cracking popping sounds in jaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Ok so my sister's Ranger is about a year old. She's rarely home so I've been taking care of him. He has a red UV light (that just burnt out last week) and he does not eat veggies at all unless I force a sprig of spinach in his mouth. Even then he spits it back at me. But he LOVES super worms and crickets. His crickets are dusted. (He's not my first reptile rodeo). He's a citrus dragon but he looks grey to me. Lately when I've got him out and were hanging out watching t.v. he will yawn and his jaw makes the gnarliest crunching cracking sound. Like grinding teeth and cracking knuckles. I've searched and searched the internet for an answer with no resolve. He doesn't seem sick and he doesn't puff his beard. He's ultra super chill. He doesn't really do much To be honest. He just kinda sits there. Almost like he's miserable.... but he's not hissing or puffing so I know he's content. Besides a calcium deficiency what else can cause cracking jaws. Any answer will be greatly appreciated. I wanna make him happy but he's a tough crowd to please... unless there are bugs involved.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
I'm very concerned that you mention a "red UV light"... My gut feeling is that you're talking about a red basking bulb, which a) isn't good for your beardie (they see the red colour the same way we do, so it's very disorientating and will keep them awake if left on and b) Doesn't put out ANY UVB. I would say the poor guy is suffering from MBD. He needs a good light ASAP, either a reptisun 10.0 or an arcadia 12% (or a MVB, never used them so I can't guide you there). This could be the cause for his jaw noises.
Please run us through everything:
His EXACT UV light (brand, type, wattage etc)
His tank temps, and what you're taking them with (probe thermometer, infrared gun, stick on dial?)
How big is he (length and weight, and does he have his full tail)?
What EXACTLY you're feeding him (oxalates in spinach binds to calcium and stops them absorbing it)
How many feeds of insects does he get? How often are they dusted? What with?

I'm sure we'll have more later, but that seems like a good place to start. Your entire description sounds like severe MBD to me.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok well the red light is one my dad buys. He "swears" by it do any and all reptiles. Its an exo terra heat glow 50w bulb. He also has a blue light. It is a 60w.. (it has no labels on it so I'm not gonna like I might just be a regular lightbulb...)

I don't have a thermometer. I thought there was one in there but now upon inspection.... theres nothing but a heating pad. But even that has been turned off. I think it was making the glass too hot. He has no bottom cage covering. We normally use felt but he's made a filthy mess so it's being replaced.

He's got a full tail.

We dust the crickets in the dust the pet store gives. They come predusted. (The guy my dad buys from at the pet store dusts the bugs free of charge.) The super worms reside in a coffee can with calcium dust. He normally eats till he's full. H
That could be 5-15 worms or 3-7 crickets (if he can catch them)

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well it looks like this batch of worms have no dust... And I have no dusting powder... any good suggestions.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Yeah the heat glow bulb you mention is just for heat so it sounds like the setup doesn't have any UV which is a massive problem and is probably causing MBD as well as other problems, you need to get a proper UV T8 or T5 setup right away.

I would also get some calci powder, multivitamin or nutrobal and dust yourself. Also super worms are not a great feeder, high fat and also hard to digest(especially with no UV), they should only be used as a treat. If you can get calci worms then I would recommend them, high in calcium and protein or silk worms.

You also need to get a thermometer and check the temps, heat mats are also not recommended as can cause burns and won't be needed if you get the temps right with the heat bulbs, if it gets cold overnight then use a ceramic heater, get rid of the coloured bulbs as bad for beardies.

First priority though is definitely get the UV setup, the previous poster recommended some good brands. Not trying to scare you but without the UV it will lead to serious permanent problems and eventually death.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
I strongly suggest you read through the care sheets on here and we can keep going over your setup till it's right.
First priorities are:
-Get the temps right. You need a thermometer, either a probe one (needs to take at least 2 temperatures, basking spot and cool side, you may need two thermometers) or an infra red temperature gun. Basking spot should be 100-105ish, cool side about 80, and it shouldn't drop below 65 at night (use a CHE if needed). It is CRITICAL that these temps are correct.
-the UVB. He needs strong, proper UVB asap. If you can, get a T5 reptisun 10.0 or arcadia 12%, with reflector hood, and make sure he can get within 10 inches. If you can't get the T5, then a T8 is ok, but you'll have to get him a bit closer.

I would also try and get him to a herp vet and get them to xray to see how bad the MBD is, and to give him a thorough check over.

Please keep us updated, and ask questions if you need to!

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So i rearranged his home. I found a b
Good heat lamp to keep it toasty inside. I'm still working on a uv light but I've been taking him outside to sit in the Sun till I can get him a uv lamp. I've also been giving him some good exercise with like warm baths. He's a GREAT swimmer lol I Leo swapped his water dish for an 8x8 brownie pan lol he slept in it the other night. I guess he was very dehydrated. In just a matter of days he's gone from dark brown to a golden sand yellow. I'm actually going away for a few days so I've given the responsibility of keeping his lamp on to my 5 year old (my dad has a habit of turning it off at night and the temperature drops to 70 in there) my son has glady and excitedly accepted this responsibility.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
For now, going outside is your best option with him, the sun will provide the proper uvb he needs. Get a uvb tube light as soon as you can, like a reptisun 10 5.0 HO, or arcadia not sure what model on those.

The sun is the best uvb/uva you can get and it is very important for them. Their scales going bright is a good sign. A ceramic heat emitter is great for keeping night temperature up and will allow lights to be off.

Please keep us up to date on how he is doing, any information will be happily provided.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Remove that water pan asap.

Not only is that a drowning hazard, but as you decided he slept in it, which would greatly cool down his body temperature and could make him sick or kill him. Dragons do not need a water dish. Just feed juicy bugs and veggies and offer water via dropper on the nose.

I think photos and a proper run through of what you have going on is needed. It sounds like critical stuff is missing. I take it he was without uvb his entire life which could cause many health concerns, explaining the jaw issue.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, all I can say here is #1 he's never had any UVB light, let alone a proper one, so he has severe MBD, and all the calcium and multivitamin dusting is completely pointless because he isn't absorbing a bit of calcium without a uvb light. He needs 12-14 hours under a proper UVB tube EVERY SINGLE DAY, so unless you're taking him outside all day long, you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 (not a 5.0) immediately and get it mounted inside the tank, not on a mesh or glass lid.

#2, you don't seem to understand how important having a proper temperature gradient is to bearded dragons, they are not like other reptiles. You say you bought a "new heat bulb that keeps it nice and toasty", well that's not necessarily a good thing bud. You haven't even bought him a proper digital thermometer with a probe on it (no round gauge thermometers)...He needs a COOL SIDE between 75-80 degrees, a HOT SIDE between 88-93 degrees, and a BASKING SPOT between 100-105, and his basking spot must be within the correct distance from the UVB tube, unobstructed by anything, whenever you get around to getting one, which needs to be ASAP. If his jaw is cracking and popping the Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) he has is very advanced, which makes sense since he's never had a UVB light at all. His bone density is non-existent because he's never been able to absorb any Calcium because he's never had a UVB, so the "popping and crackling" from his jaw you're hearing is actually his bones and joints literally deteriorating. No joke.

And without proper temperature zones he cannot digest any nutrition at all. Bearded dragons bask under the sun (in captivity they bask under their UVB tube and their basking light) immediately after they eat, because in order to digest and process the food they just ate, they absolutely must absorb UVB and heat. You have absolutely no UVB light, some kind of heat light, improper temperatures, and no way at all to even know if the new heat light you bought is literally cooking him. If his basking spot is hotter than 110 you're cooking him.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, but rather trying to get you to understand how sick this beaded dragon already is, and I'm sorry but at the very least he's going to have permanent problems, without a UVB tube and proper temperatures he's going to die. He'll become unable to use his legs, he'll start seizing and his spine will twist IP, and he'll die. That might be graphic but it's true. So please, take this more seriously and listen to us, we know what we're talking about, we see this every day, all day long. I think it's great that you want to help try and save him, but you need to act fast, because a year or more without any UVB light kills most beardies.

And please, please, please, remove the pan of water!!!! He's either going to drown or he's going to be dead one morning because he fell asleep in it and the cold killed him. Please, no pans of water!!!! He doesn't need any water, they don't typically ever drink out of bowls, they get hydration from their veggies and live bugs, and will usually drink if you drop water on their snouts with an eye dropper if you think he's dehydrated. But the pan of water needs to go now, he already fell asleep in it and I can't believe he didn't die, that happens all the time too.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EllenD":3vgppyfb said:
Yeah, all I can say here is #1 he's never had any UVB light, let alone a proper one, so he has severe MBD, and all the calcium and multivitamin dusting is completely pointless because he isn't absorbing a bit of calcium without a uvb light. He needs 12-14 hours under a proper UVB tube EVERY SINGLE DAY, so unless you're taking him outside all day long, you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 (not a 5.0) immediately and get it mounted inside the tank, not on a mesh or glass lid.

#2, you don't seem to understand how important having a proper temperature gradient is to bearded dragons, they are not like other reptiles. You say you bought a "new heat bulb that keeps it nice and toasty", well that's not necessarily a good thing bud. You haven't even bought him a proper digital thermometer with a probe on it (no round gauge thermometers)...He needs a COOL SIDE between 75-80 degrees, a HOT SIDE between 88-93 degrees, and a BASKING SPOT between 100-105, and his basking spot must be within the correct distance from the UVB tube, unobstructed by anything, whenever you get around to getting one, which needs to be ASAP. If his jaw is cracking and popping the Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) he has is very advanced, which makes sense since he's never had a UVB light at all. His bone density is non-existent because he's never been able to absorb any Calcium because he's never had a UVB, so the "popping and crackling" from his jaw you're hearing is actually his bones and joints literally deteriorating. No joke.

And without proper temperature zones he cannot digest any nutrition at all. Bearded dragons bask under the sun (in captivity they bask under their UVB tube and their basking light) immediately after they eat, because in order to digest and process the food they just ate, they absolutely must absorb UVB and heat. You have absolutely no UVB light, some kind of heat light, improper temperatures, and no way at all to even know if the new heat light you bought is literally cooking him. If his basking spot is hotter than 110 you're cooking him.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, but rather trying to get you to understand how sick this beaded dragon already is, and I'm sorry but at the very least he's going to have permanent problems, without a UVB tube and proper temperatures he's going to die. He'll become unable to use his legs, he'll start seizing and his spine will twist IP, and he'll die. That might be graphic but it's true. So please, take this more seriously and listen to us, we know what we're talking about, we see this every day, all day long. I think it's great that you want to help try and save him, but you need to act fast, because a year or more without any UVB light kills most beardies.

And please, please, please, remove the pan of water!!!! He's either going to drown or he's going to be dead one morning because he fell asleep in it and the cold killed him. Please, no pans of water!!!! He doesn't need any water, they don't typically ever drink out of bowls, they get hydration from their veggies and live bugs, and will usually drink if you drop water on their snouts with an eye dropper if you think he's dehydrated. But the pan of water needs to go now, he already fell asleep in it and I can't believe he didn't die, that happens all the time too.

As soon as I put the water in he sat and drank from it for 25 minutes. It's a shallow pan so he couldn't drown. I made sure it wasn't full enough to drown. He will not eat veggies. Ive tried everything. The next step would be a force feed but i really dont wanna do that with a bad jaw. He's been eating his calcium dusted crickets. And looking alot better. I'm not actually sure If he slept in it all I know is when I came in in the morning he was still sitting in it.. I took him out and he quickly ran back in it. He likes it so I won't be taking it out. I also put him in the bathtub and he jumped out of my hands and into the water to swim. He loves the water.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
It doesn't mater if he likes it the water pan isn't good for him and will damage his health, they are desert creatures and don't need to soak in it. The water could lower his temp and kill him, it can also cause issues with the scales. You can put it in for 20 minutes a day so can play in it.

Did you get the UV sorted? Have you taken the temp of the Viv yet, if he is seeking out the water and drinking so much it may be too hot.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Apparently the OP is more concerned with leaving a water pan in the enclosure than even mentioning anything anyone has told him about his husbandry. This is frustrating, saying "He likes the pan of water so I won't be taking it out" is irresponsible. You're his owner, and he can drown in very little water at all, but more importantly is his body temperature! If he lays in water all night it will eventually kill him. That being said, I'm not as concerned about the damn pan of water as the fact that your husbandry is detrimental to his health. You stated "He looks much better now", but he cannot possibly be well at all if he has MBD so severely that his jaw is cracking and popping. We're only trying to help you, and you have yet to even mention anything we've told you about your UVB lighting and temperatures. Bearded dragons are not like other reptiles, every single body function is entirely dependent on proper lighting, proper temperatures, and adequate calcium absorbtion. If his jaw is cracking and popping it should be obvious to you that you have a serious issue. You're using a red light that is bad for him and leaving a pan of water inside his tank that he sleeps in all night, and you don't seem to care that you're doing things that can not only make him very sick, which he already is, but kill him.

I'd suggest that you take our advice about changing your lighting, buying a proper thermometer that isn't off by 20 degrees and one that you can actually measure the basking spot temperature with (if he gulped water out of that pan for a long time that should tell you that you're temps are most likely way too hot, but you wouldn't know because you refuse to properly measure them), and getting the 3 crucial temperature zones inside his enclosure within the correct limits.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....so you say Ranger is eating well but taking long drinks ? Your sister probably had'nt fed or given him water in a while. And his color is bright now ? He's probably feeling better but still needs some changes. Funny how some dragons DO like the water but it is best just to let him only have short soaking periods so he can't lay in it over night.

Can you post a few pics of Ranger as well as his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, you could leave a shallow pan of water in during the day, but, take it out in the evening & overnight to reduce the chances of drowning or him getting chilled by laying in the water.
Please do review your tank setup with us, because husbandry plays a vital role in their health.
Are you using a UVB light for him?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom