Nails coming off toes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 6-7-month-old beardie that lost 3 of his nails on his left front hand all starting from the same side of his hand. The night after I noticed they were missing, I heard him scratching at his small tree decoration and at the carpet substrate that I have lining his tank and had just assumed that he had scratched them off while trying to get in between the tree and the side of his tank (where he always ends up sleeping) But just tonight I noticed he was missing two on his back right foot on opposite ends of his feet. A few of the nails are sort of bloody looking but it doesn't seem like it bled much at all, but the rest of the nails are clean on the ends with no blood.
He's currently in a 50 gal tank, I dust one of his 2 meals of crickets a day with repticalcium that is D3 fortified and I have a very large UVB bulb over the top of the tank. I take him out every other day in the yard to get some sunshine for about 20-30 minutes and feed him a generous amount of dandelion greens and occasionally clover if he ends up getting his mouth on it before I can stop him. The temperature is about 95-100 on the hottest side, and there is little to no humidity in my room. I havent noticed anything else wrong with him health wise except that his tail is noticeably darker at the end, but I'm putting raw honey on it on the off-chance that it is tailrot
I'm planning on taking him to a vet but decided to check if anyone has experienced this and if they had some answers before I end up having to pay a vet bill lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Allie, can you post close up pics of his toes , his tail and then some pics of his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

It's possible that all the scratching has dislodged some of his nails. Sometimes they get snagged in hammocks, too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He's scratching away and waring the nails to the nub in the process, they often do this if they scratching away at hard abrasive surfaces. Not an issue to worry about.

I notice you have a red globe. These are not suitable for use in bearded dragon enclosures as they change the colour of everything the beardie sees (including food) , not good.

Please remove the red globe and replace it with either"
>>> a MVB
>>> a par38 colorless incandescent spotglobe or equiv in a halogen globe.

Can you give us a run down on your lighting (exactly what you have)
basking/heat
brand'
wattage

UV
type (coiled , T8 tube, T5HO tube)
brand
wattage
%UVB rating
is it in a reflector hood
is it mounted ontop or under a mesh lid
distance from basking spot

alliemlock

Original Poster
Okay, I removed the red bulb and replaced it with a zoo med 75w 120v, will that work ok?

I have two basking bulbs so it reaches a higher temperature because with just one it only gets to the high 80s because my house is kept at cool temperatures

The UVB is an Agrobrite high output T5 24w 6400k and it's mounted on the wire top. I recently bought a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube bulb but I'm having trouble finding the right length socket that can be put inside the tank.

The other basking bulb is an aquaculture 120V 75w and is on the very top of the tank along with the UVB, so about a foot from the bottom of the tank. However, I do have a tree underneath the basking bulb and he usually climbs up the tree and gets about 5 inches under the bulb to bask.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
alliemlock":2dq4c3r5 said:
Okay, I removed the red bulb and replaced it with a zoo med 75w 120v, will that work ok?
<<<< Those Neodymium (UVA) basking globes are a waste of money , expensive , not durable and don't put out much heat.

Better of having one basking bulb , either a MVB or a par38 colourless incandescent or halogen domestic (indoor/outdoor) spot globe + a T5HO 10-12%UVB tube in a reflector hood.
If you need extra heating to get a basking spot temperature at 40-43 degCelsius and warm zone about 35 degCelsius, go to a higher wattage.

I have two basking bulbs so it reaches a higher temperature because with just one it only gets to the high 80s because my house is kept at cool temperatures

The UVB is an Agrobrite high output T5 24w 6400k
Agrobrite UVB tubes ARE NOT suitable , the spectrum is bad. Best place for it is in the bin, very risky light to expose your bearded dragon to , judging from the price per tube, dirt cheap Chinese rubbish.

and it's mounted on the wire top. I recently bought a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube bulb but I'm having trouble finding the right length socket that can be put inside the tank.
I think you need to be educated see my cheat sheet : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

Please arrange to mount the UVB tube and it's reflector hood (if you are in the USA see LLLReptile that have heaps of suitable T5HO reflector hoods.

The other basking bulb is an aquaculture 120V 75w
>>> show us the bulb , I am not familiar with it .... is it an incandescent spot globe ?

and is on the very top of the tank along with the UVB, so about a foot from the bottom of the tank. However, I do have a tree underneath the basking bulb and he usually climbs up the tree and gets about 5 inches under the bulb to bask.

alliemlock

Original Poster
so wait is the reptisun 10.0 ok? I saw it recommended on here and thought it would fit inside the metal reflecting fixture I had the other cheap UVB bulb in, but tragically I was wrong. I'm pretty much accepting the fact the almost everything the petsmart employees say is a lie and that I need completely different things than what i already have

so I need a larger wattage heat bulb, preferably a halogen spot or flood light and a reflective fixture that goes inside the tank, right?

also here is what the heating bulb I have going now is. since it's not over 20 bucks, I'm guessing its junk?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fluker-s-Aquaculture-75W-Daylight-Bulb/26853853?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018295561&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40342117232&wl4=pla-78302074832&wl5=9010777&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=26853853&wl13=&veh=sem

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
alliemlock":20oc4bv5 said:
so wait is the reptisun 10.0 ok? I saw it recommended on here and thought it would fit inside the metal reflecting fixture I had the other cheap UVB bulb in, but tragically I was wrong. I'm pretty much accepting the fact the almost everything the petsmart employees say is a lie and that I need completely different things than what i already have

REPTISUN 10.0 is T8 tube , and is good quality tube and OK
if the viv is not a full 2ft tall
if the tube is in a reflector hood designed to accommodate T8 tubes
if the tube and reflector hood are mounted UNDER the lid (no screen / mesh between the tube and the beardie (will block approx. 25-30% of the UVA and UVB emitted - you don't want that).

BUT : need to allow beardie to get under 8" from this T8 tube to get high enough UVA and UVB.

Easy mistake to make.

Since you have a T5HO fixture (does it have a built in reflector ?) you are better off returning the T8 tube and exchanging for Zoo Med Reptisun T5HO 10.0 tube , or even better an Arcadia T5HO 12%UVB tube.
https://zoomed.com/t5-ho-reptisun-10-0-uvb/

Basically : yes - PetSmart are useless and you can't rely on ANYTHING their clueless sales staff tell you and definitely don't buy based on their recommendations.

so I need a larger wattage heat bulb, preferably a halogen spot or flood light and a reflective fixture that goes inside the tank, right? Yes

also here is what the heating bulb I have going now is. since it's not over 20 bucks, I'm guessing its junk?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fluker-s-Aquaculture-75W-Daylight-Bulb/26853853?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018295561&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40342117232&wl4=pla-78302074832&wl5=9010777&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=26853853&wl13=&veh=sem
<<<< it's cheap nasty Chinese junk , will have very cheap Neodymium phosphors and cheap nasty poorly made silica in the bulb , will leak dangerous UV spectra , might be OK for growing plants , but is harmful to reptiles (and people) , best place for it is in the rubbish bin.
Any MVB or compact UVB or T8 UVB or T5HO that doesn't have either Exo Terra , or Zoo Med , or Arcadia brand on the box is best left in the shop where you saw it. All others are Chinese rubbish.
Neodymium basking (UVA) globes are in the main not worth the expense (they are fragile) and don't put out enough heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom