Bad shed/hurt foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up and my baby beardie's foot had alittle blood on it, and looks alittle black I don't know if it's stuck shed or if she has got her foot stuck on something and hurt it... Not sure if I should rush her to the vet or not.. It looks like a few of her toes are also black,

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Is she housed alone ? Do you have a green mesh hammock ?
They can get their toes & nails caught in those hammocks. It might be a good idea for the vet to see her.

Karrilawson

Original Poster
She is housed alone, her hammack is not the green one it is a brown woven one, I have used these for all my beardies have never had this issue, she was just shedding so I don't know if it is a bad shed or what waiting for my vet to open to find out.. But in my case where I'm from we only have one vet that takes care of reptiles and hard to get her in.. She ks eatting and acting normal, I give them soaks everyday so I'm not sure... But I found this web page googling everything I could to help find answers until the vet opens

Karrilawson

Original Poster
Yes when they go into shed I always use a soft tooth brush to help get it off I'm new on here and can't figure out how to upload a pic

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I see he's a transluscent. Poor little guy, it looks like there is a retained shed on one toe and a bit more unshed skin on his leg so he may have bitten it himself. You might try some raw unpasteurized honey on it, then a very light gauze wrap + a thin piece of tape to keep him from biting it . The gauze + tape should only be about 1/4" wide, you can cut with scissors if need be. Of course it will need to be an inch or 2 long to wrap around the foot, but just go around 2 times so it's not bulky.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
She is a cutie. I'm glad to see AHBD has posted some advice. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site. Keep everyone updated on how she is doing.

Karrilawson

Original Poster
Will that help to get the shed off? I soak her daily.. To help with the shed.. I also heard you can use antibacterial medicine one it but.. Wouldn't that absorb in the skin and hurt them?? I have already soaked her again this morning of course plan to do it again.. I have never had a issue with a bad shed so wasn't sure what to do or if it was a medical vet issue... Or if it was something else...

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I've heard a lot of people suggest honey, and I've also heard of it as a healing source for humans so I'm pretty sure that this would be a lot safer than an antibacterial medicine. If she did bite herself in the foot, chances are she needs some healing honey! As far as it helping with the shed, it may not shed right away but once her foot is healed there's a very good chance of it shedding with her next full shed (she still looks young so she's likely to have another soon).

Karrilawson

Original Poster
Yes she is still young hasn't had a full shed yet.. Just her tail, head, and feet... She still has the pink dot from the place that shipped her to me.. I'm just freaked out because I lost my bearded dragon that I had for 14 years and my husband bought me her and I don't want anything to happen to her.. I'm so upset of the fact this even happened..

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I'm so sorry to hear about your other bearded dragon :( but wow 14 years is a very very long life! I don't think I've heard of a beardie living that long. I'm sure with a little honey your new baby will be fine - it's totally normal to be worried.

Karrilawson

Original Poster
Yes she lived a very long healthy life! I vet check my beardies every 6 months but I just received pheniox so I was holding off until she got just alittle bigger to take her for a check up.. But it looks like she will be going now...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":1tls1i46 said:
I see he's a transluscent. Poor little guy, it looks like there is a retained shed on one toe and a bit more unshed skin on his leg so he may have bitten it himself. You might try some raw unpasteurized honey on it, then a very light gauze wrap + a thin piece of tape to keep him from biting it . The gauze + tape should only be about 1/4" wide, you can cut with scissors if need be. Of course it will need to be an inch or 2 long to wrap around the foot, but just go around 2 times so it's not bulky.

The OP says he just got the little hatchling, who knows how it was cared for before being shipped to them.
Chances are it's been bitten on the hand and toes and arm by another hatching before being shed.

OP : have you seen him biting at his own hand and arm ?

If you have some betadiene in the medicine chest,
>> try daily soaks of the sore fingers and hand and arm in dilute betadine in a little glass of water , (only need add the stuff dropwize until it takes on a cold tea colour).
>> 10 - 15 minutes soak of the arm
>> pat dry
>> some raw honey on a piece of surgical swab (cotton woven is best) and apply some honey using a cotton bud to the injuries
>> wrap the honey impregnated swab LOOSELY around the injured arm
>> a little bit of hypafix tape to hold the dressing LOOSELY in place (do no stick it to her skin)

make sure there are no rogue crickets or roaches or locusts in the viv as they will be drawn to the honey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom