Why did my baby beardie die?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a beardie a couple weeks ago, she was very small and frail, she would not eat at all when I first got her and I looked it up and read that it was normal because she was getting used to her new home, she ate about 2 crickets in one week and that's it I would try to feed her more I would try mealworms and calci worms and nothing would work and yesterday I noticed that she would not respond to me picking her up she wouldn't even open her eyes and then today I tried feeding her a couple times nothing took her out to nap with me and then a I find her dead on the side of her bed and I'm so upset I don't know what I did wrong or why she would not eat, my other beardie healthy I just don't understand

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm so sorry this happened. :( It's true some dragons won't eat well for a few days or a week when they go to a new home but it sounds like your baby was possibly sick from the start. It may have had a rough time before it got to the store or it may have even had a disease like the atadenovirus....no way to tell for sure without a necropsy. Did you get your other dragon from the same place ?

My beardie didn't eat good for the first couple weeks she came home, the first 5 days she only had a cricket here and there, now she's a piggy! Sounds like your little one was sick :( pet shop beardies are very poorly cared for, I got both of mine from the pet stores locally and they both had parasites making them very skinny and sick. I don't think it was anything you did ❤️

Justiceserene

Original Poster
I hope not, I got my first beardie at petsmart and I got layla(who passed) at petco, if she had a disease does that mean that my other beardie could have it now ? He seems healthy to me, I'm very upset should I try to go to a vet to see what happened?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Justiceserene":pfi2pkb4 said:
I hope not, I got my first beardie at petsmart and I got layla(who passed) at petco, if she had a disease does that mean that my other beardie could have it now ? He seems healthy to me, I'm very upset should I try to go to a vet to see what happened?
Poor little girl :( .... to die so young. I can imagine how upset you are.

If they were they sharing a viv it's highly likely the other is now infected.

But even if not (sharing) you may have inadvertently passed any infectious pathogen on simply by handling both if you didn't take steps to quaranteen her.... a very good policy to quaranteen new comers for at least a few months and practice good infection control during that time.

If they were sharing , this may well have contributed to the new little one's death (too scared / stressed to eat), though as said , it's most likely she was already very sick and the stress of relocation tipped her over the edge .
The shop more than likely knew she was sick when they sold her to you (because petshop staff nearly always know FA about the proper care of lizards and give only enough food to keep them alive (maybe ?) in order to maximize the profit from each lizard when sold and they simply don't care if they get sick or get attacked and injured by the other lizards or even if they die before sold , and they are forced to share a display tank with lots of others nearly always with totally inadequate lighting and hardly ever cleaned .
I'd be taking the little corpse back to the petshop and demanding a refund.

A necropsy might indicate the cause of death (but no guarantees there). Probably a waste of money.

If she had a nasty infection (atadenovirus say) and shared or you handled her then the other or the other's food without washing hands properly, yes, it's likely the older beardie is now infected. You might be lucky and be in the clear, only time will tell.

If you plan on getting another to replace her , PLEASE make sure you properly sterilize her viv and all her viv furniture (I recommend investing in a 200 ml bottle of F10sc and a 1L spray bottle , and using 1 part F10sc : 250 parts water in the spray bottle to sterilize the her viv and stuff , essentially all you need do is spray all hard surfaces with diluted F10 , let airdry for 30mins , and wipe away the residue with a piece of dry paper towel and you are done ==> all the germs will be dead.

Justiceserene

Original Poster
I actually do have that and I cleaned my viv but I'm deffinately going to take Marvin to the vet too just to be sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom