Elliot: The Baby Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today my beardie has a swollen neck. I went away for the night and had my family feed her. They gave her 5-6 small crickets and now her neck is slightly swollen. I have a 100 watt Reptisun UVB bulb and her basking temp is around 100 degrees. I don't know what's up though. She also turned black today but when I picked her up she calmed down. PLEASE HELP!!

ElliotTheBeardie1

Original Poster
The tank is 45-50 gallons and the UVB bulb is a 100 watt(Reptisun). The Basking light and nocturnal Basking light are also 100 watts(ZooMed). She has a large piece of wood for her to climb on and a hollowed out log for a hiding place. She also has a green floor piece that almost is like moss. She is about 7 inches long. They fed her between 8 and 10 in the morning.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Ok so she is quite a little one in a big enclosure.
I first want to say they do not need a nocturnal light, so you can save some on the electric bill by removing this permanently :D

Substrate sounds ok, like a carpeting.

The only thing is the UVB wattage sounds incorrect. UVB is generally not a high wattage, about 24w or so depending on the length. A 100w UVB bulb would have to be a mercury vapor bulb if anything.
Does it look like this?
zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

Or is it like this?
zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-mini-compact-fluorescent-bulb.jpg

Or this?
lg-27554-60869-reptile.jpg

ElliotTheBeardie1

Original Poster
It's usually between 90 and 100. The lights are in a row across the top of the screen in this order: UVB, basking, nocturnal basking. BTW she is regularly handled and is rarely passed around the room and held by my whole family.
Update: The swelling has stopped but her neck is still larger that usual. She has some stress marks on her chin and belly still but when I hold her they go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom