It does sound like you are doing everything you can. How long will he need to be on the fluconazole?
The dandelion root & milk thistle should really help his liver & immune system out. The critical care is highly nutritious so hopefully it will help him get his appetite back soon. The Lactulose is usually given just short term, to help flush out the liver.
Has he not tried to eat on his own at all?
The vet thinks he may have gallstones?
Are you keeping his tank around 80 overnight? That can help boost his immune system right now
while he isn't feeling well.
Which UVB light are you using currently?

I am currently working on a remedy/cure & am making progress though it's slow.
Keep trying, don't give up on him. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom