Regurgitated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxx26

Hi everyone!!

I don't post much but reading all the posts on all the boards here have been such a great help. I've run into some trouble with my beardie, Digger, this week. For some background information...

I got him about two months ago. 40 gallon breeder with a 100 watt basking bulb and a reptisun uvb light. Basking temps at highest point reach about 103-107. Mid 80's on the cooler end. Repticarpet on floor of tank. I give him two types of lettuce each day and fresh water. He primarily eats crickets 2x day although I have tried dubias and nutrigrubs which, strangely, he did not prefer. He had been pooping usually 1x a day on average.

I fed him Monday morning as I usually do. When I came home there were at least 3-4 poops around his tank and regurgitated crickets also around the tank. I feel he's more yellow in color then he usually is. I have offered crickets since then and he won't eat. I've given him a warm bath each day. He's more lethargic then usual. I'm worried and not sure what to do at his point to help him. The fact that he pooped makes me think he isn't impacted. Most of the crickets I give him are eye length long but those ones with wings are maybe a bit bigger. Could this be why he regurgitated them? How long can he go without eating? Should I syringe feed him purées?

Looking for some support and guidance from those with more experience!! Thank you all

Jaclyn

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jaclyn, how big is Digger ? If he's a baby or a juvie, then crix that are too large can cause this, as can feeding too late in the evening with not enough time with the heat on to digest food.

Just be sure the crix are no larger than space between his eyes from now on . Offer water dripped on his snout for a drink, unless he actually drinks in the bath. Otherwise an eyedropper or syringe to drip water for now to hydrate him.

He may not eat for a day or 2 but should bounce back. Can you post pics of him as well as his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

Jaxx26

Original Poster
Thanks for the response so quick! I'll take some pictures and post at some point today. I usually feed him around 7-8 am and then again at 3-4 pm with lights out around 7 pm.

Regarding drinking, I've never actually seen him drink water. During the bath I gave him yesterday he licked water off his nose as I dropped it on. I tried that again today and he didn't lick it. I assumed he was drinking while I was at work but I guess I can't be sure?

Will he for sure bounce back if it was just the cricket size? I'm worried since this happened on Monday. He seems more alert today but still won't eat.

Thanks again

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, they usually bounce back after a day or two, sometimes a bit more. You can offer pureed food if you like but he should be feeling better soon. Just offer a few crix at a time a first.

Jaxx26

Original Poster
A problem!! My little guy was still not eating today so I ran out and found critical care and tried to feed him a bit with a syringe. I didn't have much luck but he did lick a little off his nose a few times. About an hour later he pooped a very loose greenish poop... and I noticed a tiny worm in it!! Pinworm?? I'm calling the vet tomorrow to get him in asap. Anything I should know or do in the meantime? Hopefully the vet will be able to get us in early tomorrow.

Thanks for the support
Jaclyn

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy. They'll probably give him some Panacur , and although some dragons lose their appetite on meds , the Panacur doesn't always have that affect and may even help his appetite. If not you can get some probiotic like non dairy yogurt or order it from here. www.bugdelite.com

Jaxx26

Original Poster
Hi--

I wanted to post an update and ask for some suggestions maybe if any are available. I did end up taking Digger to an emergency vet near me along with fecal sample. They did fecal float and fecal smear. They reported that he did have pinworms/eggs but that it was within normal limits for most dragons. Discharge paper says "5-7 eggs per slide notes" and decal smear was within normal limits. They felt like he may have had a blockage in his intestines and suggested X-rays. I had to decline those at the time due to cost ($150 on top of the already $300 spent). They said he actually didn't look too bad and prescribed; panacur, metacam and cisperine. This all happened on Friday and I've been giving him the meds and critical care food since then. He has not at all improved and has actually gotten worse. Black beard, even more lethargic, spending most of his time on bottom of tank. I feel like I'm losing him and I'm just feeling clueless as to how to help, and if it's even possible that I can at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else it could be or what I can do for him??

Thanks again
Jaclyn

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear this....and what is cisperene, or is that a misspelling ? I think that he should be off all meds, that's way too much junk for a beardie with an upset tummy, vets do this all the time. Metacam is a painkiller, you don't need a painkiller with an upset tummy, you just need rest and time to recover. Just give him water + a bit of critical care. And please post some pics of him ASAP. I described how to in my first post. I'll be gone for a few hours but would like to see how he looks when I get back. I think the meds. + stress from vet visit has made him worse.

Jaxx26

Original Poster
I'm so sad to hear I may have made him worse with all of this. Cisperine is a motility med.... for his GI track to help him poop if there was a blockage. Should I stop all meds including the panacur? I guess so since those levels were within normal limits anyway for pinworms.

I tried posting a photo previously from the link but wasn't able to from my phone. My laptop always acts up so I don't typically use it. Should it work from my iPhone? Maybe I was doing something wrong. I'll try again thanks

Jaclyn

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
To help him poo, try a bit of baby food squash or sweet potato and a drop of olive oil and honey. Those are natural laxatives and beardies actually like them [ except maybe the olive oil ] Then put him in a warm shallow bath for 10 minute [ watch him the whole time ] about 4 hours after he's had the mixture.

He may still be O.K, try not to be too worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom