Elliot: The Baby Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today my beardie has a swollen neck. I went away for the night and had my family feed her. They gave her 5-6 small crickets and now her neck is slightly swollen. I have a 100 watt Reptisun UVB bulb and her basking temp is around 100 degrees. I don't know what's up though. She also turned black today but when I picked her up she calmed down. PLEASE HELP!!

ElliotTheBeardie1

Original Poster
The tank is 45-50 gallons and the UVB bulb is a 100 watt(Reptisun). The Basking light and nocturnal Basking light are also 100 watts(ZooMed). She has a large piece of wood for her to climb on and a hollowed out log for a hiding place. She also has a green floor piece that almost is like moss. She is about 7 inches long. They fed her between 8 and 10 in the morning.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Ok so she is quite a little one in a big enclosure.
I first want to say they do not need a nocturnal light, so you can save some on the electric bill by removing this permanently :D

Substrate sounds ok, like a carpeting.

The only thing is the UVB wattage sounds incorrect. UVB is generally not a high wattage, about 24w or so depending on the length. A 100w UVB bulb would have to be a mercury vapor bulb if anything.
Does it look like this?
zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

Or is it like this?
zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-mini-compact-fluorescent-bulb.jpg

Or this?
lg-27554-60869-reptile.jpg

ElliotTheBeardie1

Original Poster
It's usually between 90 and 100. The lights are in a row across the top of the screen in this order: UVB, basking, nocturnal basking. BTW she is regularly handled and is rarely passed around the room and held by my whole family.
Update: The swelling has stopped but her neck is still larger that usual. She has some stress marks on her chin and belly still but when I hold her they go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom