Condition not Improving

Status
Not open for further replies.

panagringa

Alright alright, I've had my bearded dragon for 8+ years, since she was 6 weeks old. The first time I allowed her to be cared for by someone else, I went out of town. She lost weight (according to my friend, she had no appetite). No worries, I fixed her right back up. A few years later, in May of this year, I went out of town and left my beardie with a friend for about a month. He claimed that she was "dying and not eating." Okay. I come to his house, look at the enclosure, all looks well, except he's using a UVB only bulb with no source of heat. I immediately get a new UVB & basking lamp in-one and feed her, she eagerly eats all of the food I place in front of her (25~ crickets, some greens, wax worms). This goes on for two days or so I'm calm, think that she's just stressed again from the move. I had noticed her doing a "yawning" behavior, I believe the term is gaping. At first I assumed that she may be too hot because who knows how long she had been living without heat, but then she was still doing it off the lamp. Then it got more frequent. Then she was becoming lethargic, and when she would walk, her front leg would drag under her body and she could barely lift her torso off the ground. I take her to the vet. The vet gives me injectable antibiotics (Cefradine, if I'm remembering correctly). She's on her third dose now, every 72 hours. Anywho I noticed that she seems extremely dehydrated and lethargic. Not only this, but now that I've been staring at her for so long, I realized the antibiotic has caused some sort of yeasty substance to grow in her mouth. For this, I've taken to giving her pedialyte twice a day as well as chlorohexidine as well as another antifungal/antibacterial solution that I swab on the site with a Q-tip. I've been able to place leafy greens (alfafa, spinach, etc) as well as wax worms in her mouth, because she's not interested at all in eating, but I don't try for very long because I don't want to force her to eat either. I'm beginning to become concerned because she's been on antibiotics for a week now, and still has two weeks left but her condition doesn't seem to be improving. She's extremely lethargic, spends prolonged periods of time with her mouth open, and will shake in my hand. Any advice? I've been told multiple times it could just be old age, but I've also heard stories of beardies living 15+ years with great husbandry.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Some punctuation would be nice - makes it all easier to read .

Chances are the antibiotic is not effective for the infection she has (if she indeed has a bacterial infection of some kind). Were bloods taken to be cultured and have sensitivity tests done to determine the best antibiotic ?
Sounds like something neurological to me , Lethargy & shaking due to long term inadequate UVA exposure. What is your UV source EXACTLY and it's brand and how far away from her basking spot , and how old is it ?
Perhaps an other vet in different practice should take a look at her and do tests and give a second opinion. My experience has been vets are very hit and miss.

Need much more information and details on your beardie's setup and your husbandry otherwise we can't even hazard a guess.

Here's my Cheat Sheet :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

If you work through it methodically , the chances are there are likely a lot of issues that need to be tweeked or changed and they will pop right out at you, if you can give very detailed answers we will then be in a position to offer help. Is impossible to help you if you don't provide thorough details .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry you are having trouble with your dragon!
Please do review your tank setup with us a bit more, so we can help pinpoint any trouble
with your current setup.
Do you have any pictures of your dragon & of your setup that you could post for us?
Which antibiotic did the vet put her on?
What type of supplements are you giving her?
For now, since she isn't feeling well I would use a ceramic heat emitter to keep her tank
around 80 overnight to boost her immune system.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom